According to the inscriptions on the inside of the battery compartment, I started working on this on 09/14/1980, and finished on 01/29/1981. I did the lighting and electrical system on my own. There are two red reactor lights, visible from the front, and a white engine light, visible from the rear. It once had a fairly large cannon on the right of the cockpit, which somehow managed to get lost. Given that it is over 30 years since I made it, it is in surprisingly good shape. The electrical system still works, as evidenced by these crappy cell phone photos.
I'll try to take some better photos today using my Nikon D300.
In terms of identifying kit parts, I was heavily into Tamiya tank models at the time. The main piece that is visible on the top-rear in the fourth photo is the stand from a Star Wars model kit, if memory serves, perhaps from the Darth Vader TIE Fighter.
Some memory is coming back in terms of where some of the parts came from. A few panel-like parts came from the interior of an original Flying Sub model kit. I also used some parts from a V8 engine model kit. I also built an accompanying spaceship of the same basic size, but sadly it did not survive. While this one (the Exlar M-70) was a freighter-style spaceship, the other one was more of an attack-style one. I drew, from memory, a side and top schematic of the ship a few years ago. I will try to dig it up.
This certainly brings back a lot of memories. I would buy 1/8th or 1/16th inch sheet styrene plastic for building these models. I would even make my own glue, by using thinner to melt leftover plastic struts.