Interest Screen Accurate Back to the Future 2 Marty's 2015 Jacket Belt and Cuffs

TheNickFox

Sr Member
I'm going to keep this short and to the point, since I've noticed a trend of people using inaccurate belts and cuffs on their BTTF2 future jackets. As someone looking to work towards his own screen accurate jacket, I knew that wouldn't do.

So, I've worked with a very talented 3D designer to put together an accurate belt AND cuff model. (Yes they are different sizes, just like in the movie) These models will be printed, mold, and cast in a black urethane rubber.

Here are some quick shots of the 3D model. It's really not much to look at, but should give you a sense of the subtle details the 3D artist captured.

Here's a section of the belt:

View attachment 542720

And here's part of the cuff:

View attachment 542721

UPDATE (Oct. 30, 2015): Printed Parts Arrived

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 11.42.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-30 at 11.44.20 PM.png

...and to make sure it's as tough and resilient as possible, I will be embedding a strip of cloth into the urethane so that the next time you're part of a high speed Hoverboard chase, you don't have to worry about your belt breaking. (Something that has happened to the belts and cuffs on the screen used costumes over the years)

I still have to finalize the math, but it's looking like I should be able to provide a 54" belt and two 18" cuffs (enough for you to cut down to size) for $125-150.

I really want to offer these up since no one has ever just offered up pieces, and I need 8 people to commit to this run to make it happen.

If this run goes well, I will likely be offering up the other raw materials to this costume as I make them myself. This is the first piece I'm offering up in what I'm calling the "Fusion Industries Fashion" (FIF) Project.

So who's interested?

Interest list:

1) Nicofett
2) Sarednab
3) Adomeitw
4) jhk1976
5) Max Jenius
6) EmmaInCandyland
7) SteveParkes
8) Jedifyfe
9) HanSewLow
10) Davidsjferguson
11) hoverboard
12) JasonMcFly
13) Nuckz23
14) shoxxo
15) greeky04
16) El Diablo
17) edwinfabian
18) terse
19) ajhix
20) Booshman (x2)
21) MicroWavezzz
22)
23)
24)
25)

-Nick

Last edited:
Re: Back to the Future 2 Marty's 2015 Jacket Belt and Cuffs

It would be interesting to see some samples before commitment. I own a Markpoon jacket and the belt and cuffs are ok but seem bulkier than the screen used version. Also they are very delicate.

Nick.

It would be interesting to see some samples before commitment. I own a Markpoon jacket and the belt and cuffs are ok but seem bulkier than the screen used version. Also they are very delicate.

Nick.

Completely understandable. That's why there are no deposits or commitment required until I'm mastering the piece prior to molding. This is just to see whether there's interest enough to justify the run. So I'll throw you on the list and if you aren't happy with it by the time it's time to mold, no harm no foul.

-Nick

I am in same situation. Put me on list but I need to see all before confirm or not

I am in same situation. Put me on list but I need to see all before confirm or not
You got it. I'm ordering the prints this week, so when I have those in hand, I'll post that up.

In the meantime, here are some quick shots of the 3D model. It's really not much to look at, but should give you a sense of the subtle details the 3D artist captured. (I'll also add these to the first post)

Here's a section of the belt:

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 11.06.53 PM.png

And here's part of the cuff:

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 11.07.48 PM.png

-Nick

Thanks for info. All will be pending also in the quality of materials. I have it but too strong for me...we'll see this one ;)

I'm interested. I have the Mark Poon jacket too, and would consider upgrading to a better belt and cuff set.

Okay, we've got our 8 people. I'll put in the order for the 3D printed parts. In the meantime, if anyone else is interested, jump on board.

-Nick

Okay, we've got our 8 people. I'll put in the order for the 3D printed parts. In the meantime, if anyone else is interested, jump on board.

-Nick
Will these be accurate to the actual size from the movie? Because some chair spine parts differ in height. MPs belts were too big and the measurements were supposedly modeled from real chair parts.

Will these be accurate to the actual size from the movie? Because some chair spine parts differ in height. MPs belts were too big and the measurements were supposedly modeled from real chair parts.

The measurements are based on scalings I did off of objects of known size in the movie as well as in images of the props on display. Then the scalings of each belt were checked against each other in images where they both appear.

The waist belt is roughly 2.5" high and the cuffs are roughly 2" high based on my numbers.

Basically I started with the assumption that whatever chair they tore apart was some non-standard size and I might never find it and went from there.

-Nick

Last edited:

What's the thought on how to attach these to the jacket?

What's the thought on how to attach these to the jacket?
Glad you asked because that is one of the things I'm most excited about with this project.

The back will be flat so it can be affixed with epoxy, E600/Shoe Goo, or even urethane rubber. BUT I understand that some people want the option to pull it off later without destroying their jacket. So, with that in mind, I will be working to actually cast these with what I'm calling "Pass-throughs." Essentially, think of it like a tube that extends from the top of the belt to the bottom, passing through the body of it, with the entry and exit hole behind on the back side. (That's a lot more difficult to explain than I thought)

That will allow you to sew these on, use cable ties, or possibly even sew velcro onto the back! (All without the attachment method being visible)

It will require some experimentation to get right, since the belt itself is thin, making my tolerances tight, but I'm hopeful that it will work. If it all works, it should be a pretty cool feature! (Even if it adds some complexity to the molding process)

-Nick

Glad you asked because that is one of the things I'm most excited about with this project.

The back will be flat so it can be affixed with epoxy, E600/Shoe Goo, or even urethane rubber. BUT I understand that some people want the option to pull it off later without destroying their jacket. So, with that in mind, I will be working to actually cast these with what I'm calling "Pass-throughs." Essentially, think of it like a tube that extends from the top of the belt to the bottom, passing through the body of it, with the entry and exit hole behind on the back side. (That's a lot more difficult to explain than I thought)

That will allow you to sew these on, use cable ties, or possibly even sew velcro onto the back! (All without the attachment method being visible)

It will require some experimentation to get right, since the belt itself is thin, making my tolerances tight, but I'm hopeful that it will work. If it all works, it should be a pretty cool feature! (Even if it adds some complexity to the molding process)

-Nick

I took me a minute to envision it, but I figured it out. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back