SCULPTING OFFICIAL PREDATOR FIGURE

Venkman1

Hello, I'll get right to the point.

The only reason I signed up here is because I am sculpting parts of a PREDATOR ACTION FIGURE from P1 for a major toy company and I REALLY need as much reference on the plasmacaster as possible. Really, if anyone has any authentic castings from original molds of any part of the predator costume that they can photograph and show me, post them in the reference section where I have a similar post or write to me at valdroni@gmail.com.

I really want this figure to be as accurate as possible, perfect to the eye and this place seems like the best place to go.

We need to complete the figure as soon as possible, so I wish I found this place earlier, but I would really value authentic images of the classic predator especially focusing on the plasmacaster, gauntlets, backpack and technology.

Some of the costumed guys who appear at comiccon have very near-accurate looking shoulder guns, any chance any of those are from original molds? (I know it's not likely)

in this thread you see shoulder cannon pictures and I am wondering if the final image of the blue casting is trustworthy. I understood the thread to say that that is an ADI attempt to recreate the original, NOT a casting of the original?

Thanks for your help!

in the reference section is a thread dedicated to screen caps from P1 there is plenty of pics of the cannon in there. also check out carlarts website for some more pic of his armour.
as far as i know and i maybe wrong there isn't an original cannon about, not a screen used one anyway

This might raise some eyebrows: what company, scale of the model, articulation? :p

More serious though: yes, that blue cast is a ADI attempt of "faithfully recreating the Predator 1 shouldercanon". But sadly, it's overstylized to fit better with the AVP Predators. The original was a wee bit more tribal, best seen in the picture right next to the blue one, the left picture.

Keep us posted

did NECA get there predator license?.... please give us the same deal you did with the first alien... an 8 inch fully articulated P1 ( which would be a first you know!) and then an 18 inch P1 please? please? PLEASE? sorry if im jumping the gun, you might be on your way to something much cooler, i just heard they might get it, and i've been dyin' to have an articulated P1, mcfarlane and his "A" poses... then of course it's 18" counterpart would just kick so much ass!!!

Thanks for the help, I found some pics of carlart's recreation. His gun is helpful, but only in that it shows me what another sculptor concluded when he pours over screen caps and images, which is what I am doing myself. Not useless, because it can be helpful to see what another sculptor desciphered, but images of the original are of course preferred. I believe I have seen everything that can be seen from screen captures, so any other close-up pictures of predator, especially showing his backpack, gun and gauntlets, from books, magazines, whatever, would be awesome. Even other artist's recreations, especially if it is considered the most accurate to date recreation, would be appreciated, if clearly labeled as not original. In fact, I wouldn't mind more pictures of Carlart's interpretation of the gun. Is his considered closest to original by the community, including guns sculpted for professional statues and collectables?

Images of the original plasmacaster, or castings from original molds, especially revealing the back, bottom and side facing the predators head are top priority. It is very difficult to find that "other side" of the plasmacaster but it seems from pg. 104 of 'the Winston Effect' and 1:28:34 in the movie, as well as some of your fan reproductions that it isn't perfectly semetrical.

It would really be helpful if pictures were posted here, or even links directly to pictures and not whole websites ( I know I'm sounding lazy, but we are behind schedule and the less I need to search the better. I was on this site many hours longer than I meant to be last night and don't want to get caught in the undertow surfing the internet again.)
I can't say what company I work for of course, other than you guys are probably a little off track :) Frankly, I'd get in a bit of trouble if it was figured out, so please don't do any detective work and make me regret reaching out for as much reference as possible! Also, I got an e-mail with some helpful links from a Conor Brosnahan at my Gmail account, but it took forever to make it work. I don't think I will use that e-mail any more, so please send messages to valdroni@comcast.net. Also, I will respond on this thread instead of by e-mail because I think people might be able to tell who I am if I respond. Gotta cover my butt.

By the way, there are a lot of impressive artists on this site who seem to have what it takes to work professionally. I've seen a lot of cool looking bios and concept work that I hope is also getting sent to companies as portfolio pieces. Sometimes I think the difference between professional artists and hobby artists is just that the hobbyists don't realize how good they are.

Thank you again for your immediate responses, I appreciate the enthusiasm and help!

Not NECA?
That makes me sad.

And I'm not sure why you couldn't say.

Kyle Wyndrix asked the same thing of The Hive when he was sculpting the Alien figure.

He didn't have any problem mentioning who he was sculpting it for.

And actually, the more I think about it, this is starting to sound VERY suspicious to me.
As was pointed out to me (thanks Devil), there are far too many reference photos here and at Predatorstuff for this guy not to be able to find anything.

I have a feeling he's either lying about it, or he works for FOX and is trying to get names of people sculpting props from the movie.

Movie studios have been cracking down on unlicensed sculptors lately.

Well, I'm not sure that any of the news is good, as regards to the cannon. It's not a prop that I've given a lot of study to, but I might still be of some use. I believe the original cannon was destroyed during filming by some pyrotechnics. It was then cobbled back together by the prop guys with whatever they had to hand, so a lot of the time it is seen on screen it will probably not actually match an original casting. As far as I know, no one here has managed to get hold of an original casting, but probably the best fan interpretation is carlarts cannon, which you've already seen.

You might also try looking at pictures of the 1/3 scale (I think) cinemaquette Predator. I believe this was sculpted by Steve Wang himself, who was obviously heavily involved with all of the originals. Anything on there may not be 100% screen accurate, as I know he stated he changed a couple of things to how he originally 'meant them to be in the first place', but if you're looking for an artists interpretation, you wouldn't do much better. http://www.predatorstuff.com/2009/07/07/pr...dator-1-statue/ has some excellent pictures of it from all sorts of angles.

Best of luck with your sculpt!

Sabres, trust me, Fox knows all about this place without having to come here asking for reference pictures as a cover story. Besides, all they'd have to do is ask where to get stuff and people would be tripping over themselves to recommend their favorite sculptors.

Well, I imagine when Kyle was openly discussing the project on the Hive it was already officially announced. What would get me in trouble is this project hasn't been, and these announcements are timed and revealed in a planned way that I don't want to screw up.

As for being disappointed that it's not Neca, we're trying our best to make it ultra-accurate and I think you won't be disappointed in the end!

Meanwhile, please do post anything revealing that odd side of the gun, or any obscure pics of the gun, forearm kitbashing and the inner side of the backpack, I am sculpting the gun as we speak and it should be done tomorrow. I will still check this site since I can still go back and correct something if I get a good piece of reference, but I want you to know that time is very limited to help.

I have already found a few great items on the site, and appreciate it a lot, but it is looking like I will ultimately need to invent some of the details on this gun since reference on it is so limited. Any cool shots I see checking up here will get me that much closer to the most film accurate plasmacaster!

Thanks for all your help, folks.

-anonymous

Ok, I apologize for sounding accusatory.

I'm VERY excited for a new Predator figure. Especially one of the original movie creature.

Can you share any details?

Size or articulation?

ya sorry about that dude, i just got excited, but i guess since sabres was the first to blirt it out i don't feel as bad :p anyhow, that out of the way my mind has gone to some other "fantasies" that would be so much better than neca anyway, if it's anywhere close to what i'm thinking im gonna need a new pair o shorts close by!

so sorry again, no more trying to "out" the big company artist just be assured that if there are pics of this angle you're looking for, that someone on here will find 'em for ya, cause we all want a new badass, ultra accurate, P1 piece right guys!?!?!?!

well, i do anyway :) thanks for trying your best to give us accuracy my man

Well, I figured if there was any vault with the original gun or a perfect copy available, Stan Winston would have access to it (I think he would be more likely to have the items in his studio than Fox) and would have put it on this statue. but since it looks like a replacement gun (also apparently pred 2 gauntlets and a recreated backpack), I assume the originals or perfect copies are no longer on this earth. (at least not available without a Da Vinci Code - like search.)

Also, I wouldn't be able to contact Fox or Stan Winston, I would have to ask my boss to contact them, at which point he would ask me to stop obsessing! Which I probably am.

That leaves only photographic evidence, which is why I called on you guys. :)

And sorry, details on size and articulation would help people pin my identity down.

Also, I wouldn't be able to contact Fox or Stan Winston, I would have to ask my boss to contact them, at which point he would ask me to stop obsessing! Which I probably am.
Obsessing? obsession? what's that? :) tell your boss you're not obsessing you're just striving for perfection!

And sorry, details on size and articulation would help people pin my identity down.
Same thing happens to me if they see me naked..JK :p (couldn't helped throwing that one out there)

I wish you luck on this project of yours and hope that you keeps us updated and when the time is right let us know who and when is releasing this figure.my pred wallet can taste it already

Ok, thanks guys. I let you know, although the way word gets around you may know when it is officially announced before I do!

Still hoping for that one fan who can upload a picture in the back of a fangoria or something shoing the rare side of the plasma gun!
(or the spine side of the backpack or any shots of the gauntlets)

No comment on the size and articulation joke, especially articulation -- double jointed genitals? disturbing!

I don't know if you've seen this one yet, or if it's even any help.

But, it's a fairly decent pic...

sw006.jpg

sw006.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back