Scratch built “Jakob” robot, from Amazon series “Tales from the Loop”

Moska

Sr Member
Hello fellow modelers.

I present my current project. It's the Jakob robot, from the Amazon series “Tales from the loop”.

I started this project in April 2020 and, after almost a year designing and building all the parts, this is the current state of the model.
The model has more than 80 points of articulation. A nightmare!. And it's possible that I decide to override some of them because they really complicate the stability of the model.

I will be publishing more information about the construction process followed so far and the steps that are still missing to complete it. I hope you like this little bobblehead.

jakob-robot-moska-001.jpg
jakob-robot-moska-002.jpg
jakob-robot-moska-003.jpg

When I started this project, I tried to get information that would make my work easier. But I got nothing. This model is designed and built based solely on images from the series and on some photographs and a small video that I found on the net. It would have been very useful to get some blueprints, but it was not possible. So I'm sure my model is not as accurate as I would have liked to get. I have to settle for that.

I have already finished all the necessary parts to complete the robot. Last weekend I was making small adjustments and finishes, and I have already washed all the pieces to start the paint job. I will use black primer for the metal parts and white primer for the head. There are parts that I have to paint before doing the final assembly, so now I have to work calmly and avoid hasty decisions.

For those who have not seen the series, I include some images of the real robot.

Thanks for watching.

Rafa.

jakob-robot-moska-004.jpgjakob-robot-moska-005.jpgjakob-robot-moska-006.jpgjakob-robot-moska-007.jpgjakob-robot-moska-008.jpgjakob-robot-moska-009.jpgjakob-robot-moska-010.jpgjakob-robot-moska-011.jpgjakob-robot-moska-012.jpg

Wow! That is just gorgeous work! I really liked the show, it's very slow paced and cerebral, but I enjoy that kind of sci-fi if it's well done (and Tales was very well done IMO). I can't wait to see him painted.

Wow! That is just gorgeous work! I really liked the show, it's very slow paced and cerebral, but I enjoy that kind of sci-fi if it's well done (and Tales was very well done IMO). I can't wait to see him painted.
Hi JNordgren42.

Thank you very much for your comment. I also really liked the series. I like any type of Sci-Fi if it is well thought out and well done. Not everything has to be space operas, right?
The robot caught my eye because of its appearance, half 1960s van, half washing machine or something. Also, the robot does not speak, it does not make any sound, it has no arms, no tools, and no weapons. It is absolutely useless. What more reasons do you need to fall in love with such a thing? :love:

Take care.
Rafa

Hi JNordgren42.

Thank you very much for your comment. I also really liked the series. I like any type of Sci-Fi if it is well thought out and well done. Not everything has to be space operas, right?
The robot caught my eye because of its appearance, half 1960s van, half washing machine or something. Also, the robot does not speak, it does not make any sound, it has no arms, no tools, and no weapons. It is absolutely useless. What more reasons do you need to fall in love with such a thing? :love:

Take care.
Rafa
Yep. And he still kicked ass when it mattered. I love the design language of this show so much, it's a really fresh take on retro-futurism.

Quite impressive!

I have not watched the show yet but I did stick it on my watch list so I was able to recognize what your were building

I'll definitely have to give it a watch

Wow! It must be cool to work on making a real prop and then see it on screen. :love:
I have to admit it is pretty cool to see your work on screen. I wish I had pictures to help with your build but you have more than me and one I hadn't seen before. Looking forward to your paint job. Again great work on this!

It is absolutely useless. What more reasons do you need to fall in love with such a thing? :love:
You've been talking to my wife. :)

Very nice work. It looks so well made and the effort really shows!
Looking forward to seeing more of this.

One of my favorite shows. The atmosphere and aesthetics are beautiful, not to mention the soundtrack.

I'll definitely have to give it a watch
Hi Analycer.

The robot is not a main character. In fact, there are no main characters in this series.

The plot of the series is that, under a small town, there is a buried thing that they call the Loop. This Loop causes very strange things and, in each chapter a different story is developed in which the characters react to those strange situations.

It is a series with a very slow pace that creates a peculiar atmosphere. My wife says that it is a depressing series, but it seems to me of a beautiful sadness.

The robot makes small appearances in some chapters and it is in the last one that it plays a more important role.

I hope you like the series as much as I do.
Rafa

One of my favorite shows. The atmosphere and aesthetics are beautiful, not to mention the soundtrack.
Hi HMR.
Thanks for your comment.
I'm glad you mention the soundtrack because thanks to it I knew about the existence of this series.
I have been following the work of Philip Glass for quite a few years and one day I found out that he had composed something for a series called "Tales from the Loop". I immediately looked for information and what I found was interesting to me and I decided to see that series.
So, you see. It was the music of Philip Glass and Paul Leonard-Morgan that led me to discover this beautiful series.

Greetings.
Rafa

Wow! Impressive work here. Not familiar with the show so now I'm going to have to look it up. From what I have read here it looks like a lot of fun. Cool looking model of the robot!

Wow! You're doing a great job on that robot!

I lost interest in the stories from the series, but I did love the design of that robot. It has such a sad-sack face with the big "ears" it has a certain dopey-ness to it that I liked. I really like robots with character.

I love this movie so I really wanted a Jacob figure. So I searched the internet for the model. I couldn't find the model, but I found your site. This is a really great project. Nobu from Japan.

I love this movie so I really wanted a Jacob figure. So I searched the internet for the model. I couldn't find the model, but I found your site. This is a really great project. Nobu from Japan.
Hi Nobu. Unfortunately, I don't think any model kit or merchandise of this series will be released. The truth is that the series has not achieved great success and has not had a large audience. There are many people who don't even know its existence.
But I'm excited to think that mine could probably be the only model of the Jakob robot that exists in the world. :unsure: :p

Thanks for watching.
Rafa

Hi friends.

I have been very busy with my work, but I have also continued to advance my model.
I have now finished the cloth covers that will cover the legs of the robot. I really like the look I have achieved on the legs, but the original model has them covered. So there is no other option.
I had never sewn (some shirt button and little else), so I had to look for a tutorial on Youtube "How to sew by hand". It turned out to be very simple, although very laborious. But I finally managed to make all four covers without major problem.
The yellow bands are glued onto the blue fabric. To get a good adhesion I used 3M-Scotch brand double sided tape. I first applied acetone to the yellow fabric with a wide brush, and before it dried, I glued a wide strip of the adhesive and pressed it hard so that the adhesive material went deep into the fabric. Before removing the protective paper from the adhesive tape, I cut the yellow strips to their final size and, finally, I also moistened the blue fabric with acetone and glued the yellow strips, pressing hard again to get them to stick together as tightly as possible.

jakob-robot-moska-014.jpgjakob-robot-moska-015.jpgjakob-robot-moska-016.jpg

With the fabric covers finished I already had all the pieces and elements to complete my model, so it was time to start the painting process.
Except for the head, the cloth covers and some other details, the entire robot is metallic with a steel look. I chose to use AK Interactive brand Xtreme Metal Steel paint. It is a paint that, if you previously apply a good gloss black primer, provides a very fine and realistic finish that looks like real metal.
The pieces are already painted in steel and I do not want to give it a protective layer of varnish because varnish always worsens the metallic appearance of the paint a bit. So I'm currently testing to see how I can apply volume and aging effects without messing up the metallic paint.
I have found that enamel thinners will damage this metallic paint, but alcohol can be used without problems.
I have also found that Marabu brand spray varnish (one of my all-time favorites) also damages this metallic paint.
From all the tests I have done, I think I will use two different techniques, depending on the area and the characteristics of the pieces.
The first is to use Tamiya black acrylic paint very diluted in alcohol to wash the pieces with smaller reliefs. Once the wash is dry, I remove the excess with a cloth soaked in alcohol. The piece is clean and the black paint only remains in the deepest corners.
The second technique is to use graphite powder and apply it with an old brush from which I cut the bristles very, very short. In this way I can darken the areas that I consider appropriate in a very controlled way.
In my next post I will try to attach photographs that clearly show the result of these effects.

jakob-robot-moska-017.jpgjakob-robot-moska-018.jpg

Until next time and thanks for watching my thread.
Rafa

Wow! Impressive work here. Not familiar with the show so now I'm going to have to look it up. From what I have read here it looks like a lot of fun. Cool looking model of the robot!
I really don't think "fun" is a word anyone would use to describe this show. It's a great show, but it is not fun.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back