Sculpting a Bio...direction needed.

Josh M

So I am really getting into all of this. I picked up some clay this weekend (Prang 2.2 lbs - might not even be the best to use) and I want to try sculpting on a Bio. As I have moved from just thinking about doing this to actually wanting to sculpt, I feel overwhelmed.

Without a mask as a reference, this is a pretty futile idea isn't it? I don't want to copy someone's bio, but I don't want to make one that is way out of wack of the norm. Anyone have any basic size dimensions they could pass on to me, or direct me to a guide? I know these are subjective questions considering I don't have any depth dimensions.

Thanks for your help.

--Josh

Best advice is to start sculpting something small until you get your feet wet, a Bio is a big undertaking and will take about 10-20 lbs of clay. Start small and once you get more comfortable with sculpting take on something larger. Just my 2 cents from my experience.

Roughly 11" wide, 20" long. Curvature (depth) is entirely subjective based on how you want it to look. P2 and Wolf are a lot shallower than the other bios, for instance. I'd suggest just looking at pics for reference of how you want it to look. Both Uratz and I posted threads following the sculpt of our bios in the huntorials section, you should be able to find them there somewhere. If you are sculpting without some kind of armature, then you are going to need a ton of clay. I used 13lbs, and that was on top of a plaster cast of a mask.

Best of luck.

As for original Ideas its best to Draw, draw and draw it all out on paper. Even if ur drawing isn't great u can draw the "feeling" of it sorta like mental notes for later as a guide. My bio sketches aren't really more than just parts and pieces of different areas that I slap together in photoshop to make one cohesive final sketch. Also when sculpting check the bios from a XYZ axis point of view to make sure everything is even and symmetrical unless you're going for some weird bio design.

For how to make an armature: Armature huntorial

For the shape and size I had one of those mini Bios from Hot Toys Pred figures and did a positive impression from inside these bios and then scaled up for the shape
I made the armature first using wires to twist into a similar shape like the clay impression. its not exact just need the curve angle of the cheeks & forehead.

I made the armature first in my ancient huntorial : Ancient Bio Sculpt

The details are there. Hope this helps

Feel free to post your WIP. There'll be many who will offer their expertise. Good luck and love to see your work! :D

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back