Scratchbuilt Wedge Antiles X Wing Helmet

Sneezo

Scratchbuilt Wedge Antilles X Wing Helmet

First of all, this is my first thread and I’m from Germany, so please excuse if my english isn't the best. I always wanted to have an X-Wing Helmet, but the kits you can buy on ebay are quite expensive, so I decided to build my own one. I started by designing the helmet in CAD. I optimized the CAD file with MeshLab and made a pepakura file out of it. The first helmet I built seemed a bit small so I decided to scale it up and do the paperwork again.
This is what I ended up with:
20141008_134853.jpg
Then I gave it two coats of Resin and fiberglassed it. I did one surface by the time and sanded off the excess Material to get nice sharp edges.
Z_002.jpg
When the outside was completely fiberglassed, I applied a coat of fiberglass on the inside to give it more strength.
Then I gave it two coats of Bondo and sanded it for hours. I did again one surface by the time. Then I gave it a coat of gloss white paint to see if there are any imperfections left.
Z_003.jpg
From this state on it was nearly always the same process- applying bondo and sand it down again….
Z_004.jpg
I masked off the unfinished surfaces so I could paint the sanded ones. I used green paint to prime it, just because it was a cheap discounter color that I didn’t need anymore.
Z_005.jpg
When everything was sanded smooth, I gave it a few coats of white gloss paint.
Z_006.jpg
Z_007.jpg
Then I test fitted the edge trim and glued the end cap to the Mohawk. I built the end cap with styrene plates, which I hot glued together and filled with bondo. The inlay was built using plexiglass. Sadly I didn’t take any photos of this process.
Z_008.jpg
When this was done, I decided to add more details then I wanted in the first place. I started with the “strap holders”. I built them using a 5mm thick piece of plexiglass, which I sanded to the right dimensions. I used two M3 screws per side to attach them to the helmet and used bondo to fit it to the right shape of the helmet at the contact surface.
Z_009.jpg
Z_010.jpg
Then I started to build the “Horns” on the backside of the Helmet. I used a lot of bondo to build the rough shape. Then I sanded it to the right shape. It was quite tricky to get the right shape done, but finally I think I got it.
Z_011.jpg
When both sides were done, I gave it a few more coats of white paint. So that’s what the Helmet looked like when it got its basecolor.
Z_012.jpg
Now I could finally paint it. I decided to make it to an Wedge Antilles Return of the Jedi Helmet. So first I masked off the two upper surfaces and painted it with a moss green.
Z_013.jpg
Then I masked off the areas that will become black and spraypainted it.
Z_014.jpg
Then I masked off the yellow/black stripe on the Mohawk and the decal on the sides of the Helmet. So that’s what it looked like after this.
Z_015.jpg
Then I masked off the “Dot Decals” and painted them.
Z_016.jpg
Z_017.jpg
Finally my favorite part: the weathering. I used some light green color to give the moss green surface some highlights and mixed some black acrylic paint with lots of water and a bit soap to weather the rest of the helmet. So that’s how the finished Helmet looks.
Z_018.jpg
In the next weeks I will build the interior. I hope you like this thread and I’d be happy if you’d leave a comment.
Greetings,
Sneezo

Welcome to the RPF.

Awesome first post.
I like the weathering of your helmet. It looks as if the helmet has seen some dogfights during a rebellion ;)

I wanted a X-Wing helmet since I saw one on the cinema screen back in the 90s.
Haven't one yet, so maybe you are going to share the pepakura files?

Wow! Stunning work! I have struggled to model this helmet and think that you have made a superb job. It wasn't until I tried to make one that I realised how hard this helmet is to shape. PM being sent your way! :thumbsup :D

Hey guys,

thanks for the nice comments:)

I got a little update on the Helmet... I wanted to build a stand for the Helmet so I could present it a little bit nicer.
I started off with an 18mm thick wooden board , which i brought into shape with a jigsaw and finally shaped it with my lathe.
I milled a 20mm Hole into the bottom of the wooden board, so i could fit a washer and a nut into it. I stained the wood black and gave it three coats of a semi gloss clear lacquer.
Then I cut a M8 threaded rod to lenght, fitted an aluminum pipe over it and attached it to the baseplate.

20150204_100231.jpg

On the upper end of the stand i attached a 4mm thick Plexiglass plate, which I also lathed into shape and secured it with a M8 nut.

20150203_160645.jpg

I wanted to add the Rebel Logo to the baseplate, so i cut out the Logo from a adhesive white foil using a scalpel and sticked it to the baseplate.

20150204_100240.jpg

And here is my helmet on the finished stand:

20150204_100217.jpg
20150204_100203.jpg

I hope you like it;)
Greetings,
Sneezo

Awesome job Sneezo! Really well done. The weathering really finishes this off well.

I'd also like to get my hands on your pepakura file if that's OK :$? PM being sent.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back