Scratch Built New Hope DL44

Francois1244

I’ll start off by apologising for the bad quality of the W.I.P photos and if I’m breaching any forum rules. I’m new here and this is my first post so I’m trying my best.

A few years ago I started a scratch build DL44 project out of MDF and styrene and I never under up posting it anywhere despite taking W.I.P photos with the intention of eventually posting on here.

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

I started with an MDF base and added layers at a time until I was happy with the result. I took apart an old camera tripod to use as a barrel, as I was 14 at the time and it was the cheapest way to make it work.

IMG_1886.jpg

I started layering on styrene and filling and sanding using scale model seam filler. The front ribbed part was made from alternating layers of styrene cut into the right sizes.

IMG_1885.jpg

About 2 weeks in it finally starting looking like the rough shape of a DL44. I used lots of superglue and by this time I got my hands on some PVC which I shaped into the scope mount.

IMG_1884.jpg

The flash hider was made from PVC I hand filed, and the tip was made from multiple layers of paper soaked in fibreglass resin. I found a template online to help me drill all the necessary holes.

image-2020-05-25-16:31:22-774.jpg

After painting with a silver spray paint, I then used black oil paint to gradually darken the surface until I was happy with the result. I also eventually added weathering using a silver paint pen.

image-2020-05-25-16:33:28-123.jpg

image-2020-05-25-16:34:03-312.jpg

I then build an MDF stand inspired by the Master Replicas version. I wish I had taken more photos during the building process to show some other details.

image-2020-05-25-16:35:55-023.jpg

I created details from whatever junk I could find in order to keep costs down. These front sight details were made from a cut down nail pressed through the nozzle of an empty super glue tube, topped off with a bb cut in half to round the end over.

image-2020-05-25-16:38:23-388.jpg

I made sure the include the flat bottom barrel as Inspired by the Tested video on the DL44 build.
All in all I spend less than $20 on materials and although it is by no means perfect, I couldn’t be happier with the results.

image-2020-05-25-16:40:21-952.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back