Scar - Lion King Musical

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Temperance, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Temperance

Temperance Active Member

OMG yes... I'm making Scar for the Lion King Musical.... because.... I guess because I'm a little crazy.
    I admit, I'm really enamored with Scar.... I don't know why, but I've been desperate to make him since I saw the musical. Buy god, I'll do it! 0_o

Lots of photos below.....

Shoes painted:
    [​IMG]

Sculpting the head:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Casting the head:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starting painting the unitard:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chimmera30 and Amish Trooper like this.
  2. jedimarkj

jedimarkj Well-Known Member

I think this may be the first time I've seen someone do this. Good on you!
    Very very cool project!
    Definitely look forward to your progress! Fantastic sculpt!

3. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

Fantastic! I was just talking with a few friends about how much I loved these costumes. I certainly look forward to seeing this progress as I would love to have Scar's costume. That mask is coming along great, I can't wait to see the cane!

4. CGClone

CGClone Sr Member

Excited to see someone else do this! Looks great!

The original masks from Broadway were made much the same way, but the mask were cast with gel coat and backed with Kevlar to make them extremely light for the actors to wear. Would love to see that some someday.

5. Jessica

Jessica Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see this completed. Looks awesome already.

6. hoverboy

hoverboy Well-Known Member

This is so cool. The costumes in that are incredible. I can't wait to see this all done!

7. Temperance

Temperance Active Member

Mooore scar...
    I cast my first head with Resin in a slush cast.
    Some bondo and a lot of sanding got the head just the way I wanted it :D
    [​IMG]

Paint job.... I started with a base of Dark watered down brown, then dry brushed a rusty orange and lighter tan color over top. The dry brushing highlights the raised sections and keeps the grooves dark.
    [​IMG]

Adding the mane... I am using strips of pre-cut styrene I found at the hobby store in the model train section. I hand drilled holes into the styrene strips and inserted wire into the holes for additional reinforcement to the head.
    [​IMG]

8. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Amazing! When I saw the show at the Fox (local off-Broadway house) I bought one of the miniature Scar masks - looks just like it!

9. Temperance

Temperance Active Member

Woooo! Head is finally done. I'm quite proud of it ^_^

[​IMG]
    The head is mounted to a skull cap made of ABS plastic. I plastered my head with plastercloth, then vacuuformed a base. I covered the base wit Kanekalon to give Scar his hair instead of making a separate wig. With hair covers the zip ties and bolts holding the rigging of the head in place.

No, the head doesn't move... It would have been wonderful, and I might attempt it in the future, but the wiring and coding was just a little too complicated for me T_T

A make-up test... It'll look a lot better when I can pin down the sideburns so they don't flare out so much. I think I have the make-up down now.
    [​IMG]

10. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

Love it! It's really unique. You did a great job.

11. Jessica

Jessica Well-Known Member

You did awesome!

12. aelynn000

aelynn000 Well-Known Member

This is stunning work!!! I can't sculpt anything resembling a face, just basic shapes... like a kid with playdough... lol so this is immensely impressive to me. That, and Lion King is one of my all time favourite movies and the artistry in the designs for the musical are outstanding. For you to take this on as a project is impressive in itself but the results so far are astounding. I'm definitely following this and can't wait to see the finished product!!

13. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

So very awesome, looking great.

14. Temperance

Temperance Active Member

Starting work on Scar's shoulder harness thingy....
    Why attempt to bend REAL bamboo when I can make a mold of it in Silicone and cast it in resin instead?
    I bought a chunk of Bamboo in the flower arranging section of my local craft store and cut it in half, then made a cast with Smooth-on Rebound 25.
    [​IMG]
    Fulled the completed mold with Resin. Once the resin had changed color, but was still pliant, I bent it into the curved shape I required.
    [​IMG]
    Once completely hardened, I have a perfect curved bamboo base :3
    [​IMG]

15. indiefilmgeek

indiefilmgeek Sr Member

Looks great! I love the painted details of the face and I'm definitely going to be watching the rest of your build! :):thumbsup

16. iycis

iycis Sr Member

As a theater geek, this is such an amazing project to me. Can't wait to see more!

17. Temperance

Temperance Active Member

Back to work on Scar.... His harness is nearly done:

Put together... I drilled holes in key points and put the basic frame together, then drilled more holes and sewed pieces of latex tubing to the frame.
    [​IMG]
    Several coats of paint later... the whole thing is starting to look like Bamboo :3
    [​IMG]

Also stretched out a series of tubes and painted them. These are for the corset part.
    [​IMG]

Hard to believe, but I bought 35 feet of medical tubing for this and I have already run out!
    I still need to make the butt plate and arm guards.... I'm going to need at least another 20 feet. I'm starting to realize why actors claim Scar is a heavy costume to wear.... even when you use alternative materials to lighten him, he's still got a ton of stuff on him.

18. Laamberry

Laamberry Well-Known Member

Wow, this is crazy. Great work and so fast, too!

19. HQuinn

HQuinn New Member

You are amazing. I love that you're doing this. WOW!!!

20. cbabbage

cbabbage New Member

They were made of carbon fiber instead of Kevlar. Kevlar is actually a bit heavy. The process was still much the same as this piece. I just 3d scanned one of the originals we have kicking around the shop last week.

Great job on the mask. I don't ever see anyone try to do replicas of theater props.

Charles

21. SailorEarth

SailorEarth Active Member

This looks amazing! Your head sculpt is great and it looks like everything else is coming along well. Can't wait to see the finished product :)

22. Max Jenius

Max Jenius Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Like everyone else is saying....amazing!!!!

23. Temperance

Temperance Active Member

Scar chaps.... OMG chaps.... I hate these chaps ¬_¬
    Hard to believe, but of this whole costume, the chaps are so far the MOST expensive and the MOST time consuming and the MOST work.

Yup..... chaps....
    The leather I got at Tandy Leatherworks... it's a huge 62 square foot upholstery hide.... over $500. I've used about 2/3 of it sofar.

[​IMG]
    First... cut a V from the leather.... then run it through the sewing machine to get the texture....
    Repeat about 120 times.

[​IMG]
    Then pin all the pieces together and cut the edges to the pattern.
    Then sew all the pieces you pinned.

That's ONE leg.... it took me all day. I still have another one to do.

Once the leather parts are done, I need to sew black lining to the pants and sew them together D:
    Oh chaps, how I hate you..... T_T

24. EvilRocketeer

EvilRocketeer Sr Member

words cannot describe how amazing this is. I love the scar costume from the musical. Cant wait to see the costume completed

25. Temperance

Temperance Active Member

IT is DONE! Woooo!
    Scar is complete! This deserves a tilted chair *tilts my chair* ahhh....
    New challenge? Figuring out how to pack him to take him to cons O_O;;;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a Video of putting him on....
    Scar - Lion King Musical - YouTube

26. merkymerx

merkymerx Active Member

Amazing build! Very inspiring as I'd love to make this costume for myself as well. Fantastic work my friend! :)

27. Pete SSS

Pete SSS Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic job on your scar costume. A wonderful idea, and an excellent result! I know this may be a little late, but I was at the Theatre exhibition at the Victiria and Albert Museum in London this weekend and I came face to face with the original Scar costume. I remembered this thread so thought you may be interested to see a few pics of him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, and again, wonderful work on your replica!

28. Eveningarwen

Eveningarwen Well-Known Member

Awesome build! I bet finishing this feels like a weight has been lifted lol! There's nothing like being able to put a costume you've been working on for months on and being able to take the final pics!

This looks brilliant and I love how fully finished it is. From the head all the way down to the feet everything looks like a lot of care and attention to detail went into it.

I don't know if you ever plan on attending conventions in the states but if you do any of the major ones like SDCC or Dragon Con I hope I get the chance to see this in person!

29. moose

moose Active Member

easily one of the most impressive builds i've seen, despite the seeming simplicity (though i'm by no means saying it was simple.) great stuff ;]

30. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

five or six years ago, some people of our group watched the Lion King Musical and wanted to do the costumes for Karneval, but it was dropped because the costumes seemed to be very time-consuming.
    But when I see yours, I wish I could turn back time, because this looks so absolutly freaking amazing! Great build, great costume!