ScreenUsed July 21st auction totals.

Online entertainment memorabilia dealer, ScreenUsed, held their first auction today, July 21st, which hammered $201,475.00 !

The online auction consisted of 359 lots from various film properties which represented varying price points for collectors. While some lots sold much higher than their pre auction estimates, including lots #261, a screen used Rocketeer helmet from Disney’s, “The Rocketeer“, Estimates : 8,000.00 – 12,000.00, sold for ($25,000.00 + $4,500.00 bp ( 18% buyers premium)) x 1 = 2$9,500.00, & lot #327, “Blue Harvest” clapperboard used during filming of Return of the Jedi location filming, Estimates : $6,000.00 – $8,000.00, sold for ($22,500 + $4,050.00 bp) x 1 = $26,550.00, many others sold within the range of the estimates which was great for bidders.

Numbers* for the auction are as follows:

The hammer price for the lots sold was $201,475 with the total rising to $237,743.50 including the 18% buyers premium added to each lot sold.

The auction consisted of 359 lots and the majority of those lots, 219, or 61%, sold with a $920 per lot hammer average. Very good numbers for this first time effort by ScreenUsed.

Initially I had a problem with i collector signing in to the auction so I contacted customer support and the tech discovered it was on my end with JAVA not being updated. Once I took care of that, signing in and participating in the auction was a breeze. Unfortunately I did not win anything, but maybe that’s a good thing ;) .

It should be exciting to see what ScreenUsed has up their sleeves for their next auction, so start saving your money ;) .

*numbers could change due to bidding errors, etc.

The only issue I had is I won too many items, as when I signed up I thought it was like liveauctioneers.com and I could reduce, replace, or cancel my bids. Unfortunately, you couldn't reduce or cancel any bids at all, so I ended up kicking myself for bidding so damn much. Oh well, ended up with 15 items, but I can't complain since most of them I got for the low bids. Although, I didn't buy any super high ticket items as none of my items was over $1000.

5 of the 15 I'm super excited about, and the others I honestly would have cancelled my bids. Oh well, live and learn!

Wow!! 18% BP, that's got to be a killer right there! :-(

It is, but 18% is low compared to others. I don't have them all memorized, but I think Profiles in History and Propworx charge 20-23% depending on if you pay by credit card.

On top of that, if they happen to be based in your state, you pay sales tax. So for me in California where Propworx is based, it's an additional 8.75% or 9.75%. I've been charged both and I'm unsure why it changed.

Wow!! 18% BP, that's got to be a killer right there! :-(

Actually it is the lowest that I am aware of in the entertainment auction business.

According to an online search I did today:

Screen Used: 18% across the board

Profiles in history: 20% when paying by cash or check, 23% when paying with credit card and or bidding on line

Christies, 25% for items up to $50,000, 20% for items costing $50,001-$1,000,000, 12% for items over $1,000,000

Sothebys, 25% for items up to $50,000, 20% $50,001-$1,000,000, 12% over $1,000,000

Heritage: 25% for items up to $50,000, 20% $50,001-$1,000,000, 12% over $1,000,000

Bonhams: 25% up to $50,000, 20% $50,001-$1,000,000, 12% over $1,000,000. I spoke with Lucy Carr from Bonhams today and she informed me that those paying with cash, check, or wire transfer receive a 2% discount on the premiums I listed here

Premier Props: 23% across the board

Propworx
:
20% up to $100,000, 15% over $100,000, and 23% flat for items won using Live Auctioneers. In previous auctions auction winners were charged a $25 per item handling fee

Julians: 25% up to $99,999, 20% $100,000 and over. An additional 3% is added to the premium for Internet bidders, making Julians premium for online bidders 28% and 23% respectively. Julians 28% buyers premium appears to be the highest of all the major auction houses.

Potential bidders should be aware how buyers premiums (bp), apply to actual items won in an auction. For example, you win an auction item at Christies costing $60,000. You would pay an additional 25% bp for the first $50,000. Then anything over the $50,000, which in this case is $10,000, would be 20% bp.

Also know that sometimes bp can change depending on what the auction house and consignor has worked out or for special auctions. Always check the FAQ sections of any auction you are interested in for their current bp.

The only issue I had is I won too many items, as when I signed up I thought it was like liveauctioneers.com and I could reduce, replace, or cancel my bids. Unfortunately, you couldn't reduce or cancel any bids at all, so I ended up kicking myself for bidding so damn much. Oh well, ended up with 15 items, but I can't complain since most of them I got for the low bids. Although, I didn't buy any super high ticket items as none of my items was over $1000.

5 of the 15 I'm super excited about, and the others I honestly would have cancelled my bids. Oh well, live and learn!

What did you get? :)

What did you get? :)

Ended up with the following:
Ajax's hammer from Troy
The Spirit distressed costume from..The Spirit
A Camp Crystal Lake life preserver from Friday the 13th remake
Two pumpkin bombs in a custom display case from Spider-Man 3
A monsignor hood and robe set from Priest
A battle axe and assorted prop weapons from Prince of Persia
A prop crossbow from The Shadow
One of Al Bundy's shirt and pants from Married with Children
A distressed shirt from the Book of Eli
An impaled silhouette from Bram Stoker's Dracula
Shoulder armor from In the Name of the King
A fraternity jacket from Old School
Prop guns from Public Enemies

Main ones I was gunning for was Ajax's hammer, the life preserver, and Al-Bundy's outfit.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back