Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Steve just as a point I would be willing to help with your rendering possibly, I have access to some pretty hefty machines that might be able to churn out the renders fast. I pay for the up time on them, but I would be willing to try some just to see what the outcome is, how long they take on the beasts? If you want to set up some scenes for sketch up/skindigo I could try putting them on one of the boxes and and set it to render. Would at least mean not tying up your machine for 11 hours!

Hey I know that some greebles are repeated in several models due to the fact that many parts have to be reused from copies of the same kits and due to the enormous amount of greebles that were needed for so many spaceships and other prop designs. I was watching the dark gray greebles in page 60 and I noticed that a few of those greebles are exactly the same ones used in the top part of X-Wings behind the Astromech droids holes.

I know those very well cause I studied them a lot when I was creating my Blender low poly X-Wing model and I spotted them instantly.

I wonder if in the new Han Solo stand alone films we'll actually see Han get boarded and, just like in Indiana Jones: Last Crusade, if we'll see how Han got his scar?

My sorely-missed friend and mentor Brian Daley addressed the scar detail long before the Indy movies did.

Han Solo and the Lost Legacy was first printed August of 1980, and includes the explanation of Han Solo's chin scar.

In a nutshell, during the events of this book he got cut during a knife fight, but was unable to get to proper medical attention, i.e. synthflesh.

A female character comments on the changes to his appearance, with beard stubble and the scar, saying he didn't look so 'Slick' anymore, a reference to a nickname he had from his Academy instructor.

Did I mention Han and Chewie are going after a lost treasure in this book, spending most of the narrative's action in dusty tunnels and caves?

I told Brian shortly before his death that he'd 'predicted' a lot of the elements in the Indy movies (Raiders didn't come out until summer of '81, while the scar explanation in IJ&TLC wasn't until summer of '89) and even elements of 1983's Return of the Jedi could be found in HLL.

He said "You forgot standing the Falcon on its side to squeeze through a narrow rock cleft", which he'd done in his first Han Solo novel, published in '79 before ESB did it in 1980.

But he was quick to point out that it was simply "parallel thinking", owing more to a healthy diet of the same serials and comics that Lucas and Spielberg also cut their teeth on.

Alex

Last edited:
steve just saw your update on your blog WOW
you have got to 3d print your falcon!!!!!

Full Scale, too! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

My sorely-missed friend and mentor Brian Daley addressed the scar detail long before the Indy movies did.

Han Solo and the Lost Legacy was first printed August of 1980, and includes the explanation of Han Solo's chin scar.

In a nutshell, during the events of this book he got cut during a knife fight, but was unable to get to proper medical attention, i.e. synthflesh.

A female character comments on the changes to his appearance, with beard stubble and the scar, saying he didn't look so 'Slick' anymore, a reference to a nickname he had from his Academy instructor.

Did I mention Han and Chewie are going after a lost treasure in this book, spending most of the narrative's action in dusty tunnels and caves?

I told Brian shortly before his death that he'd 'predicted' a lot of the elements in the Indy movies (Raiders didn't come out until summer of '81, while the scar explanation om IJ&TLC wasn't until summer of '89) and even elements of 1983's Return of the Jedi could be found in HLL.

He said "You forgot standing the Falcon on its side to squeeze through a narrow rock cleft", which he'd done in his first Han Solo novel, published in '79 before ESB did it in 1980.

But he was quick to point out that it was simply "parallel thinking", owing more to a healthy diet of the same serials and comics that Lucas and Spielberg also cut their teeth on.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Interesting stuff! I was never able to get into the expanded universe... I know... shame on me... But thanks for the back story! :)

Just got caught up on this thread again,

Hey Steve, perhaps I missed it earlier in the thread, but is it possible to put up some side-by-side renders of the ANH Cockpit & the ESB Cockpit ?
(from roughly the same POV's)
-Especially the console and forward Cockpit areas.
Just to get a easy to grasp comparison of the differences between the two sets.
I never fully got my head around all the subtle changes just the obvious ones like horizontal Light Bar and such.

Sorry if this is a pesky or redundant request.

Still my favorite Thread on the forum! Thanks for all the hard work!

...I never fully got my head around all the subtle changes just the obvious ones like horizontal Light Bar and such...

Hi G,

There were MASSIVE changes made between ANH and ESB. The most significant was the additional 15" of depth added to the cockpit - this extended the light bars by 15". This allowed for much more space for the actors to move around / for filming. Also, rumor has it that ESB director, Irving Kershner was insistant upon adding tons of greeblies. The ANH version has lights and switches, but it's very clean when compared to the ESB version - which is the fan favorite cockpit. If you do a front canopy comparo between the two films, you'll see all the added details just in the canopy beams.

Also, in ANH, Han and Chewie would fly the MF by pushing buttons. Again, the changes for ESB included flight control yokes, extra levers, etc...

Hope this helps? :)

Thanks for the quick orientation SofaKing
I recently threw my lot in... and decide to go forward with a 5-footer build (yes the may be grounds to be certified)
Had so many of the kits already and is my 2nd favorite ship in the SW universe. (2nd Fav period)

Incidently, still getting caught up on your most excellent build thread! ... coolest project on the Board!!! (if not the continent !) Great work
Wish I could have joined in to lend a hand (I do a lot 3D Modleing & Sculpting -- RP, 3D-printing CNC milling etc. often for clients like EFX & SideShow Collectibles)
It looks as if you already have quit a few blokes with that skill set.

I'm still getting my head around the MF but I hope to give back to the community once I get up to speed..will be benefiting from the hard work, R&D and contributions of so many.
I cant believe how far the Cockpit has come truly amazing

doing the Gun tubs too?

Posted this on the Entertainment thread:

Lets get back to Kevin Smith....he has done another interview where he goes into more detail of what he saw on set

This news has got me very excited and I even mentioned my hopes that this would happen on a thread here somewhere:

Kevin Smith was doing a Q&A at the Neuchatel International Film Festival in Switzerland, where he shared even more bits about his Episode 7 set visit…

Here’s an excerpt from the Q&A via /Film:
What I saw, I absolutely loved. It was tactile — it was real. It wasn’t a series of ****ing green screens and blue screens in which later a bunch of digital characters would be added. IT was there, it was happening. I saw old friends who I haven’t seen since my childhood, who aren’t really friends, but I love them more than some of my ****ing relatives. I saw uniforms, I saw artillery I haven’t seen since I was a kid. I saw them shooting an actual sequence in a set that was real. I walked across the set, there were explosions. And it looked like a shot right out of a Star Wars movie.

Smith talked about visiting Stage M at pinewood, where they were not filming that day, where he visited the set of the Millennium Falcon:
He turns the lights on and there is the Millennium Falcon from my childhood. Now the ship outside looks like a movie set, but the inside, fully replicated, fully built. The guy told me, they took two blueprints: Star Wars and Empire, because the cockpit in Empire was bigger than the cockpit in Star Wars. So they went somewhere between the two. So he takes me over and I’m just looking at it. You look at it from the outside and you can still see inside. I don’t presume we’re going aboard or anything, and then Morgan (JJ’s assistant) says “You ready to go up?” I said (excitedly) “We can go on it?!”

As I walked up that ramp I realized that the something that was missing from those other movies (the prequels) and its now in these movies. And its not the obvious like hey the Millennium Falcon or hey the characters that we know are returning. Its something else entirely — he’s building a tactile world, a world you can touch. And hes replicating with all the love of someone who has the world’s greatest collection of Star Wars figures. And when you walk on that set man, I don’t know how else to describe it except thusly: you use another pop culture reference to describe this pop culture phenomenon. Its like the field of dreams, the Kevin Costner movie. And if JJ builds it, we’re all going to come hard, because its amazing. It looks fantastic. So anyone out there wondering if hes going to pull it off, hes pulling it off. He showed me cut scenes, he showed me sequences, images, pictures. I cried and I hugged that guy. And I’m sure as I was crying and hugging on him that he was thinking “time is money” because theyre making a movie. But he got it. He was very flattered. And I was like “Honestly dude, you’re doing it. You’re making my childhood again. You’re doing our Star Wars. What I saw, blew me away.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9...ideos/55760968

J

long time no post...

ok two things

if you haven't seen it already, I've started a brand new overly ambitious ANH falcon interior thread here http://www.therpf.com/f11/definitive-anh-falcon-interior-227052/
because apparently everything I've done up to now is just not good enough (I regularly curse my own personal high standards, but also curse my substandard craftsmanship which causes me to restart a lot of projects. You can see how that might end up being a bit circular)

Secondly, if you would like to navigate my old Falcon interior for yourself, I have finally lowered my guard and I'm posting the file for public consumption (to those of you who've PMed me hoping to see the model, only to be rebuffed, I apologize.) I'm still a little self conscious about the rough edges you might see, which don't show up in the renders, so go easy. If you want to use the model for anything, please talk to me first. Who knows what I'll actually say, but just send me a PM, or email me, or something. This is a college degree worth of shoddy love-labor, so, you know... be nice

ok, three things

I also finally (finally, finally, finally) posted a fully rendered flythrough of the model I've been working on in this thread. That was a dream a long long time in the making, and it's finally here. I uploaded to youtube here
youtube's compression really sucks, and it looks a bit less impressive than it does at home, so if you really want to see a nice version you can PM me and I'll try to send you the video.

ok four, there are four things I meant to say
I'm also a little tipsy (drunk), which could explain this sudden lapse in my usual grinchishness when it comes to the model I've been working on here for so long. So enjoy! And if you just happen to want to pry things out of me in future, be sure to mail me some liquor (whiskey, whisky, bourbon, and rye of all varieties appreciated)

and finally, of course (and extra to you who saw it coming) NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

...I'm gonna wonder what I was thinking tomorrow...

Very cool. We should get your full scale model, my old ESB 32" and Andre's 5' digital models together for a comparison render...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back