Scratchbuild X-wing - from CGI to studio scale build

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by imkold, Feb 20, 2012.

1. imkold

imkold New Member

Hi guys, I'd like to present my long-term project - a scratchbuild X-wing. Seems like there's a lot of these recently :) I actually started a few years back, when I wanted to create a 1/48 paper model. I started looking for references and I found this site. Using all the materials I could find, I created a set of blueprints and a 3D model, both of which I'm improving over the time. Then I build a pair of fuselages from paper. They looked fine, and I got plenty of references, so sometime around the beginning of last year I decided to build a studio-scale version from balsa.
    So, this is some of the progress from the last year and where I'm standing now:

0.early blueprints created from a 3d model
    [​IMG]
    1.humble beginning, size comparison to half-sized paper model
    [​IMG]
    2.aft fuselage frame
    [​IMG]
    3.wrapping the frame with 1,5 mm balsa
    [​IMG]
    4.carved upper part of the nose
    [​IMG]
    5.nose attached to the fuselage - I had to break it off and glue it back two times due to slight misalignment
    [​IMG]
    6.overall view
    [​IMG]
    7.top view
    [​IMG]
    8.current state: filler applied over more than half of the body and the kitparts that I currently have
    [​IMG]

The fuselage shape should be ready soon, then I'll apply more wood filler on all the surfaces and sand it smooth. I'll hopefully get the Saturn V kit soon, then I'll start making a wing prototype.

And - I'm most thankful to all the guys that share photos and information about the studio models and their own builds! I wouldn't be able to get this far without the info from this site.

2. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

Nice one. I can see this will end up in the One Stop X-Wing Sticky. Can't wait to see more.

3. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I wonder why no interest in this usually the board like any thing x-wing

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Ah don't read into why (timezones, life, whatever). Imkold just keep working on that sweet X & thanks for sharing!

-Mike

5. -... . .- --..

-... . .- --.. Sr Member

He certainly has my attention.

6. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Love that balsa fuselage. It looks great :love
    Following this thread with attention.

Rafa

7. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

The dims look pretty good. Are you gonna cast it in resin or build the whole thing as a wooden model?

8. imkold

imkold New Member

Thanks for the comments! I'll definitely try to cast the fuselage, having a few rigid copies would be nice. I don't have much casting experience though. I only tried to cast an airplane wing with epoxy&fiberglass once. It went quite well, but the wing was about 1/10 of size of this thing...

9. slynger

slynger Active Member

looks to be progressing nicely!

10. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

(y)thumbsup:thumbsupReally impressive!

11. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

Why didn't you use styrene to make your fuselage? Balsa is flimsy and you won't be able to scribe panel lines in it for detail you could have have used Basswood just as light as Balsa but stonger and skinned it with thin sheet styrene.

12. jawsmodels

jawsmodels Well-Known Member

Good work.
    The shape looks right.

13. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Awsome i mad my first one out of balsa as well
    looking great!:thumbsup

14. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

I think it would look cool if you didn't skin it and left the plastic
    parts on there raw....it would have a real different look! Like
    it was never meant to look finished but it is finished.........
    i dont know!:facepalm LOL

15. Pro Mod

Pro Mod Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've never got on with balsa myself, but you're doing a great job!:thumbsup

16. imkold

imkold New Member

Thanks guys!
    I didn't have much resources when I started. Balsa was much cheaper than plastic, I had some at home already, and it was easy to work with, so I went with it. The downside is that making a smooth surface finish takes ages. I guess that I will use styrene for the canopy frame and the wings though.

I reworked the slanted area above the buttplate, it was noticeably off by a few millimeters here and there, so I ripped some material away and started again. I'm much more satisfied with it now, but it still needs some filling and sanding to make it even&smooth, of course.
    I bought a can of Dupli-color car's filler and primer, made a pass over the surface and sanded it smooth to see if it will be usable as a protective surface finish layer over the wood filler. Luckily it worked just fine.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. imkold

imkold New Member

I added some more material at the back, now I have to sand smooth the surface.
    [​IMG]

18. imkold

imkold New Member

I'm working on having a nice smooth surface on this thing. It's a never-ending circle of filling and sanding. I got myself a polyester putty, it smells awfully but it's way better than the wood filler I was using before; doesn't crack, holds better on the surface etc.
    Ah, and I should finally make the canopy frame and the torpedo launcher tubes, it looks just wrong without them.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. atom

atom Active Member

Hi!

Your fuselage is very beautiful!:)
    Canopy frame looking good, too.

I'm looking forward to your future progress.:thumbsup

all the bests.

20. imkold

imkold New Member

Thanks! I'm trying to do my best. And compliments on your X-wing, you did a great job on the rear plate!

21. imkold

imkold New Member

Slowly getting there. There's still a lot of sanding & filling ahead, but I think the overall shape is ok now:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. farlander

farlander New Member

Incredible. Though it is a lofty and far off goal, I've always wanted to build a life-size X-Wing. Where I'd store it... no idea. If I ever do so, I'll have to contact you about blueprint. :)

23. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Very nice clean build!

24. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Your looking great nice work!:thumbsup

25. imkold

imkold New Member

I added the canopy frame (not quite finished yet) and made some puttying & symmetry fixes. Too bad it's freezing outside, so I can't spray it with primer.
    By the way: how much does the sides of lower half of the nose protrude compared to the sides of lower half of the fuselage? I can't decide between 1mm or 1,5mm. Thanks for any help!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

26. kh39

kh39 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Since my english is not good,I don't understand which part you are talking about,but your fuselage looks very accurate.
    I can't wait it finished.:)

27. imkold

imkold New Member

Hi, I described it rather awkwardly :) Basically it's this dimension that I'm curious about:
    [​IMG]
    I'm glad you like it. I still have some difficulties with the nose shape, it's hard to get it look correct.
    Have a good luck with your red 2 conversion, I'm watching it :)

28. kh39

kh39 Well-Known Member

Oh I see.It is very difficult for me to say and I always keep that sometimes there are compromises to be made in my mind.
    Since I haven't worked on the nosecone at all I'm not so sure,but I think 1.5mm or 2.0mm would be correct.I think the nosecone on the pyro kit is too small.

29. kh39

kh39 Well-Known Member

This is kind of illusion.I think the nosecone was originally more like square shape at the rear end,but was smoothed with filler.So it doesn't look as thick as it looks in my opinion.
    As I said,I'm not sure untill I will work on the nosecone.Maybe Kevin has a better opinion.
    Let's wait what he thinks!:)

By the way,thank you for watching my thread.It's very slow,but making progress one by one.

30. imkold

imkold New Member

Thanks for your input! When I look at it now, it's very much possible that the sides of the nose were a bit less pronounced on pyros that on the heros. I'll go with 1.5mm for now then.

Persistence is more important than speed :) I myself started working on mine more than year and a half ago. Not counting the preliminary phase of drawing my own blueprints, 3d models for comparison and so on.