Saving food

Norbert

Sr Member
I have some chocolate I would like to take a mold off of it so I can have something that looks like it. That I can put on a shelf and not have to worry about it turning white or melting on me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Equinox putty and Smooth-Sil 940 rubber from Smooth-On are food safe. For next Halloween I would like to make some chocolate molds.

I feel like Smooth-On should be sponsoring this site.

If I understand you want a non edible copy of a chocolate bar?

A silicone rubber mould should do fine for that.

Then you can cast it in whatever you want. If it's just going to sit on a shelf I would experiment with plaster, it's cheap and if you do the moulding right it will have a nice shiny coat, similar to a chocolate bar. You just need to get the colour right.

If you've never done moulding before there are plenty of resources online, just look for 'one part silicone mould' or 'silicone dump mould'

I have never done moulding before. But MAdmanmoe64 you are right. I would like to make a copy for display of the chocolate so it can set out on my shelf. Contec and NormanF where would I get that kind of stuff?

You can buy the rubber direct from Smooth-On.
Smooth-Sil 940

You will need an accurate electronic scale, preferably in grams to measure the stuff out before you mix it. I would highly recommend trying to find a distributor in your area so you can go in and ask them questions about how to use it. If you do not have a local distributor you might be able to call Smooth-On direct and ask them your questions. There are also videos on their site and YouTube on how to make rubber molds in general.

If you just want to make a mold so you can make a copy to display but not eat you can use a less expensive rubber.

Something occurred to me this morning and then two things just now:
1. There is a chance that the chocolate you want to copy will be damaged when you remove it from the mold.
2. If you do not use a food safe rubber then do NOT eat the chocolate after you make the mold of it.
3. Does this count as recasting?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back