Screen used XWing (?) found (?)

Onigiri

Sr Member
XWing experts I need some help and hopefully Ill be able to up load some pics but Ill start with a little background. My gf's deceased former husband was a prop/model maker in the industry and involved with several major productions. About 20 years ago he was given an XWing model that is 'wired'. The paint job is very professional and this thing looks like its been scorched. My gf knows NOTHING about Star Wars and this has been in a closet for 20 years so she asked me if I could find out more info about it. The ex had told her it was a screen used XWing but its definitely NOT a hero. It appears to be a modified ESTES model rocket but heavily modified and wired for rudimentary lights. Obviously it wasnt used in the original Star Wars as these were produced after the fact. She has a lot of nice props n memorabilia in the garage left over from him that I know is real but this one is a stumper. He assured her back in the day that this was a screen used piece and it certainly is VERY detailed and wired up. Were any Estes done up for Empire or ROTJ for background/pyro use? She wanted to sell this piece back in the day but her husband said that he acquired it on the grounds he NOT sell it but hes been dead now several years while this has languished in the garage so if anybody can shed some light Id appreciate it.

Pics sent. These are all off her phone so I told her to take some tomorrow but it definitely seems to be ESTES based and I just dont know if they ever modified any of those for use

Here you go.

DonX1.JPG

DonX2.JPG

DonX3.JPG

DonX4.JPG

DonX5.JPG

DonX6.JPG

DonX7.JPG

DonX8.JPG

DonX9.JPG

DonX10.JPG

Last edited:
Maxi Brute was a large scale Estes kit, supposedly studio scale. The standard kit was small, smaller than the MPC if I remember right.

OK...looked it up on Ebay so yes this would be a Maxi Brute. The description on Ebay though says these were used IN the production of Star Wars (???)

OK...looked it up on Ebay so yes this would be a Maxi Brute. The description on Ebay though says these were used IN the production of Star Wars (???)

I think he means it's a replica of the production models.

I know some MPC kits were used in ROTJ, don't know about Estes though. I guess it could have been used for videomatics shots, but I don't think they would have put lights in it for that.

Its a puzzler. Like I said this thing has been sitting in a closet for 2 decades and you can tell a lot of work went in to it but for what...somebody gotta know.

I think he means it's a replica of the production models.

I know some MPC kits were used in ROTJ, don't know about Estes though. I guess it could have been used for videomatics shots, but I don't think they would have put lights in it for that.

As robn1 stated, MPC kits were used but to date no evidence of Estes X-Wings being used has surfaced. Anything's possible, but there is absolutely no way they'd have used it without removing/covering the Estes logo, seeing how large it is. A videomatic model would not have been lit or this carefully painted.

I tend to agree. This thing is wired up and a lot of work done on teh fuselage but the ESTES marking etc...its a head scratcher. This guy was a professional in teh industry and very well connected and insisted this was screen used and acquired from someone who worked on the movies. I dont doubt he believed this to be some sort of screen used piece but we all know how these things work

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back