Scarlet Spider

ben reilly

I put this costume together in a hurry for colorado's Starfest. I have a very limited budget so i had to find parts that would work instead of making it all myself but here it is.

I started with a cheap all red spiderman suit from an online zentai store

Photo on 3-14-12 at 11.23 PM #3.jpg

Next i started looking for a blue hoodie, i found one at a thrift shop and cut off the arms to realize that it was too dark of navy and far too large on me to look good. So I found a blue spandex fabric long sleeve that i attached the inside liner of the hood from the first hoodie to sew on to the new one. After the hood was attached i cut off the sleeves and later trimmed them to look more ripped. Later i Used black fabric paint and made a stencil of the sam ramie spiderman spider for the spider on the chest.

jacket 0.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

I was also unhappy with the eyes on the costume particularly because my face was visible through the mesh. I found a thicker fabric and sewed on new eyes. I also realize that they are skewed outward but thats just how they fit to cover over the previous eyes.

Photo on 4-13-12 at 3.47 PM #2.jpgPhoto on 4-15-12 at 3.31 PM #2.jpg

The belt buckle, bullet belt, and bullet wristbands that i used for web shooters were all ordered off of ebay. My ankle bags were cell phone cases from a dollar store that i sewed elastic bands to.

Photo on 4-25-12 at 10.11 PM.jpgPhoto on 4-25-12 at 10.11 PM #2.jpgPhoto on 4-25-12 at 10.12 PM.jpg

The last thing i did was attach the soles of water shoes to the bottom of the suit with shoe goo. it was a bit messy but worked out.

Photo on 4-25-12 at 10.13 PM #2.jpg

So here is what it looks like all together

Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 5.05.42 PM.pngspider copy.jpguser24712_pic11959_1332075628.jpg

Last edited:
Hello to anyone who is out there! I made this costume about the same time that I became a member of this website and over the past year I have been learning great techniques and ideas from reading everyones threads. This has inspired me to continue to improve and make modifications to my suit. First I changed the web shooters and made modifications to the mask. I found cheap bullet bracelets online and used two dollar store watches which I painted uniformly silver.

Photo on 4-5-13 at 7.43 PM.jpgPhoto on 4-5-13 at 7.44 PM.jpgPhoto on 4-6-13 at 11.31 AM #4.jpg

The fabric I used for my eyes before had no visibility so as I was looking at the lenses on an ASM suit I thought they looked very similar to pinhole glasses. I found pinhole glasses with the largest lenses I could find on ebay and paid less than $2 for them.

Photo on 4-5-13 at 6.47 PM.jpgPhoto on 4-5-13 at 7.40 PM.jpgPhoto on 4-5-13 at 11.51 PM.jpgPhoto on 4-6-13 at 3.20 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I was still unhappy with the lenses so I trimmed them down and am final satisfied with how they look. I have just finished adding a honeycomb layer to the suit and puff painted it following the way SpiderSparrow did on his ASM suit here http://www.therpf.com/f24/spiderspa...-skateboard-pics-11-1-12-a-157959/index3.html

I am still working on the rest of the suit but here is the finished version of the mask.

IMG_0539.jpgIMG_0557.JPGPhoto on 6-30-13 at 4.54 PM.jpgPhoto on 6-30-13 at 4.54 PM #2.jpgPhoto on 6-30-13 at 4.54 PM #3.jpg

I am considering making new leg pouches but I can't think of anything better than what I already have. Any ideas?

I know that the traditional costume has no webbing on the face nor anywhere else but I have tried to keep this project as cheap as possible which meant I used a red spiderman suit instead of just starting with a red suit and trying to make eye holes myself. My aim for this is to be more of a scarlet spider movie suit anyway similar to the look of this

Spider_Medium_001.jpg

I am not replicating the picture exactly but I am borrowing some of its ideas.
Also I noticed that most people outside of those in the comic world know nothing about this character and at least with the webbed look people know that I am some sort of spiderman.

sorry to bring up an old post. but i found this costume interesting. im looking to do the exact thing as in that last photo. however i will be going without the webbing as scarlet spider traditionally goes without webbing. ive ordered a maroon morphsuit, and a white morph mask. the mask will be used to make the eyes. as for the sweater, il probably find a material that looks as close as i can to that photo and sew it from scratch. i would like to make a "movie style" version of the scarlet spider.

Thats cool man, I'd like to see that when you get it together. I have finally finished this costume in a way that I am satisfied. I don't currently have a Picture of me wearing it but here it is. also I took off the gloves at the wrist and sewed the web shooters to them.
IMG_0731.jpgIMG_0730.JPG

Last edited:
Thats cool man, I'd like to see that when you get it together. I have finally finished this costume in a way that I am satisfied. I don't currently have a Picture of me wearing it but here it is. also I took off the gloves at the wrist and sewed the web shooters to them. View attachment 313575View attachment 313582

That looks great so far! cant wait to see it completed. Id like to know how you did the webs or if the red suit came with that on it. also, where did you find that sweater?.

ive started my build that was talking about a couple posts back but changed some of my plans. Here is the link to my thread http://www.therpf.com/f78/movie-quality-scarlet-spider-210551/ please let me know what you think

The suit came with the web pattern when I bought it but when I added the honeycomb to the suit I also puff painted the lines which turned out in the long run.
IMG_0537.JPGIMG_0553.JPG
In many places I added more webbing to finish parts that looked incomplete. I smoothed the transition on the arms to more closely resemble the new Amazing Spiderman 2 suit, and aded detailed webbing to the shoes and raised the level on my leg where it ends. Previously the boots looked like socks.
IMG_0729.JPGspider copy 2.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back