(Scorpion costume from Mortal Kombat) How do I paint a pair of plastic leg guards?

Devil Master

I want to make a Scorpion costume, based on the look he had in Mortal Kombat 2. I decided not to go for the exact same look, because looking for the exact same parts Midway used for the original costume would be way too time consuming. Instead, I'm going for parts that look reasonably close and still cool, while being easy to find.

I bought a pair of "Scorpion Double Knee LG" leg guards, made by Schutt, sold on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D91N5N5
I chose the orange version because it's the closest they have to yellow. Right now they look like this. The plastic surface is very smooth.
Now I want to actually paint them yellow. What kind of paint do I need? How do I proceed?

I want to make a Scorpion costume, based on the look he had in Mortal Kombat 2. I decided not to go for the exact same look, because looking for the exact same parts Midway used for the original costume would be way too time consuming. Instead, I'm going for parts that look reasonably close and still cool, while being easy to find.

I bought a pair of "Scorpion Double Knee LG" leg guards, made by Schutt, sold on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D91N5N5
I chose the orange version because it's the closest they have to yellow. Right now they look like this. The plastic surface is very smooth.
Now I want to actually paint them yellow. What kind of paint do I need? How do I proceed?
Primer and the rattle can of your choice then some kind of sealer.

Do I have to sand the surface before applying the primer?
What do I put in the holes to avoid painting the padding underneath? Wadded up toilet paper? I cannot remove the padding because it's riveted to the plastic.
And what's sealer?

Last edited:
Do I have to sand the surface before applying the primer?
What do I put in the holes to avoid painting the padding underneath? Wadded up toilet paper? I cannot remove the padding because it's riveted to the plastic.
And what's sealer?
you will need to key the surface so the paint can adhere. i'd use a primer first to seal the plastic, then the base yellow. a sealer will help protect the plastic from the paint.
you can mask the holes with what ever will work, masking tape and paper are fine.

Just to let you know, the mask and leg guards that they used for the game really aren’t that difficult to find. The mask is a Scott paintball mask (the green one) and the leg guards are Rawlings 76DC catcher leg guards. You can find both on eBay from time to time.

Attachments

• E3872559-F78D-40D3-A57F-17DB93A8E6C0.jpeg
    E3872559-F78D-40D3-A57F-17DB93A8E6C0.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 96
  • DF644131-C366-49E0-820A-EC2CEA9FAA33.jpeg
    DF644131-C366-49E0-820A-EC2CEA9FAA33.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 89

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back