Scratch-built thirty years ago: Exlar M-70

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by lunde, Dec 1, 2011.

1. lunde

lunde New Member

I scratch-built this when I was 15 years old (1981), and called it the Exlar M-70:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lunde

lunde New Member

According to the inscriptions on the inside of the battery compartment, I started working on this on 09/14/1980, and finished on 01/29/1981. I did the lighting and electrical system on my own. There are two red reactor lights, visible from the front, and a white engine light, visible from the rear. It once had a fairly large cannon on the right of the cockpit, which somehow managed to get lost. Given that it is over 30 years since I made it, it is in surprisingly good shape. The electrical system still works, as evidenced by these crappy cell phone photos.

3. Solochaser

Solochaser Well-Known Member

Wow, great job!

4. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Looks good , now lets Id those kit parts.

5. lunde

lunde New Member

I'll try to take some better photos today using my Nikon D300.

In terms of identifying kit parts, I was heavily into Tamiya tank models at the time. The main piece that is visible on the top-rear in the fourth photo is the stand from a Star Wars model kit, if memory serves, perhaps from the Darth Vader TIE Fighter.

6. lunde

lunde New Member

Here are some better photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lunde

lunde New Member

Four more photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

If you did this at 15 I would like to see what your doing now, awesome stuff can I borrow that $20? Lol.

9. lunde

lunde New Member

Of course, the $20 bill was included in one of the photos for scale.

10. lunde

lunde New Member

Some memory is coming back in terms of where some of the parts came from. A few panel-like parts came from the interior of an original Flying Sub model kit. I also used some parts from a V8 engine model kit. I also built an accompanying spaceship of the same basic size, but sadly it did not survive. While this one (the Exlar M-70) was a freighter-style spaceship, the other one was more of an attack-style one. I drew, from memory, a side and top schematic of the ship a few years ago. I will try to dig it up.

11. lunde

lunde New Member

I found the schematics of the attack-style spaceship that didn't survive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Great work, I like it.

The Vader TIE stand was a clear dome. This one looks like the Cylon Raider stand.

13. lunde

lunde New Member

Thanks, Rob, for jogging my memory. I did have a Cylon Raider kit, so it makes sense that I used the stand.

14. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think I can see parts from a B-29 in there :lol

One of those twin "below the belly" gun pods and those distinct WW II bomber wheels bring back a lot of memories...

15. lunde

lunde New Member

Hmm. I don't recall ever buying a B-29 model kit. I should have kept notes…

16. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Sr Member

Pretty hardcore build for a fifteen yr old! Very nice! Love to see some of the stuff you do now.:thumbsup

17. yuumi2891103

yuumi2891103 Sr Member

This is the great build. Even for now, I can feel the enthusiasm for what you have built.
    Thanks for sharing.

18. lunde

lunde New Member

This certainly brings back a lot of memories. I would buy 1/8th or 1/16th inch sheet styrene plastic for building these models. I would even make my own glue, by using thinner to melt leftover plastic struts.