Sci-Fi modeling on Elegoo Mars -- Community support/tips

Interesting technology. I'm surprised the inventors went this way with the unpredictable nature of how liquids and solids moves in a rotating container, but i understand why. Perhaps they will invent something that encapsulates the container of resin and hits it at all required angles at once. This would eliminate the need for rotation.

TazMan2000

I was super satisfied with the original Photon. Pre-ordered my Photon Mono X a while ago and can't wait for it to arrive!

Ok...wow... This is, by far, the best resin I've used... Although I have only used Elegoo's Grey and Black prior to this, I can say with confidence that Siraya Fast is amazing!

It dramatically reduces print times and my first print came out flawless!

This was printed with the above mentioned resin from Siraya:

20201004_103720.jpg
20201004_103757.jpg
20201004_103803.jpg

It took about 3.5 hours to print which was around an hour faster than with the other resins I've used.

1/72... I scaled it down 6% from the original stl files.

I wasn't sure, I knew it looked smaller than I remember unless you have huge hands :lol:

I didn't think 6% would make much of a difference but I guess it does, although looking at the one I printed in person now, I guess it yours is not much smaller than I originally though.

It also looks so much better printed that way without the seam running down the middle. I guess sizing it down let that part fit the plate better instead of going with the halves

I wasn't sure, I knew it looked smaller than I remember unless you have huge hands :lol:

I didn't think 6% would make much of a difference but I guess it does, although looking at the one I printed in person now, I guess it yours is not much smaller than I originally though.

It also looks so much better printed that way without the seam running down the middle. I guess sizing it down let that part fit the plate better instead of going with the halves
Yes, but it was a pain to cut the supports inside...lol... the center and rear hull were too large for my print bed to get in one piece... I'll have to upgrade to the Elegoo Saturn for that...lol...

Anyone else using Elegoo's water washable resin? It is all I have used, sincw taking my Mars out of the box. The whole process has been a bit of a learning curve.... But after about 400ml, I got repeatable results.

I have been curious about that. In many ways I find the Isoprophyl alcohol worse smelling than the resin, and those fumes are probably just as bad if not worse than the resin

You can also use mr clean to wash your print. Several people use it on the french elegoo group on facebook.

It smell good and bonus point don't have nasty fumes.
Personaly I'll stick with acetone (5 to 10 sec wash and everything is clean).

13605196_L.jpg

Anyone else using Elegoo's water washable resin? It is all I have used, sincw taking my Mars out of the box. The whole process has been a bit of a learning curve.... But after about 400ml, I got repeatable results.
i too have been using the water washable resin for my entire life of the printer... i use an old toothbrush to scrub the parts, in a tupperware full of water, and then wipe them down with a paper towel before moving them to the UV curing station. (and yeah, the shovel blade is warped - too thin)
20201007_203544.jpg
20201007_080034.jpg

Broke out the Mars and started printing today... I printed the mandatory Rooks with no issue at all - it was very simple really.

Now I'm attempting to use chitubox to add supports and slice my first real model. its from "Studio Kitbash" of his first scanned part. its actually too large for the Mars to print, but I'm just doing it as a test to see how it looks form the scanner, and if his models are really printable from the scanner. Tomorrow I think I'll try to figure out the FDM printer and see if I can start dialing in the settings on that one. The Mars was pretty simple to figure out - not that I'm claiming any real expertise at this point... but getting started was 1/2 a day of fiddling around.

Jedi Dade
Almost everything he is offering is available already in the open market. There are some that are not but I have thousands of greeblies. Only ones I need are the 1/12 cars. But scanning in everything like he has been is pointless as it’s out there and water proof

I've never used anything other than the water washable resin - I just don't have the space or the ventilation to be sloshing litres of IPA around. I obviously can't compare it to the normal resin, as I've never used it, but I seem to get good results. The only problem I have now is that I want to print some stuff in clear resin, which doesn't seem to be available in a water-washable version.

P.S. Where did you get the files for the jerry cans? I've been looking for that sort of thing for a non-sci fi model.

I've never used anything other than the water washable resin - I just don't have the space or the ventilation to be sloshing litres of IPA around. I obviously can't compare it to the normal resin, as I've never used it, but I seem to get good results. The only problem I have now is that I want to print some stuff in clear resin, which doesn't seem to be available in a water-washable version.

P.S. Where did you get the files for the jerry cans? I've been looking for that sort of thing for a non-sci fi model.
i got it off thingiverse: Jerrycan 1/10 scale by lixtap21

Just about finished by 44" Eagle from Space:1999. I'm waiting on a little more paint for last bit of cockpit, but pretty much finished.
Printed on Mars with Siraya Tech blu.
Uses Brass rods to support frame.
It weighs a LOT!

Files from CGtrader. I modified a bit in blender, and used a cockpit from a different model.
Sliced with Prusa to fit onto build plate.
Leg pods were about 9 pieces in the end. I discovered about half way through gluing using resin and UV light.
Definitely recommend this way of bonding and joining.

122183616_10157207730776431_2290592719390137814_o.jpg

122486027_10157207730911431_664997492524613186_o.jpg
122337508_10157207730826431_305313337361354489_o.jpg
20200908_151515478_iOS.jpg
20200908_151448484_iOS.jpg
20200524_073013000_iOS.jpg
20200524_072733000_iOS.jpg
20200908_151551320_iOS.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back