Screen-used VX Sphere - restore or not?

PHArchivist

Master Member
Age old debate. We've discussed it many a time before...

But I recently received a screen-used prop from Propstore that has detiorated over age.

I could restore it simply by adding an element back into the main physical structure of the prop, without really altering the current condition that it is in...

So should I refill - ***** - I mean restore the prop, or not...?

Sorry for being coy - just having some fun keeping all you hooligans in the lurch. But suffice it to say its a favorite prop of mine, and I'm the only one of us I know of that has created a decently successful replica! ;)

All right - enough screwing around... Here it is:

VX005.JPG

VX006.JPG

Last edited:
Re: To restore, or not to restore...

Not knowing the condition of it, I would say restore it if it's damaged but don't make it look new or anything just fix the damaged area and blend it in to work with the rest.

Normally, I adhere to leaving a prop in its original condition. But with this one, I can simply ADD some stuff to it and more or less bring it back to its full glory.

And its stuff I already have at home.

I'll fill you guys in on what it is soon enough, but I know a couple guys out there might be able to guess what I nabbed, considering I'm obsessed with it! ;).

hmmmm That depends. Lets say it was something awesome like an Ewok mask, or a facial application that would eventually just be ruined. I say go for it.

But, maybe if it is something that just belongs the way it is. Like a damaged gun, or weapon or something.

Ask Wampa. He is THE expert. hahaha I can't wait to see what this is. I am totally excited to see what you got!!!

Go for it! It's yours, make the change.

That's sort of how I feel about it. I have a Jack Kirby page of original comic art from KAMANDI that I got for a song because it was missing a lettering balloon of dialogue that had been rubber-cemented as a patch for publication back in the 70s, and had fallen off sometime in the interim.

I bought a copy of the comic it was printed in, scanned the missing word balloon, printed it out at size on adhesive paper, and made the repair. Looks exactly as printed.

I'm not selling the page, ever (piece of my boyhood and whatnot), but if I did I'd be sure to disclose the repair. I don't see any difference with your project. It's yours, update it. If you ever sell it, PH, just disclose your addition. I'm sure anywhere it goes they'd be happy for your attention to detail.

I think I'd be tempted to leave it as is since still has a few remnants of the original production stuff.

It's an admittedly tough call, though. I could see going either way on it.

Personally, I enjoy seeing the wear of production.

But if it's recognizably missing something, I'd say attach it.

For example, if it was a pistol from something that was missing a scope, you could label a plaque "Original Pistol From Such and Such, with Replica Scope."

All right guys...

I saw Propstore had a VX sphere (empty) from The Rock. Being a big fan of the movie and owner of at least one other significant prop from the film (funny, though, as I despise Michael Bay as a person), I had to nab it.

The VX rig carried in the rockets has always been my holy grail. I've examined the full rig, and it is one of the finest built props I've seen.

Also, in the past, I've made replicas of the spheres out of clear acrylic, 1.5" hemispheres. For the longest while I debated if the originals were "glass or plastic". They clearly used blown glass. Whether plastic spheres were used in the back ground, who knows.

Years back, a seller of an original tipped me off on a brand of aloe vera gel used in the film. After many experiments with many products and techniques, this aloe vera was a dead ringer. Sadly, my replica spheres were not air tight,and most of the aloe vera dried up.

Well...

That "happy accident" actually made them more screen accurate.

Today I received the original. 95% of the gel is evaporated - just like my replicas. Hence the question on restoring. I could easily refill the ball with more aloe vera.

And you know what? The origianl prop SMELLS good - just like my repicas, too! :)

VX005.JPG

VX006.JPG

Crappy pics, but hope you liked the story.

Thats awesome Rob!!!!!!! I remember purchasing a couple of your replicas

Where is there a spot to actually inject the Aloe?? What did they cap it with?

Thats awesome Rob!!!!!!! I remember purchasing a couple of your replicas

Where is there a spot to actually inject the Aloe?? What did they cap it with?

The sphere actually has two holes (one at each pole), about 2mm in diameter. The originals had what appeared to be a nylon cord running through the center. Inbetween each sphere there were rubber stoppers (2-3mm thinck, smaller around than a dime), plus what seems to be tiny key rings (no ****). On the outside of the spheres were four copper wires running down the entire strand.

Propstore still has one for sell with all the extra doo-dads attached.

And Rob, interestingly, the original is slightly bigger than the replicas I made. Mine were 1.5". I'm not certain the original reaches 1.75" but it is still bigger than mine by a tad. Real close though!

Hello there Rob,

That's a really neat prop you have there. I'd consider putting together a nifty display that features the screen used piece, left as-is (empty), nicely labeled, and then use a few of your replicas, all refilled with the gel, (labeled as replicas) to accent the display.

Be sure to show us what you finally do with it!

Marcus

Great prop! That will look good, whatever you decide. Do you think you are going to use a screen shot, and maybe just have Sean Connery in there just because he is awesome?

Hell I thought that was Chingatchagooks glass eye. ;)

Cool addition to the collection though Rob from a great movie!!

Personally I would leave as is but in this case I think it would be cool to doctor it up!

Hello there Rob,

That's a really neat prop you have there. I'd consider putting together a nifty display that features the screen used piece, left as-is (empty), nicely labeled, and then use a few of your replicas, all refilled with the gel, (labeled as replicas) to accent the display.

Be sure to show us what you finally do with it!

Marcus

That's a good idea Marcus; I was thinking hat may be a good way to go.

One thing that may keep me from re-filling it is that there is a large, harden black glob of the original aloe vera inside the sphere. I got the same hardened stuff with some of my older replicase.

To have this black blob suspended in the new gel may look bad...

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back