SDS Stunt Helmet yellowing & cracking

Originally posted by BingoBongo275@Jan 4 2006, 09:30 PM
I wasn't taking about the Code of Conduct, I was talking about deleted posts. Stay focused fella, you can do it. You wanna bring crap up, I have absolutely no problem with that, but don't you DARE cry foul when I throw it back in your face.

Motofish, I presume the posts were deleted since they contravened the CoC, but I'm sure the mods will confirm if you ask them.

No problem with focus here. However as Treadwell has said, I dont think its unreasonable to expect you like the rest of us to adhere to the CoC.

Cheers

Jez
[snapback]1150744[/snapback]​

Funny you mention that. Last year when I appealed to Lonnie to do just that, he told me in a PM that he couldn't find "said" posts and that I was "making it up"

I was so shocked I couldn't even respond. I mean they were pretty obvious posts. Unfortunately I don't copy and save every page of an argument, although some people here have been known to do that.

I don't really hate you Jeremy, your attitude on the matter is another thing though, past and present. Remember, you made me your enemy, not the other way around.

Boys, how about back on topic?

Something I noticed on one of my SDS helmets was fingerprints of a clear glue here and there. I wonder if that's what's on yours in those spots and is turning yellow? Any fingerprint texture in those spots?

Originally posted by motorfish@Jan 4 2006, 10:21 PM
Funny you mention that. Last year when I appealed to Lonnie to do just that, he told me in a PM that he couldn't find "said" posts and that I was "making it up"

I was so shocked I couldn't even respond. I mean they were pretty obvious posts. Unfortunately I don't copy and save every page of an argument, although some people here have been known to do that.

I don't really hate you Jeremy, your attitude on the matter is another thing though, past and present. Remember, you made me your enemy, not the other way around.
[snapback]1150783[/snapback]​

Motorfish,

How I have made you my enemy I really do not know. Other than your friendship with TE I have had little or no communication with you.

If you have a problem then I suggest you contact the mods and I will do likewise and we can ask them to try and resolve this situation, or it can be done via pm or phone. I am open to all channels.

btw only two people call me "Jeremy", Jhyphen and my mother. Since you're neither I'll ask you not to

Cheers

Jez

Again apologies for the interruption to the thread

I checked my SDS Hero last night. There is some discoloration on the area where the earpiece attaches to the mask. There is also a ‘yellow streak’ on the lower back part of the helmet. Its pretty visible.

I don’t smoke and the helmet was kept out of direct sunlight. AA had marked the helmet as a ‘prototype’ hero so I am not sure if the discoloration was due to the manufacturing process, quality of material used, weather or the alignment of the stars. Sigh. :(

Is there a way to avoid further discoloration? Thanks.

Originally posted by motorfish+Jan 3 2006, 04:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motorfish @ Jan 3 2006, 04:49 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-rigormortis
@Jan 4 2006, 12:44 AM
To get this topic back on target (instead of the b-fest by non-owners that it's become), I just got mine and the plastic is paper thin under the aerator - a really thin pull.

Dunno if AA will honor a replacement, but it's something I wouldn't expect to see in an expensive, professional helm.
[snapback]1149935[/snapback]​

Can you see his signature through the back of the helmet WITHOUT shining a light through the inside? The last one I saw you could faintly see the sharpie marker signature from the outside of the helmet.
[snapback]1149941[/snapback]​
[/b]

Dan,

I saw that SAME helmet and posted here about being able to see his signature through the plastic months ago and I was called a liar and BS'er. Thank you for validating this.

I just called a buddy of mine that has one, but is not on the boards, and he said AA had not gotten back to him.

He left msg's and emails before the New Year.

I'm happy to report that I received my repaired Stunt Helmet today from SDS. I must say it was a white knuckler with all the legal stuff going on. I had nightmares of my helmet being confiscated by US Customs or SDS vanishing into thin air but I must say that AA did what he promised and for that I say Thank You.

AA replaced the front face and ears due to the cracking and yellowing(see pics on first page). He said that it was a mystery how this happened and that it did not look like anything chemical or sun related that could have caused the deterioration of the plastic.

And now my repaired Stunt will take its place on the wall where it shall remain for a long, long time.

w1sqqe.jpg

Looks like AA came through....as he usually does for anyone that I've known had a problem with a particular helmet...

Maybe I should go check my hero and stunt helmets....

According to AA, the discolouration of my helmet might be due to “your climate in conjunction with cleaning agents we may have used. We do not have to use cleaning agents on the armour as we are now in full production.”

“Your prototype helmet might have been cleaned in the areas showing discolouration...If it is not anywhere else on the helmet, then it is not likely to appear now.”

Good to see the issue was dealt with. I have to admit I have always been a bit nervous as far as yellowing, but no problems here yet.

-----

/edit :confused

I just took a closer look at my helmet, and there is some yellowing on the bottom of the earpiece as well as a slight bit in some teeth.

---

Overall, it is a shame to see the continuous AA bashing. Its just way too personal in a common interest that is supposed to be fun. We would never have badgered each other like this as kids growing up with Star Wars. In all contacts I have had with Andrew, he has been nothing less than polite and accommodating. He's just a guy who offered the best he could to us but has received massive backlash for it. Its unfortunate.

I've maintained that the value of these helmets are not neccessarily their exact replication but rather their crafter. They are artworks, and I'm happy to have one. If perfect replication was really the issue, ROTJ suits would be a disgrace. TE, GF, AA...all artists and all should be appreciated. There is no need for the continuous conflict.

Sorry to be off topic.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back