Prop Store

Screen used ANH Star Wars Stormtrooper Helmet

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by psdumas, Dec 16, 2011.

1. psdumas

psdumas New Member

Hi all.. from the Jersey Shore..

My father was a PR Executive at 20th Century Fox during the making of the Star Wars movies.

We have an original, screen used Stormtrooper helmet. I honestly have to tell you I don't know much about it except what my father always told me. He was in the business, did publicity on Star Wars, and collected a lot of stuff when he was there.

I'm NOT trying to sell it, just trying to get an idea of what it is worth, or where to go to find out what it is worth.

Thank you much... Pat

2. mattiza

mattiza New Member

Do you have any pics?

3. psdumas

psdumas New Member

Will get pics posted tomorrow. Thanks. It is without the rubber head stripe, and obviously well handled. But, original as can be.

4. dirtydave

dirtydave Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW!!! an original helmet in Jersey.Man how I would love to see that in person.:love;) Dave

5. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Cue Gino... now.

6. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awsome!!! Get pics up soon so we can all drool over it.My guess on price depending on how complete it is or if it's actually ANH would be between $50000-$80000.But it depends on the market too.

Now get those pics up so we can screen match it.

Ben

7. gizmo

:pOh and cast it for us too. That way we can have replicas and you can make money while keeping the helmet for good.:p

8. Moxiebot

Moxiebot Member

Wow, I'd love to see pic. I'd imagine it's worth quite a lot! But I suppose the only way to know for sure is to put it up for auction and see how much it sells for ;)

9. Search4

Search4 Active Member

Welcome to another Jersey collector! We'd all love to see pics, and be prepared for the inevitable discussion about "is it really from ANH?"

10. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Quick get those pics up so we can rip it to shreds! :lol

11. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

He never said it was from ANH. He said his father was a PR exective during the making of the Star Wars movies so it could potentially be ROTJ. It could also be a promotional item.

Saying that I hope it is ANH and we can place it on screen :)

As for value I would say it is worth what the people at an auction are willing to pay and judging by recent auctions you could be looking at $40,000 to $100,000

I am looking forward to seeing photographs and hearing a bit more of the back story on this helmet.

Thanks for sharing this psdumas

Exciting stuff :thumbsup

12. dirtydave

The title of his thread says ANH.

Dave

13. voice in the crowd

Doh!!

My bad. I read the first post and clearly in all my excitement missed ANH in the thread title :lol

Still would love to see snazzy pics to make sure it is ANH.

14. dirtydave

I hear ya.I live in Jersey & would love to see it in person.Would be a dream come true.

Dave

15. Propmasters

Propmasters Member

be great to see some pictures

16. IndyFanChuck

IndyFanChuck Sr Member

It's been 4 days. No photos.

17. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Pictures would be interesting.

18. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

19. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

This is a familier story -

I get this about once every couple of years, someone hears that I worked for Lucasfilm, then tells me a story about thier Dad/Mom/borther/Sister/wife/husband/etc. that used to work for LFL's Accountant/gardner/hairstylist/whatever, and they obtained some mask (usually) or other prop they claim was in the movie, and either they never get around to showing it to me, or it's a Don Post mask or other type merchandise. The last one was a few months ago, they still had it in the the original Don Post carboard box !

In all fairness, most people who are not in the industry (Or not members of the RPF !) don't realize movie props don't come in printed cardboard boxes. (At least none that I have seen !)

But, you never know, this guy just might be the real deal.

20. Apollo

"Let's go screw with the fanboys at the RPF!"

He could be on the up and up but I have heard his story WAY to much over the years and it does not really make sense.

21. IndyFanChuck

IndyFanChuck Sr Member

I really do hope that this guy has a 100,000$ dollar helmet and didn't even know it. That would be so cool. I love stories like that.

Finding some treasure you had no idea was insanely valuable. If it's real, I'll have a great story to tell my coworkers.

I wish MY Dad worked for Lucasfilm back in the day!

22. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Just a fart in the wind until pics are shown.

Doug

23. gizmo

I hear ya :rolleyes

Ben

24. voice in the crowd

I agree most people don't know what they have. Paul Daniels (a famous UK television magician) was given a Don Post trooper helmet by a 20th Century Fox exec back in the 70s and tried to sell it and no matter what he was told he would not believe it was not screen used.

One little pointer though that it isn't Don Post or an old mask / toy is the owner said the rubber trim is missing. I don't think that any of the licenced items have separate trim they are painted or moulded.

I would think the owner is currently dealing with a pile of PMs from people who want to see it / buy it / restore it etc etc

I am staying optimistic hopefully pics will come.

Chris

25. Apollo

He has not been back on the board since he posted.

26. SiMan

SiMan Member

:lol:lol:lol

Quite possibly.

27. Too Much Garlic

So that's what I'm smelling?

28. C5FILMCOLLECTOR

C5FILMCOLLECTOR New Member

:thumbsup Thought the same thing.

29. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

There are exceptions however, my favorite story (from memory, so don't crucify me if I get some details wrong !)
    is when Brandon (Alinger) was poking around up in Oregon, and contacted one of the local construction guys that worked on ROTJ, and it turned out he was using the fiberglass wall panels (that were used to make the shield generator bunker) to fix a hole in his fence !

30. xmr1

xmr1 Well-Known Member

31. voice in the crowd

Yup - Kinda get the feeling you have been there, seen it and done it on that front Simon :)

32. Too Much Garlic

Well, if it works... better to use it then to just have it sitting around doing nothing but collect dust and take up space. + it probably made a killer fence filler.

33. Too Much Garlic

Still no pictures. Beginning to sound like the guy who's father had an original RotJ Vader helmet cast sitting in his garage that we also never heard from again.

I'm sorry, if OP really has what he says... cool... seems more likely not.

34. Apollo

:lol Yeah I'm calling BS on this one! :lol

Although I am sure he will be back sometime

35. VaderArmor

VaderArmor Member

I think everyone scared him away...If I owned such a item I would be posting pics all over! and bragging about it but..................sounds more to me like vapor-ware.

36. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

you have to figure the vultures where hitting his in-box pretty hard trying to get information, images and to buy it. It would scare anyone.

-James

37. rosskow

rosskow Well-Known Member

now we'll never know...

38. voice in the crowd

I thought the same but it was pointed out to me that the owner hasn't been on the forum since his last post.

Nobody else think that possibly he may have been enjoying the time runnng up to Christmas with family and friends and not that bothered about some Sci-Fi forum :)

If he returns and pics appear then bonus.

39. gizmo

I hope so too.

Ben

40. Apollo

Hey I thought he was trying to get some quick X-Mas money! ;)

41. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

There will be a crazy stampede of all the naysayers, to edit their "Wot a load of BS" posts, before their 'new best friend' discovers that people were doubting his honesty! :lol

I however would be very surprised if it turns out to be an original Stormtrooper bucket. Even if the guy isn't trying to mislead any of us deliberately, it may well be that he's unaware of what is and isn't an original prop.
    I had someone tell me that they had an original Stormtrooper helmet, and they knew it must be authentic because "It even has a stamp on it, saying Copyright 20th Century Fox..."
    Well when I finally saw a pic of this 'hidden treasure' it turned out to be an old, beaten-to-crap Don-Post mass-market replica Stormtrooper helmet from the early 1980's! :confused :confused :eek ....... :lol

I reckon about 90% of the movie-watching public have a VERY POOR concept of what a screenused Prop or item of Wardrobe would actually look like.
    Sadly there has likely been dozens of old, HDPE trooper helmets, with flaking paint, roughly screwed together and with crude hand-painted detailing.... taken to the rubbish tip/ Charity Shop or Car-boot sale, simply because their owners couldn't believe that these are all traits and characteristics of a genuine screenused Stormtrooper helmet! :lol

Though this guy does say his Dad worked for 20th Century Fox around the time of Star Wars.
    But then I don't think a Publicity Executive would be showered with original props or wardrobe.:unsure
    It wouldn't be the first time that a member of a movie's Crew had been gifted an original piece from filming... but it's usually a member of Crew such as Cameraman, Audio Technician, Lighting Technician or suchlike, - all positions in the Crew who were present on the set(s) when the movie was being filmed. Not as with Publicity Execs, whose involvement with a movie usually begins long after filming has wrapped, and closer to it's release in the cinema / theater.

But hopefully I will be proved wrong and the OP will return with some photographic evidence.
    I'll be first to tuck in my bib, and eat my words! I would gladly see and hear all about another ANH Stormtrooper helmet, even if it means I have to blush a lil' bit! :$

Whoah... long post! Sorry guys, in the time it's taken me to write all of this, the OP has probably posted pics of his helmet and someone has positively screen-matched it to one onscreen in ANH! :lol

Cheers,
    John
    john@manicminer.plus.com

42. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Ya know, everytime someone posts something like this everyone jumps on them , bombarding them with a BAZILLIAN questions.... That's why I'll never post pix of my screenused stormtrooper buckets..... Your all animals!!!! No PM's please I'm not showin em!!!

43. voice in the crowd

Awwwww :cry

:lol

44. Apollo

Not this time! :lol

I made him a nice offer and it now sits in my black-hole of Screen-used Props from which never a photo is made, except for insurance purposes! :D

45. Kenobi

Kenobi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was initially suspect of this thread when I saw the author's forum name...last time I saw that name similar was a character in Dream a Little Dream (1989).

46. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

just call you the Thomas Crown of Stormtrooper helmets.

-James

47. Apollo

:lol :D :lol

48. Malphas

Malphas Well-Known Member

There happen to be a link or pics to this. I'd like to see it.

49. xenomorph

xenomorph New Member

It's a wind up.

His name says it all - P. S. dumb@$$ :p

50. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member