Scale Hogwarts and other Potter Structures?

I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and BTW work for a company (Smartt Inc. | Scale Models, Arts, & Technologies, Inc.) that builds custom model railroad layouts for clients around the country. I design and build structures all the time for work in O, S, HO, etc. Doing an HO Hogwarts is one of my back burner projects that I'd love to pursue given sufficient reference data. I'll take a look at that paper model file. Maybe I can finally give it a whirl.

I've looked and used a number of the German castles for a recent project and unfortunately I think that very few of their components is viable for crossing over into this project.

I think it would be neat to produce as a multi-component kit, where pieces would be provided as they were produced. Of course for copyright reasons, it could never be called by its movie name, but we'd know ;)

My son is five years old, and he is crazy about trains, and I finally broke down and comitted to building a model railroad in our basement (for me to play with, and for the 5-yr-old, and for our second child (currently three months old) to play with eventually, too).

Seeing all of the television broadcasts of the Potter films (leading up to Phoenix's debut) made me think, "Wow, I wonder if there are existing HO, N, or Z scale Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Kings Cross, Hagrid Hut, and other items out there."

My initial research has turned up mostly toy-looking things that are kinda in scale but not exactly correct.

I reside in the U.S. and the folks that built http://www.realisticmodelling.com/images/hogwarts_castle.jpg are in the U.K."

Bachman makes an HO (1:87 scale) Olton Hall, and Hornby makes a few other cheesy toy-like structures, but I was wondering if anyone has found anything better.

I hope I can construct a model railroad in some of the space in our unfinished basement, and it will probably be 1:87.1 scale (I would prefer 1:160, but I haven’t seen an N-scale Olton Hall). I think Marklin even makes a 1:220 Hogwarts Express, so that wouldn’t be out of the question, either.

I think it would be cool to create model railroad layout with not only Hogwarts castle and grounds, but also King's Cross Station (with the as-seen-on-film St. Pancras ediface), the 21-arch Glenfinnan viaduct, as well as Hogsmeade as shown in the films, the Whomping Willow from Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, (and maybe even a bit of Virginia Water, Surrey).

Does anyone own the Noble Hogwarts sculpt? How accurate is it, and does it come close to 1:220 scale?

Has anyone ever found a source of even any scaled plans for any of the structures?

Not sure if you’re still interested in this project, but I stumbled across this thread in a good search. I’m doing just what you’ve described in 1/87 scale. I’m on Instagram if you want to take a look. Been going for about a year. I figure I’ve got 1-2 more years max to be completely finished. tonyrigbyart
ACD4FD7B-9693-4172-A088-58AB1FE0B845.jpeg

BLOODY 'ELL!

WICKED!

Is your final plan to display as separate scenes, or connect them all into a seamless world?

Not sure if you’re still interested in this project, but I stumbled across this thread in a good search. I’m doing just what you’ve described in 1/87 scale. I’m on Instagram if you want to take a look. Been going for about a year. I figure I’ve got 1-2 more years max to be completely finished. tonyrigbyartView attachment 1057639

For what it is worth, if I recall correctly the studio miniature for Hogwarts was comprised of several structures that they would rearrange to give it a good set of shapes as they filmed it from different directions. They felt this was also in keeping with the on screen Hogwarts which was known to rearrange sections of itself. If you can come up with the base units for making a complete Hogwarts, you can position them however you like to make it look good, jst as they did during the filming...

I've actually been making an entire HP world in 1/87 scale. So far I've done the Burrow, Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade Station, the Forbidden Forest, Hogsmeade and a few buildings of Hogwarts. I'm on Instagram under tonyrigbyart. I'd be interested to hear if the rest of you are still going on your HP layouts, as it's been a while since anything was posted here.
IMG_2109.JPG

BLOODY 'ELL!

WICKED!

Is your final plan to display as separate scenes, or connect them all into a seamless world?

I didn't see that my first message went through so I went and posted again...haha. In answer to your questions, I'm creating 2'x2' squares that be displayed independently or pieced together like a puzzle to create one massive layout. Obviously that won't work for Hogwarts, as that will end up being about 6' wide when I'm finished. I'm about 1/4 done with that and also need to make thee mountain. There will be a Hogwarts Express running from Platform 9 3/4 and ending at Hogsmeade station, circling around under the mountain that Hogwarts will reside on.

For what it is worth, if I recall correctly the studio miniature for Hogwarts was comprised of several structures that they would rearrange to give it a good set of shapes as they filmed it from different directions. They felt this was also in keeping with the on screen Hogwarts which was known to rearrange sections of itself. If you can come up with the base units for making a complete Hogwarts, you can position them however you like to make it look good, jst as they did during the filming...

Yes, I'm building Hogwarts one building at a time, though I'm also creating a base for it all to go on. It's too massive in HO scale to make it any other way.

I've actually been making an entire HP world in 1/87 scale. So far I've done the Burrow, Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade Station, the Forbidden Forest, Hogsmeade and a few buildings of Hogwarts. I'm on Instagram under tonyrigbyart. I'd be interested to hear if the rest of you are still going on your HP layouts, as it's been a while since anything was posted here.
View attachment 1057833
Hi just wondering what reference material you used for Diagon Alley? I am currently researching to complete a HO scale 1:200 model of Diagon Alley film set for my wife, I have a google street view and a plan and elevation drawing from the Leavesden studio as an obscure photo, that is hard to read dimension detail. Also it only shows elevation from one side of the street. I was considering contacting the studio, but due to copywright they wouldnt be offering any info I dont believe.
Cheers.
Graham

My son is five years old, and he is crazy about trains, and I finally broke down and comitted to building a model railroad in our basement (for me to play with, and for the 5-yr-old, and for our second child (currently three months old) to play with eventually, too).

Seeing all of the television broadcasts of the Potter films (leading up to Phoenix's debut) made me think, "Wow, I wonder if there are existing HO, N, or Z scale Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Kings Cross, Hagrid Hut, and other items out there."

My initial research has turned up mostly toy-looking things that are kinda in scale but not exactly correct.

I reside in the U.S. and the folks that built http://www.realisticmodelling.com/images/hogwarts_castle.jpg are in the U.K."

Bachman makes an HO (1:87 scale) Olton Hall, and Hornby makes a few other cheesy toy-like structures, but I was wondering if anyone has found anything better.

I hope I can construct a model railroad in some of the space in our unfinished basement, and it will probably be 1:87.1 scale (I would prefer 1:160, but I haven’t seen an N-scale Olton Hall). I think Marklin even makes a 1:220 Hogwarts Express, so that wouldn’t be out of the question, either.

I think it would be cool to create model railroad layout with not only Hogwarts castle and grounds, but also King's Cross Station (with the as-seen-on-film St. Pancras ediface), the 21-arch Glenfinnan viaduct, as well as Hogsmeade as shown in the films, the Whomping Willow from Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, (and maybe even a bit of Virginia Water, Surrey).

Does anyone own the Noble Hogwarts sculpt? How accurate is it, and does it come close to 1:220 scale?

Has anyone ever found a source of even any scaled plans for any of the structures?
I just purchased a book on Amazon named Harry Potter - The Blueprints. I'm going to build the buildings from the film's blueprints including the station (eventually) As for the train, there was a HP Hogwarts Express train issued. I hope this helps.

I just purchased a book on Amazon named Harry Potter - The Blueprints. I'm going to build the buildings from the film's blueprints including the station (eventually) As for the train, there was a HP Hogwarts Express train issued. I hope this helps.
Thanks. I bet that is an amazing book!

My initial post was seventeen years ago when my son was 5 years old. We never did build any other scenery, but I bought several of the licensed off-the-shelf trains and we had great fun with them when he was little. Now he's 22 and living 400 miles away in college.

I would assume the Hogwarts Legacy video game could also be a resource now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back