Sculpting the Galaxy book price increase

I'd like to know how the relation classic to prequel stuff has to be expected.

I think the classic ones got neglected in the Dressing A Galaxy book (at least what I've been told - couldn't afford one yet).

I hope I'm wrong, but I read something about the extra stuff it came with and it didn't sound that great for the price.

I hope I'm wrong.

I think the meat will be the book itself, which is much less expensive.

<div class='quotetop'>(madphisto @ Jul 6 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]1275573[/snapback]</div>
I think the classic ones got neglected in the Dressing A Galaxy book (at least what I've been told - couldn't afford one yet).
[/b]

I don't think it's really accurate to say that the OT was "neglected" in Dressing the Galaxy. My understanding is that the original movies were out side the scope of the book. The book is by Trish Biggar, costume designer for the prequils, and the work she did on the Star Wars movies. Since she did not work on the OT, those movies don't fit in to this book. A lot of Star Wars fans were disappointed by this.

I will get this book, but I doubt it will be the limited edition. That $200+ price difference means another prop for the collection, and I think I would rather have a lightsaber than the extras listed thus far. There's still plenty of time between now and November for me to change my mind.

<div class='quotetop'>(midnightfett @ Jul 7 2006, 05:12 AM) [snapback]1275776[/snapback]</div>
Amazon has the regular version for $31.50
And the super dooper version for $295
[/b]
I will go for the $31.50 version myself.
There can't be anything that great for the extra $263.50

The Limited Edition comes with:

-Incredible Tri-fold Box; containing a deluxe hardcover edition and actual model reproductions, extra booklets and DVD

-Models reproduced from the original cast and handpainting of Lorne Peterson: including the Landspeeder with removeable figures of Luke Skywalker, Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi, R2-D2, & C-3PO, plus Death Star surface models

-Six additional gatefolds, 12 page booklet, an accordion styled foldout with cut-outs of the ships, 16 page booklet, gatefold of the "family tree" of creators and modelmakers

-A 32 page paperback showcasing all of the computer graphics and film's special effects, an 8 page booklet that serves as a guide to all of the model pieces included

-DVD featuring Star Wars model shop documentaries

-Expanded edition hardcover includes paper model "pop-ups" and laser die-cut plans of the kits

-Signed & Numbered edition limited to 3,000

-Certificate of Authenticity

Link to pub page on the book with details.
http://insighteditions.com/product_info.ph...0e500930d0b17b6

I review books for my job, did Dressing A Galaxy, SW 365 Days, Chronicles--The Prequels, the DK books, Cinema of GL, etc., and I'll contact Insight Editions and try to snag some early info on this. Since this is a November book, the publisher won't even have galleys or certainly review copies yet. Art heavy books get sent out for review very late because the pix are the last thing inserted and you can hardly review an art book without the art.

I'll let you know what I find out. Probably won't know anything until September.

Totally insane.

I bought the dressing a galaxy signature SE, via sideshow collectibles. I got it last year, fearing that I might not get this one, I ordered via amazon first, and then with two other retailers. In the end, I got the book from sideshow, about 15% more expensive than I expected it to be. And what can I say, at the moment there still are examples floating around Amazon.DE, for not significantly more or less the same money that they retailed for in the beginning. Amazon.COM still lists it at retail price, with a good number of sellers isting it for about 5% less.

So, what am I going to do ? If it really is a limited edition of 3000 pieces, then I´ll wait.

The only problem is that the model and prop freaks usually carry a bit more money and are willing to spend it more easily than the costumers/costuming ladies :lol:

Michael

Of course you all could do what I do and wait a year until they are overloaded with the stuff and start selling them so low that they're practically giving them away. But you may do as you please. But GAH. $400 for paper, ink and a DVD.?.?. Over my dead body man.

Still not enough to entice me to pay that kind of money....especially when the book itself is $50

If they sold the documentaries by themselves, the DVD would be $20 at the most. It doesn't add up....even with the castings since from a collector's point of view there will be 3000 of them anyway...

I love the book concept but I didn't get the Dressing the Galaxy since I knew there would not be a lot of OT...this book has more promise....but again the LE would have to have something very different in the content of the book for me to pay that much extra....

The DVDs might be interesting but I don't care much for the scale stuff.
Most important for me is OT content. Prequel stuff is secondary for me.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back