Suggestion Scammer / recaster dedicated forum section

Heroic Replicas

There are a bunch of threads in the main prop sections that are dedicated to warning people of scammers, or re-identifying recasters. Could we move these into their own section? I know visibility is important for them to be effective, but I think they interfere with people showing off the cool stuff they make or collect.

Look at it like it would collect all these warnings into one area, rather than get lost among other threads. It can be a very useful tool for new members and prop collectors. Something like this could compliment the banned member list.

In a cursory scan of the first ten pages of the Replica Prop sub-forum, I counted five threads dedicated to individual recasters/scammers/deals gone bad. That's only five threads out of 250, so I don't really see too much interference. There's a few more active in the Off-Topic, but it's still a rather limited number.

I think it would be counterproductive to shuffle off a such small number of threads to their own sub-forum. They would be more likely to get missed or ignored, thus leading to more complaining in other sub-forums from new people getting ripped off.

Maybe not limit it to a subforum, but rather SOMETHING that can collect all the straggling threads that can get lost in the mix where they are even likelier to get missed or ignored?

The problem is not all scammer and recaster threads are subject specific.

Sometimes someone starts a thread titled 'Help with a resin ________' and it's a cast of a prop that they are looking for advice on finishing and painting. In that thread someone notes that the resin prop is a recast and the ebayer or RPFer is discussed and warnings are listed.

The information is very useful for someone who reads it and can steer-clear of that ebayer because they recast and sell inferior props, but it would never come up in a search for recasters.

The same can be true for scammers as their information can be disclosed and discussed in a regular prop thread.

I think a better solution would be one thread in the Site Support similar to the banned member thread where known recasters and known scammers can have their info (screen name, ebay names(s), real name) listed so if you are thinking about making a prop purchase you can first go over to the list and check to see if the seller is on that list before buying.

Last edited:
I think a better solution would be one thread in the Site Support similar to the banned member thread where known recasters and known scammers can have their info (screen name, ebay names(s), real name) listed so if you are thinking about making a prop purchase you can first go over to the list and check to see if the seller is on that list before buying.
Definitely agree. Also with a link to evidence/forum topic to prevent abuse and for people to see exactly what happened.

Definitely agree. Also with a link to evidence/forum topic to prevent abuse and for people to see exactly what happened.

Yes. Exactly.
Look at it like it would collect all these warnings into one area, rather than get lost among other threads. It can be a very useful tool for new members and prop collectors. Something like this could compliment the banned member list.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back