sculpting question....about stormtrooper

DarthJRW

hey guys

i am trying to sculpt stormtrooper armor out of clay but i cannot make body casts,

hows the best way to accomplish sculpting it to were its the right size?

Think large kitchen trash can. :D

Seriously...
That is what I used in place of body casts. The cast I made of my torso (well...my wife and kids made with me lying flat on my back :p ) were too weak to support the weight of the clay. :lol

Here is a link to how I made my armor:
http://www.tk560.com/tkbig.html

Get creative and think out of the box.
If your body size is appropriate use a store mannequin, rolled up duct tape, chicken wire frame.....lots of stuff you can use. :thumbsup

Starkids1990

If you cannot make a full body cast,do what I did and make individual castings of your body parts.

I started with easy stuff like the forearms and biceps.I only made one half of each,and used that cast for both the left and right side plus inner and outer parts.Concentrate on getting one arm done then use a profile guage to mirror the sculpts for the other arm.

You can make the arm casts on your own,but you will need help with the legs and torso.Just use hessian/burlap and plaster of paris and be sure to wrap yourself with cling film :)

Failing that,you can make body shapes from mortar or plaster and sculpt on them.

-Paul.

Starkids that is amazing work. You have put a hell of a lot of effort into that suit. Amazing what you can do on a budget.

Joe

A body cast is not necessary. TK armor is not form-fitting like a batman suit, so there is no need to fit you body like a glove.

All you really need are the right measurements. If I can make a suggestion, Do a tracing of your body instead. Trace a front and side view onto a large sheet of paper, and use a pair of calipers to measure the true width of shoulders, waiste, legs, etc. You can use the drawing for your sculpt rather than a body cast.

thanks guys :)

i just decided to go the way of foam instead of clay ive already started on the hand pices and the shoulder is next :D

Originally posted by TK1536@Mar 29 2006, 09:55 AM
You don't want plaster of paris on or near your skin. The stuff gets very hot as it cures.
As always, check www.smooth-on.com for materials.
[snapback]1215476[/snapback]​

Ahhh....it's not so bad. After the inital "frying" you get a nice healthy pink glow to your skin. :p :lol :lol :lol

Clonesix,
What do you use for your "filler" to sculpt on top of, foam or do you use foam for sculpting itself.

Wanted to try this but not sure what is the best type foam for "larger sized" sculpts.

Starkids

hey guys

im using floral foam on some parts and then i will take a plaster positive from the vac-formed piece so i will only have to use the foam master once and not worry about it getting "completly" destroyed :D

but there are some pieces that i would like to do in balsa foam

were is the cheapest place online to get that stuff????.

thanks for all the help,

Darth

Here is Israel Franco's CAD files for his version of trooper armor. Me, I just used my calibrated eye tracings, and some MDF plywood.

http://www.imperial-armor.com/armor2.html just click on the link for the download.

Clay over some internal armature will save you a lot time and materials. Star off with the small armor parts and work your way up to the larger ones.

I too just made one fore arm, bicep, shoulder, and shin and just duplicated them.

Jim

Originally posted by Jimbo890@Mar 29 2006, 10:29 PM
Here is Israel Franco's CAD files for his version of trooper armor. Me, I just used my calibrated eye tracings, and some MDF plywood.

http://www.imperial-armor.com/armor2.html just click on the link for the download.

Clay over some internal armature will save you a lot time and materials. Star off with the small armor parts and work your way up to the larger ones.

I too just made one fore arm, bicep, shoulder, and shin and just duplicated them.

Jim
[snapback]1215879[/snapback]​
Cool link, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup

well guys the foam isnt workin out :(

so im taking troopermasters advice, ive got some plaster bandages and a load of plaster today. So now i am making casts of my arms and sholder then i will sculpt the final parts over that with clay :)

so now leads me to ask water or oil based clay???????

It depends....the water based is cheaper for me to obtain and what I use. I just keep spritzing water over my sculpts and covering them with plastic when I'm not working on them. The wax based stuff is more expensive but doesn't dry out so you can work on the sculpt then leave it alone for a while and come back to it.

Also remember a cheaper alternative to using bandages is to take old cotton rags or bed sheets (think Goodwill or flea markets) and make the bandages yourself. Just tear the sheets into strips, dampen it in water and slosh them in some mixed "wet" plaster. Important to get cotton fiber in whatever you use. The man made fabrics will not work.

Hope this helps... :)

Just remember one thing before you make the body casts.....CLING-FILM.

You will be sobbing like a baby trying to remove the casts if you do not cover yourself (parts your casting) with the stuff. :p

You can use burlap which is the cheapest option IMO.We use the stuff for covering walls that we are building at it comes in big rolls.Cut it up into strips and dip into your plaster.I found that two layers is enough fo a solid casting.I cut all the strips before hand and in several lengths,makes the job easier.Get everything prepared first and set out,and make sure you have a waterproof sheet on the floor if you doing it inside ;)

-Paul.

well....got my arm cast done :D

now im just trying to decide weither to use clay or something else and its very fustrating...lol :unsure

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back