Screen accurate Gamora (GotG) costume

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Lythara, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Lythara

Lythara New Member

Hi All,

After lurking here for way too long I decided to post some of my work in progress as I attempt to recreate Gamora's costume for the upcoming London Film and Comic Con. The only thing I know right now that won't be screen accurate are the boots as I am already 6.1ft tall and adding heels to my boots will make me Godzilla and not Gamora :) Feel free to ask questions and/or give me feedback. Thanks!

Collar - WIP
    The collar will be made from worbla, and held together with a magnet closure at the front. I need to work out if there is enough flex in the material if I am able to get it on without damaging the paint and the aluminium hexagons on it or if I need to make a hidden hinge in the back.

Collar_05.jpg Collar_01.jpg Collar_02.jpg Collar_03.jpg Collar_04.jpg

The rings were a good deal on eBay, I will customize them with Worbla, the beads are for my hair and leather cord around my legs.
    And the belt buckles are aluminium, I just need to re-watch GotG to see what what else she has on her belt.
    Rings.jpg Beads.jpg Overview.jpg Buckles.jpg

Lastly the un-styled lace front wig - I should have learned Chinese as I think the process of getting the colours right would have been less painful :) And a test with Rigid Collodion from Mehron to make my facial markings.

Wig.jpg Rigid.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  2. Clow

Clow Member

Looks nice so far! What body paint are you gonna use for this?
    In the "Art of GOTG" they have really nice closeup shot of Gamora's makeup it will probably help

( I think godzilla's sexy)

You could always add the heels for a photoshoot maybe?

3. Lythara

Lythara New Member

I have booked a professional body painter, mainly to make sure I get a flawless finish and durability. Prior to booking I researched many options and found that airbrushing is the fastest and most streak free way of painting, hence I went looking for someone who could do this for me.

The boots look amazing and I still would like to make them, a photo shoot is a probably the best place to wear them :)

4. Clow

Clow Member

Ah great, yeah airbrushing is a good idea, and will definitly give you a better result ,
    Excited to see more of your build :)

5. Lythara

Lythara New Member

I decided that every girl needs an orb, so I have added the Infinity orb on my to-do-list.
    https://www.facebook.com/CustomCrafting was so kind to sell me one of his amazing 3d printed orbs which I have primed with a filler primer today. Tomorrow it will be sanded again and painted with a matt black, before the final detailing with Rub 'n Buff.
    Orb_01.jpg Orb_02.jpg Orb_03.jpg

Gamora her bracers are tricky and after many paper prototypes, I finally have started to craft them with materials.
    As her bracers have a texture I got 3cm textured rubber, the blue accents are faux leather combined with webbing buckles, which are weathered and scuffed.
    It takes about 4m of rubber to make one bracer minus the thumb part and closures.
    Bracer_01.jpg Bracer_02.jpg

I have recycled a pair of old boots which currently have the patterns stuck on top of them, I will cut the patterns from stiff faux leather and the front bit - alligator texture faux leather was very similar to the screen version - will be riveted down. I will probably have to draft in the help of my local cobbler.
    Boots_01.jpg Boots_02.jpg Boots_03.jpg

And finally I weathered and marked up most of my buckles :)
    Buckles_01.jpg

Shadeling likes this.
  6. Lythara

Lythara New Member

Orb is finished and my Infinity Stone arrived from Soulinertia, all finishes were done with Rub 'n Buff. On to the next part.
    Orb_01.jpg Orb_02.jpg Orb_03.jpg Orb_04.jpg

Shadeling and Soulinertia like this.
  7. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

@Lythara

I'll have the V2.0 available very soon if your interested ;)

I have a run going on here. Let me know if you want to be added to the list.

8. Lythara

Lythara New Member

More progress YAY! Still more to do BOOH!

Made a start on my collar, using Worbla and foam. I had to make a seam in the back part as it is too rigid and I wouldn't be able to part it far enough to get it round my neck.
    This will be sprayed with filler primer and touched up with flexible filler before it gets painted. Before the primer goes on I will reheat the Worbla and press all the aluminum 'hexagons' in the collar so when they get attached it sits flush in the collar. The collar closes via magnets encased in the Worbla.

Collar_06.jpg Collar_08.jpg Collar_09.jpg Collar_07.jpg

And my boots are done, this is the only piece of the costume I have taken a bit of creative license as I am already very tall heels would make me Gamora Godzilla.
    My local cobbler was awesome enough to take on this project :)

Boots_04.jpg Boots_05.jpg Boots_06.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

@Soulinertia Yes please ... let me know timings as I need it before July :)

Collar_06.jpg

Collar_07.jpg

Collar_08.jpg

Collar_09.jpg

Boots_04.jpg

Boots_05.jpg

Boots_06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    amydoesthings likes this.
  9. Lythara

Lythara New Member

I have been really tardy with my updates as I have been working a lot on the costume and doing work, work. However pics below ... enjoy! Nearly done :D

Costume_08.jpg Costume_09.jpg Costume_02.jpg Costume_03.jpg Costume_04.jpg Costume_05.jpg Costume_06.jpg Costume_07.jpg Costume_01.jpg stuff_01.jpg Collar_12.jpg Collar_11.jpg Collar_13.jpg Collar_14.jpg weapon_01.jpg weapon_02.jpg weapon_03.jpg weapon_04.jpg

10. Lythara

Lythara New Member

That bit is done .. belt and wig are next!

Costume_10.jpg Costume_11.jpg Costume_12.jpg

11. Soulinertia

Looking great so far! :thumbsup

12. FallenIdentity

FallenIdentity New Member

Looking awesome so far! Can't wait to see it completed! ^-^

13. Lythara

Lythara New Member

So here is Gamora without her trademark green tan :)
    I'm ready for next weeks London Film and Comic Con, only greener!

me02.jpg me01.jpg

Soulinertia likes this.
  14. RockIt

RockIt Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is coming together fantastically! It'll be great to see it when you're painted up. Are you going as part of a GOTG group or just a solo, fierce Gamora?
    For the worbla, did you follow a pre-existing pattern or try recreating the armor from reference photos?

15. Lythara

Lythara New Member

Nope I will be solo Gamora, after all I just stole Star Lord's Orb :)
    All my Worbla props were made from hand drawn patterns that I created myself, I just looked at a lot of pictures and re-watched the movie about 10 times.
    Then I made everything from paper and if it all worked I created it from Worbla.

RockIt likes this.
  16. StarLordGoG

StarLordGoG Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks awesome :) great work on the details ;) wish I could make the comic con as I'm 2 hour away from San Diego. I'm going to try to make it next year

17. Jango Wes

Jango Wes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Holy bejeezus, this is amazing work! Well done!

18. Lythara

Lythara New Member

Aww thank you, I lost count but I think over 200hrs have gone into it so far... I love working on little details like the beads in her hair or the trimmings on my boots. Nobody will notice them but I am happy knowing they are there ^^

I'll be even further away as it is the London Film and Comic Con :) Thank you for your kind words ... I'm very excited to be green this Saturday :)

19. Jango Wes

Jango Wes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think you will be quite surprised at the number of people who will notice the small details.

20. Lythara

Lythara New Member

I think it is great when people come up to you (sometimes in the same cosplay) and you can discuss all the intricacies of it :)

21. Lythara

Lythara New Member

Hi All,

So London Film and Comic Con was busy, very hot and loads of fun!
    Below are some pictures of what I got up to, some of them are mine others have the photographer credited in the image!
    I may wear the costume again in November for the Winter London Film and Comic Con, as it was great being green :)

Enjoy, comments and feedback always welcome!

Gamora_03.jpg Gamora_02.jpg SL_Gamora.jpg Marnix_Gamora.jpg Spock_Gamora.jpg Gamora_01.jpg MF_Gamora.jpg IC_Gamora.jpg

amydoesthings and Yrien like this.
  22. Soulinertia

Nice pics! The one with the stone is my favorite of course. :D

23. Lythara

Lythara New Member

You're way too biased :D

24. Tumbler

Tumbler Active Member

Funny, I always heard that it was not easy ;)

Amazing job on the suit and attention to detail. Like Jango said, it is the details that make it and are appreciated by many. Nailed it!

25. Lythara

Lythara New Member

Well getting the green off wasn't easy, I'm sure the company that does that laundry for the hotel will be scratching their heads when looking at the towels :)

Thanks for the compliment, i'm happy the way it looks and of course there are little tweaks I can make but for now I'm parking it. Next project will be a gender swapped Immortan Joe!

26. StarLordGoG

StarLordGoG Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The hotel was thinking Wow she's green ;) I wouldn't worry to much they'd just bleach the towels back to white. Nice costume by the way ;)

27. steveparkes

steveparkes Active Member

I remember seeing you and being blown away by your costume Lythara, awesome. well done, it must have taken ages to get all that green off :)

28. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nicely done!!

29. Lythara

Lythara New Member

I hope so ^^ The hotel staff was great, the moment I walked past reception they all wanted pictures. They told me that they enjoy the con season as they see all these cosplaying people on their way to the cons.

Thank you, it was so busy on Saturday which made it hard to stand still for pictures. I'm hope to wear Gamora again at MCM London and maybe at the LFCC winter edition too, as I think this costume deserves a few more cons :D

*blush* :$

steveparkes likes this.
  30. DonnaFerentes

DonnaFerentes New Member

Wow, that's incredible! Not a patch on yours, but here's my Gamora from Nine Worlds Geekfest this year. It's always really nice to see other versions of the same costume, especially since you know how much sweat and tears goes into making it! I'll look out for you at MCM London next month, though I'll be Elektra this time :)

20150808_132213.jpg

amydoesthings likes this.
  31. Lythara

Lythara New Member

I hear ya Gamora Sister :)
    Remember thinking 'it is like a pair of jeans with some bits added to it - how hard can it be'. Followed by 3 months of intense stress :D

I'm only planning on being in cosplay on the Saturday as Sunday I want to do interviews with cosplayers for my cosplay FB page, if you are about on the Sunday and in cosplay give me a shout on my FB happy to hear your cosplay experiences and stories! See you at MCM

www.Facebook.com/DarkArtsCosplayDesign

32. Lythara

Lythara New Member

IMG_0301.JPG
    Totally forgot to share this picture of an edit I created - bit of space Goodness. Also shoutout to all the people who contacted me about their Gamora build - hope it goes well and please ask questions if you need to!

partsguy17 and Soulinertia like this.
  33. Wolverine1977

Wolverine1977 New Member

How much are the orbs?. They look awesome. The costume looks like the real deal. Great job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

34. Lythara

Lythara New Member

Soulinertia, just does the infinity stones. I made the orb. A combo of both creates awesomess :)

IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPG