Sci-Fi modeling on Elegoo Mars -- Community support/tips

basementdweller
I agree with everything you said.

I think its really nice that people make objects and offer them for free on Thingiverse and other sites. Even though some artists may have stipulations that their work can't be used for commercial purposes, this won't dissuade any thief. You almost have to expect it when you offer something for free, and even if you are selling, for that matter.

Some have mentioned to put in some sort of "3D watermark" that would be difficult for a thief to remove. but some designs would make it extremely easy to remove or modify. You have to rely on friends and strangers to police your work...and just like you said, if you find a thief and report him, he just sets up shop with another name a few days later.

TazMan2000

Looking for some resin recommendations

I started with Anycubic Grey. Got pretty consistent results.

Picked up a bottle of Anycubic translucent green. Not one successful print. Would not even print the R_E_R_F file or whatever it was that is supposed to test exposures. Closest I got was on one print, I had a very thin layer of the platform stuck on the FEP and a layer or on the plate

I tried increasing bottom layers from 6 to 8 and increase exposure from 8 to 10 despite the translucent green supposedly being faster than the grey

I had some grey left over, but not enough to fill the vat, so I mixed in a little of the Anycubic Green, and without changing anything (including not releveling the plate) I got successful prints. Again, it was mostly grey with a it of the green. There were a few areas that had some problems, but for the most part I think they were either support problems or to thin walls on hollow models. Most of the things on the build plate came out fine

I do not know if I may have gotten a bad batch of resin, but at any rate, I think I would rather look for more dependable stuff

Like I mentioned,the grey was nice, but the smell is a bit strong and I would like to give some other kinds a shot

Has anyone tried the Siraya Tech Fast?

How about the Elegoo resins?

Any downside to water washsable vs regular?

Any other brands worth considering?

I've had great results with Elegoo Rapid Grey and their Black resin. They do require different print settings for exposure times and layer thickness. The only failures I get are my own fault when I mess a required support strut.

I wonder if the "green" is interfering with the reaction between the UV light and the liquid resin.
Would the clear have the same issue ?. Thinking logically, clear might enhance the curing process and
might be a better choice, painting with transparent colours after the fact. ????????????????????????????
The experienced UV resin Guys/Gals would know better or for sure.

All the resins are translucent. Even the black resin, while appearing similar to a dark mass, is translucent, especially if it is only 0.05 mm or less thick.
The darker or less translucent resins will probably require a bit more curing time.

I've heard of some guy using Rain-X on the FEP. Seems like a great idea, since I've used the stuff on my windshield and it works great, but can leave a film. Also, I'm not sure how the windshield stuff works on plastic. Mind you, Rain-X makes stuff for plastic windshields and visors as well.

TazMan2000

In my experience the only times a piece would stick to the FEP is when there where not enough supports. With these printers, there is a lot of force being applied to the model when lifting off the FEP. The FEP is fairly durable. My current one has scuffs and is slightly hazey, but my pri ts still turn out great.

In this case it was only the very first few layers of the base, and it was split between the build plate and FEP

3 other prints failed with nothing stuck to either the FEP or build plate

Went back to the grey without changing a thing other than having to top off the tray with a bit of the green. Got prints. Resin was a light greenish grey as it was over 3/4 grey resin. AS the vat got low, I had to mix in more green. Now nothing except the base layers sticking to the FEP.

I am guessing it is either a bad batch of resin, or I do not have the right settings for the resin. Since this is the resin the the printer comes with it should work with the default settings. Being mostly clear/transparent like green tinted glass, it is supposed to have quicker exposure time than the more opaque grey resin

I guess I could try knocking the exposure back to 6 second but that seems really low. I have already tried 8, 10 and 12

I've seen those settings before and those are what I had actually started with for the Anycubic Grey whcih worked almost everytime unless I screwed up a support. I've ordered another bottle of grey. We'll see what happens then. I suspect (or at least hope) it works just like the first bottle I had

With the green it is behaving much like the grey did when I had to change the FEP because it had gotten cloudy. except in this case the FEP is not cloudy

I just figured now is a good time to branch out and give some others a try as well

Last edited:
I've seen those settings before and those are what I had actually started with for the Anycubic Grey whcih worked almost everytime unless I screwed up a support. I've ordered another bottle of grey. We'll see what happens then. I suspect (or at least hope) it works just like the first bottle I had

With the green it is behaving much like the grey did when I had to change the FEP because it had gotten cloudy. except in this case the FEP is not cloudy

I just figured now is a goo time to branch out and give some others a try as well

Yeah, sounds like a bad batch then. You should contact where you purchased it and see if they'll refund you.

I don't know if anyone else has replaced the 2k lcd screen yet, but they're only $30 on Amazon and it literally took me five minutes to replace. My prints are coming out even better now.

I had purchased mine used, so there were spots on the screen under the glass causing holes in prints. Just wanted to share my experience!

I don't know if anyone else has replaced the 2k lcd screen yet, but they're only $30 on Amazon and it literally took me five minutes to replace. My prints are coming out even better now.

I had purchased mine used, so there were spots on the screen under the glass causing holes in prints. Just wanted to share my experience!

Great upgrade! The basic mars is still up there. With the proper tweaking it can do a lot better than a lot of resin printers out on the market.

Did you need to do anything in the SW to take advantage of the higher resolution screen?

Jedi Dade

Did you need to do anything in the SW to take advantage of the higher resolution screen?

Jedi Dade

The Elegoo Mars comes with a 2k lcd screen. This was just a drop in replacement. Not the touch screen, but the screen the UV light shoots through. The Elegoo Saturn has the 4k screen and much larger print area.

Speaking of screens - Phrozen has just done a Phrozen Mini 4K version. Higher resolution, at the same size screen. No bigger prints, but much finer detail. There are at least 2 reviews out with comparisons of the same minis printed on youtube. It's currently priced at just under $300 I believe. I was not expecting this so soon. I am guessing the next big thing is 8K screens with a larger build size to compete with the "Saturn size" machines. It's moving faster and cheaper than I thought was possible. Exciting times.

Speaking of screens - Phrozen has just done a Phrozen Mini 4K version. Higher resolution, at the same size screen. No bigger prints, but much finer detail. There are at least 2 reviews out with comparisons of the same minis printed on youtube. It's currently priced at just under $300 I believe. I was not expecting this so soon. I am guessing the next big thing is 8K screens with a larger build size to compete with the "Saturn size" machines. It's moving faster and cheaper than I thought was possible. Exciting times.

Perfect for my 1/350 figure work! Lol

Things are moving fast

Anycubic has also release a new version of the Photon Mono SE and the Mono x

supposedly print time is 3x faster than with the Photon S in addition to other improvements to 4K screen and resolution

the Mono X is also a much larger build plate while the SE is pretty similar to the current Photon S

5_Fast_Printing_Speed.jpg

Anycubic has also release a new version of the Photon Mono SE and the Mono x supposedly print time is 3x faster than with the Photon S

That's the mono screen's doing. Phrozen has been doing that for a while and now everyone is following suite. The actual exposure time is like 5 to 10x less as compared to non-mono screens as old gen elegoo and anycubic etc. However there is the physical limitation of the bed moving up and down and allowing the resin to flood in etc. while balancing the vacuum and stretching forces of the FEP film. With this type of solution you can't go faster (in total print time) than 2x to 3x because of material limitations (as of yet).

Disney has a patent and some other guys where workin on solutions of exposing a whole volume of resin at once. That will be interesting. Also the awesome Adrian Bowyer (who basically fathered 3d printing) is working on an open source approach to this as well. Check it out.
This is an older interveiw and I'm sure I caught some guy making a working prototype based on this approach (thin it was reddit), but the vat had the resin being spun inside. I can't find it for the life of me, but I very much doubt I dreamt it. The resin had a green tint iirc and there was a video showing the process. So it's happening at some point. Did I mention it's OPEN SOURCE! Love this guy.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back