Scariff Marine Scout Sniper Rifle

ID10T

Sr Member
Wait- I didn’t see any snipers on Scariff...

That’s true. You never see us. But we’re there...

I don’t really have patience for watching paint dry, and since that’s precisely what I was doing today with the Dameron freN blaster, I got to making something else.

I have a replica of the USMC M40A-1. This was never sold to the public. In fact, they are all custom “kit bashes” done by the armorers at Quantico, VA. Look them up if you are into military history.

I went over to the rack to see what junk we have that could suddenly be a sniper blaster. Well, it was decided this would be a long range anti-personnel ion canon (L-RAP IC) so technically not just a long blaster, (it can immobilize small craft at about 1000 meters) and construction has begun. All designs subject to change without notice!

The M40 up through the current -5 variant is a bolt action single shot based on the Remington 700 action. So I decided this would have a bolt too. I turned down a length of schedule 80 PVC (1/2”) to fit inside a length of 3/4” conduit pipe. The regular thin-wall stuff. This is also the barrel. Then I cross-drilled that PVC roughly in the middle for the bolt handle, tapped at 3/8-16, which matches the thread of the four-prong handle I found for the bolt.

I will mill an “L” groove for the bolt to cycle. I may add a spring or something to provide some feedback. Since the chamber needed to be mede a bit fatter, I added a length of copper pipe around the barrel after squaring up the ends on the lathe. Currently some tape around the barrel is keeping it centered. JB Weld will be brought to bear unless I change the design.

The Ion containment and concentration apparatus (I-CCA) at the end of the barrel was next. This is fashioned from an adapter I machined a bit, an inner piece of PVC to keep stuff aligned, and the larger diameter PVC on the outside. I had given this a rather demonic design, that I toned down to the current configuration. The length was dictated by the surplus MOD muzzle cover I saw at the army-navy the other day, and went digging for today. It’s important to keep it protected, as a damaged I-CCA can really ruin your day.

I have an idea for the RF and heat shield for the barrel. Without proper shielding, comms will be down 30 minutes (minimum!) after discharging the weapon, within a 50-meter radius. This situation is considered sub-optimal.

That's about it so far. I have a bunch of related items, such as take off stocks and scopes (although I have a wicked idea for the scope) plus a bipod, on my eBay list. And a sling will be needed, which I may make, since a mix of metal mesh and leather is what I have in mind for the sling...

First mock-up:
3F612557-7120-4FFE-B685-7A5B1F57B39E.jpeg

“bolt” with handle, way too long obviously, but it fits and turns freely.
EB30F5AB-463C-4FAA-86AC-9BF2F3163F07.jpeg

43625863-DD61-4BF0-868F-F490ADEA987C.jpeg

Here is the copper “receiver” in place with the assembled gen-2 I-CCA
E37528BE-49A1-4C64-AC73-FEAC77CCC0DF.jpeg

Gen-1 of the I-CCA could double as a bayonet... But close combat doesn’t really happen. The “screaming eagle”. I cut the point off to make gen-2.
20D65335-9082-454A-B309-4409DA96118C.jpeg

That’s it for today.

I know, I feel like I got nothing done too. But I think it’s one of those builds that will suddenly “pop” in the last few hours... Still lots to do since there is no fire control at all here...

I dug through my junk today and found a NOS M1907 sling and I won an auction for my scope.

I think I will be taking this build in another direction. My original plan was going to cost nearly a grand. You can literally build a real rifle for that money.

I am now thinking a Barret .50 cal Airsoft will make a good base, and the complete weapon costs less than a take-off stock.

With my original plan I still had fire control (trigger assembly) to deal with and parts cost were adding up quickly.

I will still be using my awesome scope idea and I have some new ideas too. Stay tuned!

45F17432-EBD1-4D7C-A66E-3604FEAB6F50.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back