Scratchbuilt mixed-media Fire Raptor

g0rb

Hi all,

I've been working on a scratchbuilt Fire Raptor. The main construction is done, and the assembled interior is painted, but I still have some detail to put on the outside before I can start painting it up.

The main build log is over at papermodelers.com, so I'll only post an excerpt of photos from the journey here, to keep it short and sweet.

Basically, I started with a template called "Fire raptor v3", which was apparently cobbled together from two other templates, one of which named "Fire raptor v2". I have been told that the original author is Alex Belyaev, who posts on the Warhammer Paperfabricators FB group.

The template is mostly accurate. There are some measurements that are clearly wrong when compared with the official Forgeworld model, but I tried to work around them as much as I could. I improvised a lot of detail, scratchbuilding the interior, engine intakes, wings, etc. using the template as base and extrapolating from there.

I added/improvised a fair number of moving parts on the bird:
* the rear ramp, top hatch can open, flaperons, wingtip exhausts and canopy are all hinged
* the two ballturrets can swivel, the canons can tilt, and the turret hatches are magnetized
* the landing gear are removable, and the covers can be closed
* the top section of the bird is removable, so the interior is visible.

She is built (as usual) from paper, cereal packaging, index card and chipboard, with various bits of plastic rod and bits and pieces thrown in.

The pilot and gunner figurines are all cast from a master that I sculpted out of greenstuff and poly clay.

Here are the pictures:
oIMG_6056.JPG IMG_6073.JPG IMG_6096.JPG IMG_6098.JPG IMG_6099.JPG IMG_6106.JPG IMG_6152.JPG IMG_6194.JPG IMG_6195.JPG IMG_6206.JPG IMG_6213.JPG IMG_6228.JPG IMG_6250.JPG IMG_6255.JPG IMG_6294.JPG

I know absolutely nothing about gaming but I have always love their aesthetic. Fantastic work dude!!

Hi Chaank, thanks for stopping by! Funny thing is, I've never played a game of 40k in my life. But the models and aesthetic fascinate me too. Thanks!

Looks great! Primer always brings it together... Get 'er done so we can see it...lol...

Cheers korben, it's on its way :)

This is seriously impressive stuff - and a true scratch-build. Hats off to you!

My first scratch-build spaceship was made from a match-stick frame covered with cereal packet card. I had the same kind of upbringing - learning crafting skills from my dad. Can't wait to see it all painted up. :)

Thanks skiffy! I'm trying to "educate" my kids in the same way. It must be working, every time we finish a cereal box we have a discussion about who gets it for their crafts :)

I can't wait to see it painted up too, or at least primed. I only get a chance to work on it in the evenings, and I don't have a spray booth so I need a nice windless evening.

In the meantime I'm painting up the crew and other odd bits:

Attachments

• IMG_6402.JPG
    IMG_6402.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 458
I've masked off the interior, using silly putty, masking tape and balls of newspaper, then proceeded priming the model.
The level of detail seems about right, I am happy with it.

Painting this is going to be interesting. I am excited about it, but I'm preparing myself for the long haul...

Attachments

• IMG_6420.JPG
    IMG_6420.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_6419.JPG
    IMG_6419.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 481
  • primed.jpg
    primed.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 428
  • primedetail2.jpg
    primedetail2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 470
  • primedetail1.jpg
    primedetail1.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 704
Hey skiffy! Thanks for stopping by!

Yes, I'll be using a Blood Ravens color scheme, so the darker reds, bone whites and black.
I have in mind to cover the raptor in a red basecoat, with some white racing stripes on the wings and the side of the hull.
I would like to to a freehand black raven silhouette spread out across the upper hull. We'll see if my painting skills can match my vision :)

Small update, I made the flying base for the model using 1/4" acrylic rod that I curved after putting it in the oven.
The base will be removable, I also plan to make a landing pad base since the Raptor has removable landing gear.

Attachments

• IMG_6450.JPG
    IMG_6450.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 463
OUT
STANDING

I had to check back to make sure I understood what the base material of this was. :)

You should be working at Forgeworld.

Wow!

Paint makes it even more amazing!

Being painted now I would never be able guess it being mostly made of cardboard and paper!

OUT
STANDING

I had to check back to make sure I understood what the base material of this was. :)

You should be working at Forgeworld.

Thanks skiffy!

Wow!

Paint makes it even more amazing!

Being painted now I would never be able guess it being mostly made of cardboard and paper!

Cheers Analyzer!

Yes, as usual the magic of paint hides all the different kinds of paper / bits of plastic that went into the build, and just blends it all together into a unit. I'm leaving the internal undercarriage wells unpainted so I can show people afterwards that yes, this is in fact made out of cereal boxes :D

As for working at Forgeworld, that would be kind of cool...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back