screen used Jawa Costume pictures / inside head

propologist

Sr Member
I'm looking for some screen used Jawa pictures of the inside of the head pieces from Star wars if possible or anyone with knowledge of the insides. The reason I ask is many years ago I got a head, robe , belt and shoes from a fellow super collector and I want to find out the provenance for it. If it was for real or other.
The feel and materials are an exact match to the ones I have seen in Smithsonian etc. The head inside is very unique on how the eyes operate and wanted to see what others have seen from real ones and not fan made ones.
It was gotten back in the early 80's from the person I received it from , back before the costumes where fan made for the most part .
I want to find out more just for my knowledge and to keep it displayed properly and perserved if it is the real deal.

Thanks in advance ,Lee

may not help a great deal

70180014.jpg

Originally it was just a wooden block painted black with the light bulbs stuck on and the whole thing taped/velcroed to the head. I know I've seen pics around but they're not exactly common.

I had access to a screen-used Jawa head recently - although could not be sure which movie it came from.

The inside was a small black inner hood with a square brackt fixed inside onto which the "eyes" were mounted. The interesting thing about the eyes (powered by a separate fairly oversized battery) was that the lenses lit up (obviously) yet when wearing it you could still look out through them.

I tried to work out how they functioned but coudn't, however I though they were really neat and great fun to wear. Kind of like the effect of drinking a bottle of vodka in a pitch-black room and then running outside into bright sunshine :wacko

Cheers

Jez

It' s a very odd piece. Here are some images that I had saved. When I get it out again I will take others. The red wire that is leading out of the helmet is connected to a toggle switch where you can press on the outside of the back of the head to turn on the small bulbs of the eyes.
It is wearable but for a very small person for sure. The eyes are mounted on a wire mesh and I can't remember how see through they are around the eyes.
The boots are very small as you can see by the images. the other images of the belt are lost on the old computer so I will have to retake those.
I talked to my friend that originally bought the costume and he remembers the guy telling him that it could have been used in pre-star wars advertising to promote the movie like in appearances etc. I've collected since day one and I have seen some promotional clips about events like that but I wanted to see if anyone else had heard of such happenings.
Again , I'm not saying it's " screen used , hero or ever a background costume" , but I would like to know more about the make up of them . I need to get a pair of gloves ( if I can find simliar aged) and of course finish my blasters for the display.
Any info. would get you added to my Christmas card list..lol

lee

321760405_o.jpg

321760395_o.jpg

321759705_o.jpg

321759679_o.jpg

321759732_o.jpg

321759760_o.jpg

321759782_o.jpg

The feel and materials are an exact match to the ones I have seen in Smithsonian etc.

Not sure exactly what it is that you have, but it's not a jawa from the OT.
Also the fabrics do not appear to be a match.
There seem to be two types of jawa, one from ANH, and the other from ROTJ.
I have a theory that they re-used the ANH robes but created improved faces for ROTJ (in lieu of the ANH gaffer-tape face design). But I cannot say for certain.

A close up of the outer robe fabric.

jawa1.jpg

ROTJ style face

jawa2.jpg

Production shots from ANH

jawa3.jpg

PS, just a suggestion.
It might be a good idea for you to add the words "looking for" at the beginning of your thread title because I read the title and thought it was going to be about showing off a screen used jawa.

PS, just a suggestion.
It might be a good idea for you to add the words "looking for" at the beginning of your thread title because I read the title and thought it was going to be about showing off a screen used jawa.

Yeah true , but having that in the first sentence is also a good idea for those who skipped the title line ;)

And that is what I'm researching for. I don't think it's a screen used prop but I know it's not a fan-made piece from the last 30 years either. The hunt continues...lol

PS, just a suggestion.

Yeah true , but having that in the first sentence is also a good idea for those who skipped the title line ;)

LOL :lol

The two we made for the Ep3 Buger King commercials was done with an off the shelf eyeglass style head lamp. We just changed the color of the lenses. Don thought the "eyes" were too far apart under the veil so he quickly broke the eyeglass style frames and taped the lamps to the actors heads just above their eyes. After seeing the ANH Jawa pic Gino posted above, its obvious why he did this.
Here is the outcome.
34pl3zd.jpg

I took the following pic from the "Star Wars : Where Science Meets Imagination" exhibit when it was here at the Minnesota Science Museum.

Sorry for the flash reflection.

The odd round thing with backwards text in the middle is actually a reflection of my camera lens, it is not a piece of the costume. :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back