Sculpting and molding a bio - Start to finish

love this tutorial thanks so much hez for posting it bloody awesome when member's here post useful tutorials for noobs XD
just a quick question what do you use as a release agent for the silicon to release from your sculpt and do you use release agent
on your mother mold to release from the silicon????I know more noob questions just wondering

This the best tutorial i have seen on any thing to do with makeing a bio. I cant wait to get started on my own but im sure ill have some questions.
This is GREAT and helped me understand alot more.

THANKS ALOT,
Cole

Thanks for the tutorial Hez, it's very detailed. As a newbie, I've never done this before and am a little intimidated. I may still have some more questions, would I be able to post them in this thread?

Again, thanks for the tutorial. . .it does pay to look!

Happy Hunting!

Sure, or you can always start a thread about your own project. It doesn't have to be a tutuorial like this, this is also the forum to ask for help!

Thanks Hez, I would start my own thread with questions, but I read on the "rule page" that you have to have 50 posts in order to post a thread. I do see some hunters who are newbies that start threads (like I did until MightyHunter directed me to the "intro" page. . . ).

I have a concept down (which I would like to keep a secret). It's something I was thinking about for a long time. I just don't know if I should do the Predator head first or the bio mask. I mean, since the bio mask fits over the head, wouldn't it make sense for me to make the head first.

I did order a "info book" from "The Monster Makers", which will help with the head.

But anyway, thanks and believe me, I will be asking a decent bit of questions.

Happy Hunting!

The 50 posts/2 months rule is only for starting a for sale/trade thread. That is, unless it's been changed without me noticing it, but I don't think so. So feel free to start whatever thread you like, so long as you put it in the right place!

if you're planning on sculpting everything yourself, then the head is a good place to start, and then you can sculpt the bio to fit over it.

Hello Hez,

Thanks for this great tutorial.I was wondering,what kind of clay did you use,and if you do not have a half mask to work from,how would you start the bio?

thanks Daren

once you have your finished mold, what did you use to make the cast out of and how did you go about this?

cheers
jaz

I used Klean Klay, regular firmness. Without a mask to form an armature with, you're going to have to guess at dimensions, and use a LOT of clay to build your sculpt on.
Hez,
Great job on this for sure. The Dragon skin is good stuff and pretty elastic, especially for removing the mold from a shape like this. I have been using some stuff they have called Sorta Clear 18 and it works very well. It is clear so you can see what you are doing. You can also add thivex to thicken it up and make it a bit stiffer, yet still allow it to be removed from the master easily. Platsil Gel 10 from Polytek works well for this too. There is a product called Forton MG that you can use for the mother mold and it is super strong. You dont have to apply so much as with the plaster and cheescloth and it will make a mother mold that will pretty much last for as long as you want to keep the mold.
I do a lot of body sculptures and use it not only for the mother mold, but for the finished product as well. You can even add metal powder to it and after you pull it from the mold and let it dry completely, you can polish and buff it as regular metal. It will even tarnish and patina like metal as it has real metal powder in it. Its great stuff!.
I have made a few props that were resin or the Forton product that you cant tell they arent metal. I did the Necro Daggers from Riddick and they are great. Ill post pics soon.

Again,
great job on the sculpting and tutorial.

hey im new but where did u get ur sculpting tools and how did u make the armature :) (n) o_O :eek:
Sculpting tools: art supply store, or make them yourself by taking brass tubing, some piano wire/brass wire/ guitar strings and some epoxy or solder.

Armature you can make in various ways, best is to take some wire and build the skeleton, then laminate with plaster bandages, add layers and layers, then fill with plaster to give it some more rigid body. Another way is to sculpt it out of styrofoam, cutting a rough estimate of your wanted proportions, and repeat the plaster-process (you might want to be able to remove the foam core)

Hi hez, I have some questions here.

1) Do you have to baked the klean klay and get it hard enough to apply the silicone? And what kind of sealing to spray on the finished sculpt?

2) And do I need to apply any release agent on the silicone mold before apply the plaster(mother mold)?

Thanks!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back