Scarecrow from The Dark Knight

DarthDan95

About one week before San Diego Comic-Con, I was working incredibly hard and nonstop on my pepakura Iron Man Mark VI suit, when I realize that there is absolutely no possible way I will be able to finish it in time for the con :confused After several days of thinking hard for a Plan-B, I decided I would dress up as The Scarecrow, as he appeared in The Dark Knight (I like TDK more than BB). It seemed like a relatively easy choice, but still recognizable.

View attachment 61111

I first went to the fabric store and bought a few yards of Burlap material, some Jute string and a rope.

View attachment 61123

I carefully studied the many reference pictured I had and concluded that the mask is basically 2 large pieces of burlap (A front rectancle shape and a circle on the back). This was the hardest part, trying to sew them together to form a mask, because it kept making a cone shape :angry, but I finally got it right.

View attachment 61115

I then began adding the various stitches and tears that make the mask recognizable and scary. I wanted it to look as accurate as possible, so I made sure to only add stiches where they were meant to be.

View attachment 61116 View attachment 61126 View attachment 61117

To make the mask appear dirtier and to add some depth to it, I lightly spray painted parts of it.

View attachment 61118 View attachment 61119

Finally, Scarecrow's mask is held to his face by a noose. For safety reasons, I did not want to tie an actual noose around my neck :), so I constructed a fake one by wrapping a rope around the mask, and creating a tight cylindar out of rope, that could slide up and down the ends of the rope to tighten them. It worked flawlessly, and looked like a real noose IMO.

View attachment 61125

I found a very, very close looking suit that was quite inexpensive, and had to find a close enough shirt and tie, because it is hard to tell from the pictures what color/pattern they are . I am very pleased with how this came out, especially only after a couple days of work. Here are some pictures of the final costume from the con:

View attachment 61113 View attachment 61112
Scarecrow | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The only problem I have with it is how it sat on my face. The movie version droops quite a bit and clings to his face, but mine held itself up most of the time. I am trying to get the right shape now by wetting it and using other methods. Any ideas?

View attachment 61124 View attachment 61121

Please tell me what you think! Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to capture the build as well as the result. Also, I apologize for the lack of build photos, I wasn't thinking about taking photos as much as I was about just getting it done in time.

-Daniel

Last edited:
so I constructed a fake one by wrapping a rope around the mask, and creating a tight cylindar out of rope, that could slide up and down the ends of the rope to tighten them. It worked flawlessly, and looked like a real noose IMO.

Yeah... I think what you just made there was a noose. :lol

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

you could maybe try to put wiring inside the mask if you want it to keep shape..

Yea, thats not a bad idea...I'll have to test that out...

Yeah... I think what you just made there was a noose. :lol
Lol.. Pretty much, except I used 2 different pieces of rope so pulling the excess wouldnt tighten it. I guess I should've described it better...

Last edited:
Nice work man. I bought my Scarecrow mask from the member AdamL on this board and it's great (one in my profile pic) As for the shape thing mine holds it's shape really well and the way it does so is because the inside was painted with latex which let's it hold it's shape but also gives it a degree of movement. It's also handy because it stops the itchy burlap from coming into contact with your face which is handy. I wish more people knew about this latex method of making the mask hold it's shape because it's so easy and completely changes the look from drooping burlap to a really unsettling mask.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back