Sculpey bake and bed for face quills

VinMan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Hunters

I know a lot of people have used Sculpey bake and bend in the past for face quills
but the problem is that now they only sell the sampler size which has 6 colors red blue green black white and yellow.

I mixed the three darker colors Red Blue and Green and got a dark Purple color
I then baked them along with some Black. Once baked they were almost as dark as the black.
Very close to no perceivable difference at all.

One package should be enough to do two hundred or maybe even more

I molded a slight arc in them to give the lllusion that they have a backwards growth pattern to them.

When installed on the mask it's not like the will be undergoing a huge amount of bending
just enough flexing to keep them from snapping off when a bio comes into contact.

They are plenty flexible. I think I am going to hit mine with a little paint anyway to give them an elder
look.

Give it a try the worst you can lose is less than $7.00 and an hours time. Worked great for me

VinMan

I was going to ask predhunter how his went in his thread a while back, because I was having so much trouble with them. I bought that exact package of bake and bend. What temp and how long did you put them in for. I tried 280 and lower from 5 min all the way down to a min and they always got brittle and would crumble. RJ

I had the same problem when I tried making some as well. Tried several different temps and times and every time they would come out brittle and break.

Weird...I know that regular Sculpey gets brittle when you try to make quills with them but Bake and Bend should stay flexible. As for the temperature...I think I had the stove at around 120 and put them in for 2 minutes?

I just followed the directions on the package and adjusted the temp & time lower. Its finicky but doable . Try one quill at a time and keep lowering the temp/time until they stay flexible after being baked.

a baked them at 285 for 20 mins on a glass tray. when i get home I will investigate them a little closer and see if the hold up to a little abuse

I do 170 for 10-15 mins and they remain very flexible , i think at that temp it basically just cures a skin on them, any longer and they will just start to stiffen up.

Now that I am home i checked on them since they have cooled and they are very flexible and very strong.
I am totally pleased with this project!

Give it a go. I don't know why to experiment with lots of different temperatures and times. I went exactly how the package said
285 F degrees for 20 mins ON A GLASS heat safe dish

Hmmmm. Dont know what to say cause I tried it just like the box said. But I believe it said somthing like bake at 280 and somthing like 3-5 min per every mill of thickness and since they are very thin in diameter then time should be cut down drastically. I'll try it again. I think bounty hunter made me some and I keep trying to get them like his but no luck so far. They look like bake and bend but I havent been able to get ahold of him to find out more. I

my first attempt went the same way guys. they were brittle and and crumbled. then AC moore had a craft oven on sale....like 20-30 bucks. bought that , went with the package instructions , except didnt have a glass dish small enough to fit into the craft oven, just put them on tin foil, and they came out great. definatlely the way to go.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back