Screen used ship part - to clean or not to clean

davidJurassic

I acquired a screen used piece over the weekend, a section of a spaceship. It looks a bit dirty in one of the pictures, due to its age. It's pretty much a cast piece of resin with intricate detailing.

What do you guys do when it's something that wasn't weathered originally? Do you clean the prop, or leave it as nature has aged it over time?

If you do clean - what do you use?

I'd say if you know 100% for sure that it was not aging created for the use of that prop, then you should be ok trying to return it to original condition. However, that is something that, based upon what type of work needs done, might be best handled by professionals like Tom Spina Designs. They are one of the top restorers of props. Now if it is just a little dirt and dust, you could clean that yourself. I would suggests using only a mild dish soap that is gentle enough for your skin. No harsh chemicals. I would use q-tips dipped in the soap/water mixture and gently work out the dirt in a gentle crucial motion. Try not to scrub so you don't affect paint. But do post photos here so people can see the extent of aging and give better advice specific to your needs.

Q-tips is a great idea actually, give me better finesse on the cleaning.

Joberg I'll post pics of before and after cleaning when it's here. The photos I saw were just for sale. I'm pleased with the piece and I think folk will like it,

I'd say if you know 100% for sure that it was not aging created for the use of that prop, then you should be ok trying to return it to original condition. However, that is something that, based upon what type of work needs done, might be best handled by professionals like Tom Spina Designs. They are one of the top restorers of props. Now if it is just a little dirt and dust, you could clean that yourself. I would suggests using only a mild dish soap that is gentle enough for your skin. No harsh chemicals. I would use q-tips dipped in the soap/water mixture and gently work out the dirt in a gentle crucial motion. Try not to scrub so you don't affect paint. But do post photos here so people can see the extent of aging and give better advice specific to your needs.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back