Scratch-built thirty years ago: Exlar M-70

lunde

I scratch-built this when I was 15 years old (1981), and called it the Exlar M-70:

exlar-m70-1.jpg

exlar-m70-2.jpg

exlar-m70-3.jpg

exlar-m70-4.jpg

exlar-m70-5.jpg

exlar-m70-6.jpg

According to the inscriptions on the inside of the battery compartment, I started working on this on 09/14/1980, and finished on 01/29/1981. I did the lighting and electrical system on my own. There are two red reactor lights, visible from the front, and a white engine light, visible from the rear. It once had a fairly large cannon on the right of the cockpit, which somehow managed to get lost. Given that it is over 30 years since I made it, it is in surprisingly good shape. The electrical system still works, as evidenced by these crappy cell phone photos.

I'll try to take some better photos today using my Nikon D300.

In terms of identifying kit parts, I was heavily into Tamiya tank models at the time. The main piece that is visible on the top-rear in the fourth photo is the stand from a Star Wars model kit, if memory serves, perhaps from the Darth Vader TIE Fighter.

Some memory is coming back in terms of where some of the parts came from. A few panel-like parts came from the interior of an original Flying Sub model kit. I also used some parts from a V8 engine model kit. I also built an accompanying spaceship of the same basic size, but sadly it did not survive. While this one (the Exlar M-70) was a freighter-style spaceship, the other one was more of an attack-style one. I drew, from memory, a side and top schematic of the ship a few years ago. I will try to dig it up.

Great work, I like it.

The Vader TIE stand was a clear dome. This one looks like the Cylon Raider stand.

Thanks, Rob, for jogging my memory. I did have a Cylon Raider kit, so it makes sense that I used the stand.

I think I can see parts from a B-29 in there :lol

One of those twin "below the belly" gun pods and those distinct WW II bomber wheels bring back a lot of memories...

This certainly brings back a lot of memories. I would buy 1/8th or 1/16th inch sheet styrene plastic for building these models. I would even make my own glue, by using thinner to melt leftover plastic struts.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back