Scratchbuilding USS Excelsior - 1:350 *updated photos* 15/04

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by JBReplicas, Jan 6, 2012.

1. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok so I am considering attempting to scratch build a decent sized USS Excelsior NCC - 2000, however I am finding it difficult to decide on a scale that I could work to. I had considered using my 1/1000 AMT kit as reference and simply scaling everything 100% up making it theoretically 1/500

Any thoughts or opinions that anyone can offer are most welcome as at the moment this is purely an idea that I'd like to have a good go at :thumbsup

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Re: Scratchbuilding USS Excelsior - what scale?

Let me ask the other way around… How much space do you have at home? You can do it as studio scale or one that is larger than the AMT, but still fits nicely on the shelf. How much details would you like to add (not that it matters to the Excelsior…)?

3. JBReplicas

I know I do not have space to make it 1:350, i.e in scale with my Polar Lights refit, I think that would work out around 52'' long. I'm aiming for something around the 30''- 35'' mark, I want to add as much detail as possible.

4. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well they had this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. phase pistol

Pedro likes this.
  6. JBReplicas

fantastic photos thank you, is there any idea what sort of scale this one is? Looks to be about the size I am aiming for

7. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

My guess it's the 40" scale

8. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Sr Member

That smaller Excelsior model (NCC-42111) is the later one created for Voyager and DS9, and from some quick Googling the one source I found said the model is 41" long (so basically 40" as YenChih Lin stated).
    The original full size Excelsior studio model used in the movies was 92" long.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  9. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Personally I'd go as big as you can manage without worrying about running out of space. That way you can get all the detail you want without worrying about it being so small it's fragile or so big it'll get bumped or something else to hurt it.

10. JBReplicas

I think 1:350 is probably as big as I'd like to go, my next issue would be getting the correct dimensions and from there sketching them out to see what I'd be looking at, can anyone point me in the direction of accurate measurements?

11. phase pistol

Excelsior is notoriously out of scale on screen in various incarnations

Ex Astris Scientia - Size of the Excelsior Class

But 1:350 seems like a nice size to go with your inevitable Round 2 TOS and Refit Enterprises. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  12. JBReplicas

yes I was looking at that earlier actually, thanks for the pointers, I'm now going to dig out some A1 paper and sharpen some pencils, hopefully I'll have a better idea of where to go shortly

13. ave4uevoli

ave4uevoli Sr Member

I'm completely biased here as I'm trying to fill out my own collection - but 1:650 scale would be fabulous. I don't know if this'll be a one off or you'll be making a kit but if you do, I'm totally there!

Good Luck

14. JBReplicas

I'm definitely leaning towards 1:350, I have some tentative dimesions roughed out, looks like the saucer will be around 20'' diameter and the nacelles a whopping 27.25'' overall length is around the 52'' mark

15. JBReplicas

I have sketched out all the main parts and am going to transfer them to card stock to make a rough layout of the whole thing, its big, real big

16. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow a 1/350 Excelsior is going to be big, but the bigger the better. That thing looked huge in the space dock when we first get a glimpse.

The later Jein built miniature for the Voyager episode has a much shallower hull at the bottom than the larger one originally made for the film. I always wondered why they built such a large intricate model for a ship that didnt see a lot of time moving on screen. But test audiences hated the idea of the crew not being on an Enterprise and they printed up some A decals for the refit. It's a great ship and you can really tell there was a lot of time and consideration put into this radical new design. Which is why it's exciting to see a new version.

Will it be an NCC or an NX?

17. JBReplicas

it will be the NCC-2000 version, I was blown away by it in ST6, yes I thought the hull on the voyager version looked smaller, I wasn't keen on the glowing warp engines either but thats just my preference.

Whilst I await some materials I am just mocking up a half scale version in styrene to get to grips with some techniques

18. JBReplicas

I am now thinking that for me personally, given the space I have to work with 1:350 is just going to be too big, its a shame but its not the end of the world, one day when I have a much bigger work space I may try it. For now I am going slightly smaller.

19. TheRealMcFly

If you were already considering 1/500 why not do it in 1/537? This way it would still be in scale with the AMT refit and Reliant, with good aftermarket decal support.

20. JBReplicas

yes that is exactly what I am planning

21. JBReplicas

Re: Scratchbuilding USS Excelsior - 1:350

Later this evening I will post up my progress on my test build, this is being made from my 1:350 dimesnions but at exactly half scale, its coming together very nicely and has made me believe once again that 1:350 is achievable!

22. JBReplicas

Re: Scratchbuilding USS Excelsior - 1:350

17/01/12

Here are the first bunch of photos of my test model, this is going to be made up of sheet styrene, filler, cardboard, and basically anything else I can utilise, the photos show the construction of the lower saucer, I cut out the basic shape and then added a smaller diameter circle in the centre and also a ring around the outside to give it the trench feature, then I went about mocking up 10 'ribs' which I spaced about the centre of the main circle, over these ribs I then layed 'pizza slices' of 0.25mm styrene to get the basic profile of the dish, I learned that more support was needed and more separate slices, which sums up the purpose of this test model, for me it is going to hopefully highlight any areas that I will need to re-think so I dont just go wasting a load of my actual build materials. You can also see the basic shape of the primary hull and the neck section which is made up of 36 sections all hand cut and layered up, as of now I have lightly bondo'd over the saucer profile and will begin sanding tomorrow, then I will assemble the neck and begin work on marking out the primary hull profile. Questions, comments and suggestions are very welcome :thumbsup

Atlanthia and robn1 like this.
  23. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Re: Scratchbuilding USS Excelsior - 1:350 **test model photos**

Looking forward to seeing the final model, especially if you end up doing it in 1:350!

24. trekman1017

trekman1017 Well-Known Member

Beautiful

25. JBReplicas

Thanks, I have now smoothed out the underside of the lower saucer, again I'm not looking for 100% on this test model but I want it to look half way decent when she goes together. I have started applying ribs to the secondary hull, the spaces in between will then be filled with expanding foam and then bondo. After that I forsee lots of sanding to get the curvature of the hull correct. I hope to post up photos later of the almost finished neck section.

26. JBReplicas

18/01/12

Here is the main neck section fitted together, it is made up of 50 sections of 0.5mm styrene, 25 large and 25 ever so slightly smaller on all internal dimensions. I am now constructing the 'surround' that surrounds the section of the neck where it joins the lower saucer, I will place temporary magnets in the neck and lower saucer so I can test fit them securely before gluing. The 2nd photo shows the lower saucer with a piece of .75mm styrene cut to the contour of the neck, I have marked out in pencil the area to be built into the surround, thanks

27. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

Re: Scratchbuilding USS Excelsior - 1:350 *test model photos* 18/01

Looking good!

28. STpropguy76

STpropguy76 Active Member

Hi,

I know your whole thread is on Scratch building the Excelsior and it looks like your doing a great job.
    I just wanted to let you know if your interested that I came across this on FeeBay

Lunar Models "Star Trek: USS Excelsior" resin vacuform garage model kit RARE!
    BIG! 41 Inches in length
    Item number: 200704094912

As of today it's got 5 days left.

You could use it for reference.

29. JBReplicas

Thank you, I appreciate the heads up but I am determined to do this fully from scratch, besides which, the supposed inaccuracies of the Lunar Models kit don't justify the high price tag but thats just my humble opinion.

30. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

The Lunar kit is *CRAP*.I've acquired two of them over the last 10 years or so and they definately aren't worth the $$$.It was hard selling them too due to the amount of money it cost to purchase them orignally.

31. Shizman

Shizman Active Member

Good job so far. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

32. JBReplicas

Thanks, I hope to have some more photos to show soon, I have foam filled the main hull and am working on the exterior filler layer to get the profile right, I am also building the bridge section.

33. TheRealMcFly

Always nice to see your progress, this is going great. Finally some proper attention to the Excelsior.

That's the first time Ive seen the Lunar Models unbuilt. Every time I read about it theres never good things said. Its an NX patterned before a whole lot of reference and WAS the only one ever made in approx scale to the AMT refit.

The NCC detailing better conveys the sense of scale IMO.

34. JBReplicas

I am very happy with how the main hull is shaping up, having never scratch built anything like this it was a relief that the expanding foam worked so well, its made me re-think how to go about the saucer which is the main thing that worries me, lots of funny angles and curves

35. JBReplicas

The impulse/bridge section has now been foam filled and a layer of filler applied over to smooth it out, I will have photos to show tomorrow.

36. JBReplicas

UPDATE 01/02

Here is a long overdue update, I have made good progress since the last, here you can see the main hull section where I added several ribs to layout the general profile, from there I added expanding foam in between which fills out the space in between, over that I then added a few thin layers of P38 (bondo) and sanded to get the desired shape. I have also nearly finished scratch building the Bridge/Impulse Engine section, this will be slotted into the upper profile of the saucer and blended in also using the expanding foam and P38, the last photos show all the respective parts thus far, thanks

37. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Re: Scratchbuilding USS Excelsior - 1:350 *updated photos* 01/02

Excellent construction pics...... thanks for sharing
    cool stuff!:thumbsup

38. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Looking great, cant wait to see more.

Al

39. JBReplicas

thanks, getting set to apply expanding foam to the upper saucer and then I'll smooth that out and work on the filler, I am also sketching out ideas for how to build the warp engines

40. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Whoa be careful with the expanding filler on styrene. The foam generates alot of heat and sometimes it can warp thin styrene. Been there and done it once. but your parts are small enough you should be ok.

Al

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  41. JBReplicas

yeah thanks for the tip, its worked out fine so far, I used it already on the main hull and the impulse drive section

42. Mauiman

Mauiman Well-Known Member

This thing is looking great and I am giving you props for doing this. Not actual props but figurative props.

43. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

Wow! It's coming along veeeery nicely! That baby is going to be HUGE! Especially once you add the warp nacelles.

44. Shizman

Shizman Active Member

I love this. Now, is this a one off model or do you plan on making molds and doing her in fiberglass?

45. JBReplicas

thanks for all comments, I have added filler to the upper saucer ribs and sanded smooth, a few holes are present so I will spot fill it tomorrow, sand then prime and see where we are. As far as making molds, this was only ever intended as a test model to see if I could actually scratch build a scale model, but you never know...

46. JBReplicas

I hope to be back on this project very soon, had a few other things to finish up but I'm keen to pick it up again

47. enan

enan New Member

this is looking real good so far, definitely a challenging build. Are you going to light it up?.. Steve Neill did a Enterprise B build and posted quite a few videos of it on his blog...

Terry

48. MightyTank

MightyTank New Member

Looking good!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

49. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Wow- very impressive work!

50. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

You've excelsiored yourself! Great build!