Scratchbuilt Ebon Hawk - New Pics 12/18

bobbyfett

Active Member
Hey guys,
I just wanted to share some pictures of a project I am working on right now. It's a scratchbuilt Ebon Hawk from the LucasArts game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Here are some pictures of my progress so far: http://www.starwarsmodels.com/hawkprog.html
It started out as a lowly acrylic clock face and with the addition of piles of styrene, Aves, Bondo, and some kit parts for detailing, it is coming along nicely. Anyway, let me know what y'all think of it so far. :)
 

Sumatra

Sr Member
That looks fantastic. I really love the Ebon Hawk. It fits into the SW universe so well. Can't wait to see it finished.
 

KnightAsylum

Sr Member
Wow that looks really great. I have very little modeling skills but that is the one ship I considered trying to make from scratch.
Very nice :D
 

Griffworks

Well-Known Member
Awesome work. Isn't it amazing what you can never really "see" in what I call "found objects"? We have all kinds of stuff around us that we never look at in the light of being model parts and most of us never see it. I look at a lot of stuff a start trying to picture them as space station or starship hull parts.

Anyhow, great looking buildup so far. Wish I had half your skills. :thumbsup
 

bobbyfett

Active Member
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm pretty proud of myself for thinking to use the clock cover, so it's good to see it's appreciated. :D After over a month, here are some new pics of what I've been doing on the rear of the ship: http://www.starwarsmodels.com/hawkprog.html It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to make the large ridges that lead to the engines. At first I was thinking of cutting large diameter tubing. However that wouldn't follow the right shape as the ridges are tapered and not a perfect arc. Then I thought of using bracing strips every few mm cut to the curve I wanted and covering it with a plastic sheet, but the odd taper of the ridge made bending the plastic impossible/very frustrating. Finally I decided to cut layers of plastic (20 to be exact) to correct widths (that way I could get the exact taper and curve I needed) and laminated them on top of one another. I then filled the spaces with putty and sanded/filled a million times until they came out smooth. It worked out ok in the end I think. I still have to do the bottom of the rear section as well as the whole area between the engines that connects everything.
I've also been working on the section between the cockpit and the starboard outrigger - the area where the boarding ramp comes down. I've got it mostly complete, but there's still some tweaking necessary. Some odd angles. Lotsa those on the Hawk. Anyway, enjoy the pics. :)
 
Top