Screenused Independence Day Costumes

thegreatgalling

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey gang. I picked both these up recently and I am awaiting for them to arrive. Just figured I would post these pics and get your thoughts. They are most likely background uniforms worn by extras on the film.

This is a Black Knight Jumpsuit:

1111i.jpg

1111ii.jpg

111111111111i.jpg

ex.jpg

And an AWACS jumpsuit:

BuUJ61B2kKGrHqNhkEv10FVpiBLwckHhw_1.jpg

BuUJ85wEWkKGrHqVhMEv10CqF5BLwcuNQsw.jpg

BuUJ-kQBGkKGrHqVhUEv10Fv4BLwc2Lhzw_.jpg

I noticed that the Velcro that holds the name plate and unit patch looks to have been removed. How is the current unit patch attached? as it's moved over pretty far to the right?

I actually haven't yet recieved them and just posted the auction pics. I did notice that and also that this patch has a grey border around the patch the hero seems not to have? I am not worried about their status as genuine (beyond the normal caution) since the source is reputable. I take it more as a function that these were background suits.

I will def let you know how it is
attached. Is it just me or does it look sewn?

Hmm... I guess that depends on whether there is some way to know if the patch was like that for the movie, or some person sewed it after the fact. If the patch is indeed staying on because of these two teensy weensy strands of thread, I'd be suprised if its still attached after shipping anyway.

If it was like that for production, I am not so sure I would mess with it.

Hey gang. I picked both these up recently and I am awaiting for them to arrive. Just figured I would post these pics and get your thoughts. They are most likely background uniforms worn by extras on the film.

This is a Black Knight Jumpsuit:

1111i.jpg

1111ii.jpg

111111111111i.jpg

ex.jpg

And an AWACS jumpsuit:

BuUJ61B2kKGrHqNhkEv10FVpiBLwckHhw_1.jpg

BuUJ85wEWkKGrHqVhMEv10CqF5BLwcuNQsw.jpg

BuUJ-kQBGkKGrHqVhUEv10Fv4BLwc2Lhzw_.jpg

The onscreen Black Knight pathces, if you see them in the movie have a solid black outline around the whole patch, the one coming to you does not. I tried watching scenes to locate that type of patch but could not find it. Do you know for sure this patch isn't a replica attached after the fact? That could explain why it is in the wrong spot. Perhaps the original was lost and they added one for the sale??

Also, the name tags in the film looked like they were heavy plastic, but this one looks like paper.... and the names were off to the sides on the originals, as this one is straight across the bottom.

So maybe the suits were the originals and the patches were added later. Then you could move them and not be jeopardizing the original props?? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input Moviefreak. The AWACS suit arrived today, and I am still waiting for the other.

The name tag on the AWACS suit looks to be almost a black leathery type consitency (I guess you can call plastic) and very strong. The name and symbol on it are shiny silver (paint?) embossed into the "leather" or plastic. It is attached via velco. Also, I see what you are talking about with the name tag on the suit, but there are two. The one with the name tag is an AWACS suit, not a Black Knight suit. Think the tags were diff. on those? Maybe its right for an AWACS?

I really am not sure about the patch on the Black Knight one, I can def. ask.
I saw the difference in the pic immediately, but figured it just differed from the hero version.

For the record, I picked these up from Star Wares which runs out of Santa Monica, CA.

I should mention, I have been a part of forums like this long enough to see some guys get VERY defensive about their screenused pieces, especially when there is some disagreement about scene matching, or someone questions authenticity. Please know I actually really appreciate any input as the more info I have helps me to either appreciate them more, or know for sure my enthusiasm should be placed elsewhere!:)

So thanks again Moviefreak.

Hmm...Well accurate patches do seem easy to come by on the Bay, and I wasn't able to find one exactly like this one.

Now I am just really curious.

Thanks for your input Moviefreak. The AWACS suit arrived today, and I am still waiting for the other.

The name tag on the AWACS suit looks to be almost a black leathery type consitency (I guess you can call plastic) and very strong. The name and symbol on it are shiny silver (paint?) embossed into the "leather" or plastic. It is attached via velco. Also, I see what you are talking about with the name tag on the suit, but there are two. The one with the name tag is an AWACS suit, not a Black Knight suit. Think the tags were diff. on those? Maybe its right for an AWACS?

I really am not sure about the patch on the Black Knight one, I can def. ask.
I saw the difference in the pic immediately, but figured it just differed from the hero version.

For the record, I picked these up from Star Wares which runs out of Santa Monica, CA.

I should mention, I have been a part of forums like this long enough to see some guys get VERY defensive about their screenused pieces, especially when there is some disagreement about scene matching, or someone questions authenticity. Please know I actually really appreciate any input as the more info I have helps me to either appreciate them more, or know for sure my enthusiasm should be placed elsewhere!:)

So thanks again Moviefreak.

Star Wares is VERY reputable. I buy from them alot. So I wouldn't sweat it. There is no doubt the suits are from the film. I wasn't trying to discredit the suits at all, please know this. That was not my intention. I was mearly commentling on your previous comment about not wanting to move the patch if it were screen accurate. I thought, if the patch was added later, then you shouldn't feel bad moving it. BUt I believe the suit is an actual one. They just might have added the extra pieces later to accent the actual prop. But as I said before, Star Wares selles some good honest stuff. So I wouldn't question the authenticity one bit. :)

^ Thanks for that. Again, I appreciate any insight. Also, sorry if I made it sound like you were saying they were fake, just meant I appreciate ALL comments.

Ha, hey Moviefreak. I just posted in the OT section that I hate it when people quote posts that re-display the pics twice. Wasn't talking about you!

AHEM, but, now that I noticed this...:lol

:thumbsup Guilty as charged!! I won't deny that!! I always do it, but now that I see it bothers people, I wil try to correct it :lol

Ha, there are ten million more important things in people's lives on a given day then my stupid pointless rant. Just figured I would put it out there.

So don't worry...

just don't do it again.:lol

Just an update, Star Wares told me that the patches on all their suits are from production, so they say some were made this way, and also, they are all in the same position they were at the time of production.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back