Savage Saber 3d print

TerranCmdr

(This counts as a Star Wars build.... right?)

Well after thoroughly enjoying watching Mr. Savage build his saber, I was inspired to 3d print one for myself. I'm not quite at the printing stage just yet but wanted to share my progress. I took many screenshots from his video in order to line up my model as best I could. There aren't many known variables to go off of, but I know the dimensions of the Saberbay core so that was a good start.

Figuring out the knurling was a little tricky but I settled on a good method. At this point in time I don't plan for this to hold a core or blade (too rich for my blood) but in theory they should fit. I do plan to make the files for this freely available once they're test printed and I'm happy with them.

Definitely open to any suggestions at this point! At the moment I've got the crystal and activation button to model, the copper pipes on the emitter, and finally the glyph on the pommel. Then I'll get the handle and pommel on the printer to test the threading fit and the feel of the knurling.

I'm using Modo to model and will be printing on an Ender 3 and an Anycubic Photon Mono. Thanks for looking!

saber_wip3.JPG

saber_wip2.JPG

saber_wip1.JPG

saber_wip4.JPG

That video was cool, but should have been 25 minutes long, not an hour and 25 minutes long. I get that you can see his process and "screw ups," but c'mon. That editor needs to hack and slash a bit more :lol:

That video was cool, but should have been 25 minutes long, not an hour and 25 minutes long. I get that you can see his process and "screw ups," but c'mon. That editor needs to hack and slash a bit more :lol:
Couldn't disagree with you more lol also, just drag the scroll bar to the points you want

I agree the Tested editing could be tighter.

I usually watch all the tested videos including his 'Ask Adam Savage' videos and every time he's answering a question and he stops and grabs his bottle drink and takes a swig or is talking about something and he says 'Hold on a sec...' and disappears off-camera for 10-15 seconds to grab something I always think to myself "Why is this in the video?!". Adam is great and the content is fantastic but the bottle swigs and the camera-mount cranking he does when he's just talking to camera always kills me that it isn't edited out.

Personally I really enjoy the long "one day" build videos. I like to see his thought process and screw-ups.

I don't suppose anyone happens to have one of these Saberbay saber cores? I'd like to make the 3d model compatible but I need to know where the button is (measurement from the bottom of the core to the bottom of the button). Diameter of the button would also be helpful.

Yeah, the videos could have been tighter but I still like it all being in there.. feels more like you've just been chillin' with Adam in his shop

Nice work TerranCmdr . Gotta say Adam's saber is pretty kickass

Thanks! My initial reaction was that I didn't like how long the handle was and I didn't like the pommel, but over the course of his video I grew to like them. Still, since the pommel screws on I was thinking of making my own variation.

I usually watch all the tested videos including his 'Ask Adam Savage' videos and every time he's answering a question and he stops and grabs his bottle drink and takes a swig or is talking about something and he says 'Hold on a sec...' and disappears off-camera for 10-15 seconds to grab something I always think to myself "Why is this in the video?!". Adam is great and the content is fantastic but the bottle swigs and the camera-mount cranking he does when he's just talking to camera always kills me that it isn't edited out.

It's in the video because people like me who desparately needed social connexions during lockdown really responded to those little moments of humanity, to the point where the full unedited videos are now member incentives on their Patreon. :D

Also, I suspect, to remind the that the Q&As come from livestreams and aren't planned videos.

To the OP: I find it wonderfully meta that you're recreating someone's attempt to make a unique design inside the Star Wars aesthetic. That really made me happy. :D

Obviously I’m a fan of Adam and Tested, I wouldn’t watch their videos if I didn’t enjoy the content.

I liked the all-in-one saber electronics but I can’t find what he had online. He says in different parts of the video the electronics are from Saber Forge and later Saber Vault. I’ve checked both sites and I couldn’t find what he had, I even tried Vaders Vault with no luck.

Anyone know where the electronics are from?

Obviously I’m a fan of Adam and Tested, I wouldn’t watch their videos if I didn’t enjoy the content.

I liked the all-in-one saber electronics but I can’t find what he had online. He says in different parts of the video the electronics are from Saber Forge and later Saber Vault. I’ve checked both sites and I couldn’t find what he had, I even tried Vaders Vault with no luck.

Anyone know where the electronics are from?

Believe this is it....

I usually have his videos on in the background while im working on my own projects, and I love the long form of them-- they definitely have some fat that could be trimmed if you wanted a tight edit, but I like how it meanders and is him mostly being natural.

BUT-- that creaking that comes from the arms he uses to holds lights and cameras is one of the most grating noises I have heard in my life haha. I wish they would cut sound for that.

First test piece done! Print quality isn't the greatest so I have some tuning on the printer to do. This piece is small enough though I might just do it in resin.
You post was so cool you inspired me to hop into fusion yesterday:
savage2.png

Felt like my computer was about to explode trying to calculate the knurling. I will not insult everyone by posting the overlay comparisons on mine-- you have me beat by a mile haha. Mine gets super wonky towards the edges since I was working off the main pic from his video thumbnail and there was a ton of parallax, but I'm happy with where I was able to end up with my limited Fusion skills .

Thanks for the inspiration to start on this!

Godspeed Don't sell yourself short, yours looks great! I definitely feel you about the knurling, lol. Any plans to build it?
Thank you! And yep, main pieces are in the resin printer now. should have everything printed off by tomorrow.

I *think* my scale might be off (well, I know its off, the scale was a guess based on the length of other similar sabers). idk-- the knurled part's outer dimensions looks small on my printer. Theoretically the parallax of the reference image shouldnt be affecting the dimensions of the outer diameter of the tube since it is in the center of the focal plane and shouldnt be affecting the areas around the graflex button that much.

Ill have to see where the actually ends up and how it feels in the hand. I may adjust it for best aesthetics if it ends up to small and throw actual accuracy to adam's out the window.

adam savage.jpg

Just for reference, this was the image I used. overall saber length was scaled to 12". I did other measurements references-- measured the tip of his pointer finger and compared it to mine (we're similar builds). That measurement was very close, so I'm hoping the small look of the handle on my printer ends up just being a visual trick.

(my model overlaid)
Screenshot 2022-09-16 105651.png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back