Scratchbuilt mixed-media Fire Raptor

Hi Gorb
fantastic scratch build my friend, your use of so many odds and ends is brilliant, and yes the paint brings it to life I hope to see more of your builds in the future.

regards Barrie ( the old guy )

Hi Gorb
fantastic scratch build my friend, your use of so many odds and ends is brilliant, and yes the paint brings it to life I hope to see more of your builds in the future.

regards Barrie ( the old guy )

Thanks Barrie, much appreciated! I know, I tend to keep all sorts of "trash" to use in mixed scratchbuilding. Drives my wife crazy :)

This is seriously good. The detail and accuracy of the build is incredible.

Much obliged orthofox! Not sure about the overall accuracy, it deviates quite a bit from the original Forgeworld model.
At least the wings are balanced :)
And I did spend a large amount of time on little details (the interior is built and painted, just covered up in these shots).

Tonight I started weathering by adding paint chips, with a brighter orange, a dark gray and gun metal for exposed metal.

IMG_6522.JPG

Only the right wing is finished so far, this takes me ages :)

Here are closeups of the flaperon and the wingtip vtol fan outlet

IMG_6523.JPG
IMG_6524.JPG

This needs to be replicated over the entire bird, then I can seal it and do the logos & insignia.

Your choice of materials gives it a very nice taste.
It tells me still there are so many ways to express an imagination.
This is one of the good example of what model builds should be.
I'm really impressed.

katsu

Thank you for stopping by Katsu-San, very kind words!

I've added some more directional chipping to the weathering, seeing as this is a tank that flies through all sorts of ground fire and debris clouds, there should be scratches and scrapes from front to back:

IMG_6541.JPG
IMG_6542.JPG
IMG_6543.JPG
IMG_6544.JPG

Started painting the weathering on the ball turrets. Still need to heat-scorch the barrels, and they need a white racing stripe down the middle to fit in with the planned stripes on the main model.

Kinda reminds me of the drones from Oblivion.
IMG_6598.JPG
IMG_6599.JPG
IMG_6600.JPG

Given that the major airbrush work is now done, I opened the model up and removed the protective stuffing I had in there.
I re-primed the exposed metallic parts in preparation for giving them their metallic coat + weathering washes.

Here are some shots:

IMG_20190815_220604.jpg
IMG_20190815_220749.jpg
IMG_20190816_001959.jpg
IMG_20190816_002020.jpg
IMG_20190816_002043.jpg
IMG_20190816_002057.jpg
IMG_20190816_002245.jpg
IMG_20190816_002419.jpg

The model has been done for a while, and I just finished the paint job. I've added a large freehand raven to the top of the fuselage, added the chapter and company iconography, and done a final bit of weathering.

I've built a flyer base for it, using an acrylic rod I shaped into a curve, and added some battlefield debris in the shape of miscasts from my previous projects: some dreadnought bits, half a space marine torso
IMAG0006.jpg
IMAG0083.jpg
IMAG0040.jpg
IMAG0041.jpg
IMAG0043.jpg
IMAG0044.jpg
IMAG0046.jpg
IMAG0047.jpg
IMAG0048.jpg
IMAG0051_BURST001.jpg
IMAG0053.jpg
IMAG0061.jpg
IMAG0062.jpg
IMAG0068.jpg
IMAG0070.jpg
and some tank tracks from my Land Raider project.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back