Scaling Question .___.

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by itsaplane, May 14, 2012.

1. itsaplane

itsaplane Member

I'm using the tutorial method # 2 on the dented helmet website.

I get you have to measure and then put in the amounts, but when it comes to width, for the thighs for example, do you measure around the WHOLE thigh? Or just the front area?

And for that matter, would you measure around the entire body part for the rest, ie the shin, forearm, bicep, etc?

The only one I'm seeing you wouldn't measure around completely is the chest and back... I'm also having difficulty after resizing/rescaling it, making the pieces fit onto the paper properly...

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance! <3

2. itsaplane

itsaplane Member

Re: Scaling Question

uh, is it okay to bump this? Stuff travels really fast on this forum. sorry guys.

.___.

3. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

are you talking about pepakura?

if so, if you enter one value, the others change appropriatly. also, in pepakura designer, theres a function, called measure distance between 2 points. this way you can measure how big the model is, so you know if you need to rescale or not. just measure the length or width or whatever of your model, and then measure your respective body part. this way you know if it will fit ;)

4. Indigogyre

Indigogyre Well-Known Member

Hello, my name is Dean, and I'm Scale Impaired. I so wish that was the case because even doing all that it still never works out. My latest lesson learned is that you need to account for the thickness of the foam when scaling something. If you scale to 200cm but you have 12 mm of foam thickness it just won't fit properly. My meat paw fit into that paper gauntlet cuff but once it was foam it was all over but the crying.

Dean

5. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

kinda obvious, that foam makes stuff thicker than paper, tho :D

6. itsaplane

itsaplane Member

Yes, I am talking about in pepakura...but the method I was using for scaling says to measure your body part, and then put that number in and what not. I was just confused on how or where to measure the body part.

I'll probably try to use the method number #1 instead of method #2 which is what you're talking about.

Thank you though!