SCULPTING SMALL BUSTS IN CHAVANT OR….???

trooperprop

Hello,

My name is Bas from the Netherlands.
Recently I started modeling again. A few years back I sculpted some models.
Now I want to increase my skills and need some information about the types of clay to use ;-)
In the past I used creall-therm and super sculpty. I do not like the way some of my sculptures
came out of the kitchen oven.

I now want to make some bust. First in a 1:6 scale and later in a 1:1 scale.

ARE THE CHAVANT CLAYÂ’S GOOD FOR THIS?

IF SO, WHICH TYPE SHOULD I ORDER?

As for casting (if the busts turn out ok) I already ordered the book mold making and casting handbook! But any other tips in advance are more than welcome.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Bas

Hi Bas

Welcome to the board.

I use Super Scupley and swear by it, however, if you want to try different materials try a sculpting wax. The good thing about it is that you heat it with a hair dryer to make it pliable and it will begin to harden again.

It holds detail great and when you want to make a ould out of it, just pop it into the fridge or freezer to make it rock hard (or as you are in the Netherlands, just put it on your porch for 5 minutes.. :lol)

Although I have not used the wax myself, for 1/6th scale it will be perfect to practice with as you just re-heat and start again if you do not like how it has turned out.

Here is a supplier of the wax delivering to our side of the world:

www.tiranti.co.uk

The larger scale stuff, I think you should do a search and read posts by members such as Chewie15 and Davidyr1. They are both excellent sculptors and are always giving tips in their topics on the materials they use.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Remember to post pics when you have done some sculpting.

Draven

The Chavant products are great for sculpting but beware that many contain sulfur and will react badly (very pitted surface) with many RTV molding materials.

In fact, I've actually purposely used the pitted reaction that occurs for the inlay parts of some gun grips for which I wanted to have a textured finish.

why does EVERYONE from the Netherlands tell you they are from the Netherlands?

:confused

Originally posted by JediDave@Mar 26 2005, 03:41 PM

Any source in the US for this wax?
[snapback]952292[/snapback]​

Sorry - I have no idea? Maybe drop them a line for the manufactirer info and then google it?

Draven

Just look up: Castilene. That's the sculpting wax you're looking for. any good art shop should be able to order some for you.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back