Scratch built firefly Mals pistol????

SLUDDSYPIE

Okay, so I'm a massive fan of the firefly series and serenity film, I'm also fairly good with my hands especially working with reference and some sort of base (so I'm thinking revolver or pistol that suits the shape of Mals pistol). My question is, has anyone ever tried to build the pistol from scratch and has anyone ever identified what parts are from where? Ive had a quick look on the forum but couldn't turn anything up. perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place? any help, advice or debate is welcomed!! TIA.

yeah i used bills templates and here is mine before sanding and painting.
20170405_093106.jpg20170405_093047.jpg20170405_093019.jpg

I've watched bills video and the templates are definitely a good place to start, has anyone managed to get the mag to be removable or the trigger and hammer to move individually or connect? for the mag I'm thinking possibly use layers to make an aperture and then use a magnet to hold it in, but other than take a cap gun apart and try to upscale the internals has anyone figured out a good way to make the trigger move?

- - - Updated - - -

I was aware that it was based on a taurus but I hadn't seen it without the side panel on! the only issue is that with living in the uk its hard/ expensive to get a hold of a drcrnt taurus base (I havent got the money to chop up an airsoft gun yet) like a originally wanted to.

Looks good man! I'm hoping to do the same if I can figure out the mag, trigger and hammer but hoping to do certain pieces like the barrel in metal.

that was a pretty great tutorial :)
I've been wanting to do one of these for a really long time, even found a dollar store toy that was a pretty close shape to use as a starter, never got around to workin on it. I gotta be honest I kinda like the idea of building one from scratch better

Last edited:
so do I, I appreciate the idea of the kits but the satisfaction of doing one from, scratch would be immense, its just the accuracy that may suffer.

- - - Updated - - -

That gun is mint! and I'm probably going to steal that mechanism if that's okay with you?

so do I, I appreciate the idea of the kits but the satisfaction of doing one from, scratch would be immense, its just the accuracy that may suffer.

- - - Updated - - -

That gun is mint! and I'm probably going to steal that mechanism if that's okay with you?
By all means! Glad to help a fellow Brit

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thank You for sharing your Hellboy Pistol Thread!!! I have been looking for a diagram of a simple single-action trigger pull "forever" and your picture was a just what I needed!!!

For the removable magazine magnets would definitely be the way to go i think. (Coming from someone who has tried to do more complex mechanisms)

For the trigger and hammer have a look at this build I did a while back.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=242135

Thank You for sharing your Hellboy Pistol Thread!!! I have been looking for a diagram of a simple single-action trigger pull "forever" and your picture was a just what I needed!!!
A few people have asked about this recently and there seems to be a bit of a move towards props with moving parts.
I could put together a video going into more detail about all the moving parts and how i made it. I made it to be fully dismantlable.

I purchased a few of those "real" Triggers and Hammers for the 38 pistol a while back (when I first saw your thread below ) and they are still sitting in the parts drawer. Looking once again I'm thinking of incorporating such into my stash of unfinished Mal Pistols. Mine you one of those Triggers would fit perfectly (with a little work) into a Battlestar S-01 Blaster kit I have in the stash as well.

Here is the QMX mal gun I did a awhile back. Maybe it'll give you some ideas.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=146591

Hello fellow travelers. I've been tinkering with a (tv version) Mal pistol. Not sure how to put the link in this post but if you go to "Malcolm Reynolds Firefly Pistol" on YouTube, view "Bill"

I'd love to hear what you think and for anyone with questions, send me a wave!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back