Scotland MCM Comic Con 2015 (SEP)

wetcelery

Might be a little early but I thought I'd make a thread for this, seeing as there isn't one as of yet?

Any Scottish RPF members heading along?

I've not bought my ticket yet but most likely will get a weekend as my younger brother has already and he probably needs transport to get there, ha.

It's at Braehead. It was formally Collectormania Glasgow, but I'm guessing the name "comic con" gives it more streed cred, these days.

I never went last year as I felt it had been going downhill a bit, but I may go through this year. Would like to meet Billy Dee and Gareth David Lloyd. Despite him being a convention circuit regular, I've never met Jeremy Bulloch. Braehead is ideal too since the girlfriend can go shopping whilst I get my geek on.

EDIT: Link for more info...

What are the details my friend? Im guessing it is at the SECC?

Yes, this is the one on the 26th/27th September. I think this is its second or third year? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it's only been recent that it's started taking place in Glasgow.

It's at Braehead. It was formally Collectormania Glasgow, but I'm guessing the name "comic con" gives it more streed cred, these days.

I never went last year as I felt it had been going downhill a bit, but I may go through this year. Would like to meet Billy Dee and Gareth David Lloyd. Despite him being a convention circuit regular, I've never met Jeremy Bulloch. Braehead is ideal too since the girlfriend can go shopping whilst I get my geek on.

EDIT: Link for more info...

Collectormania is still a convention on its own, running at the end of August. Think there has been some confusion between the two as Collectormania hasn't been receiving as much publicity as the Comic Con recently. I thought it wasn't even happening this year until they released the dates a week ago!

I've never been to either but I think I might head along to both? Would you recommend Collectormania, Guff?

Yes, this is the one on the 26th/27th September. I think this is its second or third year? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it's only been recent that it's started taking place in Glasgow.

Collectormania is still a convention on its own, running at the end of August. Think there has been some confusion between the two as Collectormania hasn't been receiving as much publicity as the Comic Con recently. I thought it wasn't even happening this year until they released the dates a week ago!

I've never been to either but I think I might head along to both? Would you recommend Collectormania, Guff?

Ah - serves me right for not paying attention. Yes, Collectormania seems to have changed their name to "Film and Comic Con Glasgow" which isn't helping to distinguish them from "MCM Scotland Film and Comic Con"

Collectormania (as it was) isn't too bad - bearing in mind that it was all we had up here for a long time. The Braehead arena is probably about the size of a skating rink (which I believe it has been used as before). You have guests along the outskirts of the arena and a couple of rows of dealers in the centre. There's a seating area for guest talks which are a good laugh. The level of guests was never as good as what you could get going further south, but there was usually a Doctor and a few companions (there always does seem to be an emphasis on Doctor Who but every now and again you get a 'biggie' from another franchise.

It used to be a fiver to get in, but you would get an autograph with a pre-selected guest with it. I've had autos from Paul Darrow and John Leeson this way. Last time I went though there wasn't a free autograph and I believe it was the same last year. It tends to be much quieter than the cons down south so there's plenty of opportunity to chat with guests. I've not been to any of the 'new' MCM ones in Glasgow, but at least parking is a lot easier/cheaper at Braehead and there are shops to keep the family busy if they are "not-we's". The 501st tend to be around 'harassing' shoppers which is always good fun.

For me, whether I go or not each year depends entirely on the guest list. This year, Billy Dee definitely makes it worth the drive for me!

Ah - serves me right for not paying attention. Yes, Collectormania seems to have changed their name to "Film and Comic Con Glasgow" which isn't helping to distinguish them from "MCM Scotland Film and Comic Con"

Collectormania (as it was) isn't too bad - bearing in mind that it was all we had up here for a long time. The Braehead arena is probably about the size of a skating rink (which I believe it has been used as before). You have guests along the outskirts of the arena and a couple of rows of dealers in the centre. There's a seating area for guest talks which are a good laugh. The level of guests was never as good as what you could get going further south, but there was usually a Doctor and a few companions (there always does seem to be an emphasis on Doctor Who but every now and again you get a 'biggie' from another franchise.

It used to be a fiver to get in, but you would get an autograph with a pre-selected guest with it. I've had autos from Paul Darrow and John Leeson this way. Last time I went though there wasn't a free autograph and I believe it was the same last year. It tends to be much quieter than the cons down south so there's plenty of opportunity to chat with guests. I've not been to any of the 'new' MCM ones in Glasgow, but at least parking is a lot easier/cheaper at Braehead and there are shops to keep the family busy if they are "not-we's". The 501st tend to be around 'harassing' shoppers which is always good fun.

For me, whether I go or not each year depends entirely on the guest list. This year, Billy Dee definitely makes it worth the drive for me!

Yeah, Google the words "film comic con glasgow" and you'll probably get the other result you're not looking for!

I don't understand why it's so low-key in comparison because to be honest, I don't think Glasgow's a small city nor an unknown one. We have quite a fair number of international events (particularly arts and culture related) and sometime's I feel there's more happening here than there is in Edinburgh so it seems odd to me that we don't get 'big names' coming to visit... And it's a pity that it's only been recent that Scotland has started to have more conventions but I guess better late than never.

Speaking of Doctor Who, I also remember always looking at the guest list and thinking 'Oh, Doctor Who cast members... again.' However, I have to admit, other than Michael Biehn that's tempting me to buy a ticket this year, Camille Coduri seals the deal for me! :lol

With them both companies now using very similar names this may get confusing as the shows are very different and you could be very disappointed if you went to one of them thinking it would be the same as a show you had already been to.

Showmastes do Collectormania which now looks to have all changed to Film and Comic Con to match in with LFCC.

MCM do MCM Comic con and the Memorbilia show, but this is quickly being killed off and taken over by the comic con brand.

Two very different companies and very different quality to their shows.

Hi

went to "MCM" 2 years back as couldn't stay the two days last year but its definitely worth getting the early access tickets to prevent being stuck in a 5 hour cue!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back