hoosleberg

Jr Member
For the past 3 months I've been slowly chipping away at a studio scale T-65. I have been able to source about 10 of the less rare kits on ebay. For the hard to find kits I plan to scratch or 3d print the pieces. Full size drawings posted on the forums, the ILM Red 3 pics and Bandai's 1/72 kit have been my main references. Many of the builds posted on the rpf have provided inspiration and guidance.

I started with the wings because they were the simplest form to wrap my head around
IMG_4976.jpg
IMG_4965.jpg

All the references I checked seemed to have different measurements so I had trouble figuring out placement of the panel lines and openings. It took 3 versions til I was happy, but I'm sure they're still not perfect!
IMG_4993.jpg

Plastruct HO brick was used. Not holgates and reynold but looks good enough for me.
IMG_4995.jpg

Since building the first 2 wings I've acquired the Fujimi Elephant kit. Once I mold and cast the piece in it I'll replace the greebs I scratched. Or leave them and make them the bottom wings, out of view?
IMG_5018.jpg



Starting on the fuselage, back to front
IMG_5206.jpg

IMG_5216.jpg

IMG_5385.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

If I could go back in time I would add more bulkheads from the cockpit to nosecone. I had to do a lot of annoying surgery to reinforce this area after I noticed some sagging and flexing.
IMG_5423.jpg

The canopy lines seem to defining part of the ship once you start staring at the references long enougho_O so getting everything to line up and look correct has been a chore.
IMG_5434.jpg



The forward section of the fuselage needed lots of filling and shaping once the styrene had been beefed up.
IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

Using bondo to bulk and Tamiya grey to smooth

Making the 'skeleton' of the nose
IMG_5479.jpg

then add bondo
IMG_5520.jpg

transition to fuse
IMG_5570.jpg

IMG_5575.jpg


refining the curves. Took many many many fillings and shapings to get the nose to my liking.
IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5603.jpg

the last nose thing for now was to make the opening a little skinnier
IMG_5617 (2).jpg

and first draft of the canopy.
IMG_5606.jpg

It was kind of small
IMG_5624.jpg

testing fit of the second version
IMG_5637.jpg

assembled and gussied up. I'm still working on the fitment of canopy to the cockpit perimeter.
IMG_5663.jpg

bottom cargo door
IMG_5669.jpg

side door
IMG_5673.jpg

marking out the torpedo tubes. I probably should have done the tubes during the initial construction of the fuselage.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5673.jpg
    IMG_5673.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 15

ganesha7

New Member
Great work and great pictures!
Love to see the progress of a build in such detail.

BTW, I have all the necessary kits that donate to this model's fuselage and wings (except for the Hummel).
I'd be happy to send you some resin castings, if you're interested.

Keep up the awesome work!
 
Last edited:

hoosleberg

Jr Member
Great work and great pictures!
Love to see the progress of a build in such detail.

BTW, I have all the necessary kits that donate to this model's fuselage and wings (except for the Hummel).
I'd be happy to send you some resin castings, if you're interested.

Keep up the awesome work!
Definitely interested, I'll be in touch. I have to figure out exactly which pieces I don't have. Thanks!


I got the torpedo tubes roughed in this morning.
IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5689.jpg

They'll need some cleaning up.

I want to get the nose all buttoned up but I'm debating whether or not to add the swept back bottom part that is on all the other x-wings.
 

ganesha7

New Member

hoosleberg

Jr Member
I've been able to get some work done on the back plate.
IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

Saturn pieces attached and the six lower holes marked out.
IMG_5703.jpg

Spacers/bracing in the fuse to get the correct depth
IMG_5711.jpg

I scratched the 1/15 Hummel parts.
IMG_5713.jpg

Dry fit of everything so far. Monogram axle piece trimmed too.
Vertically its a tight squeeze!
 
Last edited:

Studio Kitbash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is BEAUTIFUL -- I'm always super inspired (and impressed) by anyone with the fortitude to do a true scratchbuild, and the 3 steps forward, 2 steps back reverse-engineering is nothing less than amazing to see. Wonderful stuff, and thanks for showing your work -- very beautifully done.
 

hoosleberg

Jr Member
A few small updates...

The Bandai Shiden/Hummel pieces were made. Hard to find a premade source for these.
IMG_5765.jpg

Mitered some tube then rounded the corner and filled/shaped
IMG_5785.jpg

The 'pac-man' pieces were made by layering half circle of styrene
IMG_5786.jpg

Add some basic rectangular pieces for the blocky details
IMG_5787.jpg


I made a new version of the canopy with slightly altered angles (fits much better) and new side panels with a taper
IMG_5790.jpg


IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg


A little more filling to do on the fuselage then i can start on panel lines
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top