Saw Gerrera Build

John Maul

I am a huge Rogue One fan... Just want to share my Saw Gerrera build for a close friend. It first debuted at Ottawa Comiccon 2019. This is a custom build from the ground up from foam, worbla, sintra and various misc. items scavenged from local thrift stores. It still requires some adjustments and refinements to improve authenticity.
60053054_10162540351450725_7094304684634013696_n.jpg

I am a huge Rogue One fan... Just want to share my Saw Gerrera build for a close friend. It first debuted at Ottawa Comiccon 2019. This is a custom build from the ground up from foam, worbla, sintra and various misc. items scavenged from local thrift stores. It still requires some adjustments and refinements to improve authenticity.View attachment 1019703
WOW! BOR GULLET! LOL! I gotta say that looks really awesome! I bet it would be Rebel Legion approved! I really wanna build Saw also! Do you have a build thread posted?

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I neglected to start a build thread :( .

It took about six months to build - and much of the time was experimenting with different materials to mimic the look. Armour was from basic foam floor mats coated with white glue and covered with field grey fabric (a close examination of high rez images revealed his amour has a fabric layer rather than having been painted). The tubes are medical surplus tubes as is the mask. Hard armour bits are made from sintra. The arms are also sintra heated and bent into 'rings' and applied over 8 and 6 inch plastic ducts coated with flexible grey/green vinyl paint. Polished metal pieces and seals on the arms and wrist seals are aluminium duct tape stretched over sintra strips heated and bent using a heat gun. Main foam armour was also bent to shape using a heat gun, along with the large shoulder bell. The small bell on his left should is mesh reinforced worbla bent to shape over a ball, then fabric coated. The flight suit was picked up from a thrift shop along with a kid's fall coat made from grey pleather and silver fabric... it was used to create the detailing. The shoulder bell shield, neck seal and 'artificial foot' are also layered, then painted sintra cut and bent with a heat gun, along with most other hard surface greeblies. Trim detailing on the body armour is from stretch grey elastic material carefully added around amour panels... And then I have junk boxes filled with interesting shaped plastic bits collected overtime. It was interesting to scavenge for junk to mimic various components. Chrome trim on arms and legs is trimmed down automotive door trim. Total cost of materials was about $150 dollars - the real 'cost' was the labor of love :). Belt is made from thrift store web belts of various textures - buckle is made again from sintra to be screen accurate, similarly, holster is sintra and detailed with various types of webbing. I want to add I have a friend with a sign business who gave me sintra scraps, which help keep the cost way down. An of course, it does include the kitchen sink (drain cap) - lower vent is made from a drain cap, sintra and detailed with paper clips, again to appear as screen accurate as possible... the list goes on... the only thing that is 'authentic' from the film is the release clip and US military webbing across the chest plate. A lot of other details not seen in the image include the flag and breathing apparatus.

Costume has been submitted to the Rebel Legion for approval - and with a little luck, perhaps the CRL standard (fingers crossed).

Since these pictures, the breathing and armour tubes have been shortened and small shoulder cover trimmed to be more screen accurate. Also the arm trim has been narrowed slightly narrowed, also to be more screen accurate and make the arms easier to move. the right arm has been slightly shortened to make the screen accurate glove more visible, and finally a small green lighting system added to enhance the screen accurate look of the armour in the appropriate spots. Oh, and walking stick has been lengthened to be a little higher... walking stick is metal broom handle with a pepper shaker screwed to the top. It is covered with a plastic wire restraining tube and weathered. Costume cabling are grey and yellow network cables...

As you can tell, I was obsessed with the finer details... I did all this for a friend's son who is the same height and appearance as Forest Whitaker (he is younger, so we applied temporary grey die highlights to his hair and beard and roughed up his complexion with fake scare and battle damage).

SG - submittion photos-8787.jpg
SG - submittion photos-8788.jpg
SG - submittion photos-8790.jpg
SG - submittion photos-8792.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! Again your Saw build is FANTASTIC! The detail is awesome and like you said I can certainly see the 'Labor of Love' that you put into it. You ought to get approved and be the first approved Saw in the RL. My issue was I couldn't find any detail of his back, cape, and lower parts. All I had was the visual dictionary and the 3.75" action figure. I was hoping Hasbro would make a Black Series of him to get better detail but nope. Thanks for your sharing of this great build. Curious, how did you source his staff? Is it 3D printed? And oh, if I build this too, i'll have to get a pedicure on my left foot! LOL

WOW! Again your Saw build is FANTASTIC! The detail is awesome and like you said I can certainly see the 'Labor of Love' that you put into it. You ought to get approved and be the first approved Saw in the RL. My issue was I couldn't find any detail of his back, cape, and lower parts. All I had was the visual dictionary and the 3.75" action figure. I was hoping Hasbro would make a Black Series of him to get better detail but nope. Thanks for your sharing of this great build. Curious, how did you source his staff? Is it 3D printed? And oh, if I build this too, i'll have to get a pedicure on my left foot! LOL

I poured every published photo I could find and isolated frames from the film as needed ... and the 3" figure was hugely helpful. It is actually nicely detailed... and had enough reference points to complete the hidden area. Hmmm.... I just noticed I have a back plate missing and the insignia is facing in the wrong direction on the flag :oops:... pm me with any questions you want if you would like specific information or photos of construction details.

rogueoneboxturnaround1.jpg

One final detail... close examination of the screen used costume reveals just how disheveled it really is - which makes building this costume a little easier. Weathering makes a big difference in pulling together the overall look... the screen used costume looks much scruffier than my attempt. I just didn't have the heart to beat it up more just yet.

Last edited:
I am a huge Rogue One fan... Just want to share my Saw Gerrera build for a close friend. It first debuted at Ottawa Comiccon 2019. This is a custom build from the ground up from foam, worbla, sintra and various misc. items scavenged from local thrift stores. It still requires some adjustments and refinements to improve authenticity.View attachment 1019703
Wish he did a tutorial build to learn how he did it

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back