Sauron Armour WIP

wakoquacko

First thread, first project, i'm crazy right? I'm doing what i'm calling the "skill set challenge" where you take on a fairly difficult project that has very little to do with your current skill set (hence the name). As you can see i'm doing the dark lord Sauron, ambitious I know, but as they say "fortune favours the brave". So metal working, plastic forming/casting and sewing are all likely to be on the list. I'm coming from a background of electronic engineering so i'm going to be learning a lot and trying to remember what I can from Resistant Materials (shop class) from 5 years ago.

Advice/tips on methods and materials are very welcome.

see you later.

Last edited:
Re: Sauron Armour build

Now this is what I am talking about, cannot wait on what you can do with the greatest villain of all time. Keep all posted, as I always wanted someone to do a Sauron costume that could be has screen accurate as possible.

Telling you now, not going to be that accurate. Main reason, it's my first ever project. Other reasons, not a massive fan on the mace tbh. Want to go to cons with this and a mace isn't the most stowable of weapons. Found an awesome concept for a sword of his though (will post a pic when I get home)

My plan is to do an "earlier" Sauron where he still used a sword and hadn't grown to his full 12 feet height yet (planning on making it around 7-8 ) also I figure I can use that as an excuse as to why the armour will look a bit different.

Sorry to disappoint but still hope you like it :)

UPDATE:

as promised, the picture.

Sauron Sword.jpg

Last edited:

Gonna be a challenging build, will be following...
I've just started on my first build also and I have no clue where to go with it after I finish my pepakura,... lol!

Good luck!

yeah there are tons of pep's for the helmet, obviously will mock up in paper but i think the final might be either sintra or hip styrene as there isnt a lot of curves, but i will say i'm not looking forward to it all that much :/. hip styrene is definetly going to be a main material throughout the build, but i want to do at least the gauntlets in metal

Last edited:

Yeah, i think pepakura would be more trouble then its worth on the Sauron helmet when you consider how much of a pain that shape would be to sand in bondo. Sintra is a great material for armor, i can't recommend it enough. I used it for my Mandalorian costume and it was amazingly easy to work with.

excelent :) all I need to do now is find a uk supplier. What thickness did you use?

Last edited:

Alright we are making some headway! Have a good bit of a basic mock up of the gauntlet, made from paper and thumb tacks. None of the fancy stuff is done as you can see but its a place to start :D getting super stoked about this

gauntlet beginings.jpg

IMG_20131121_213743.jpg

IMG_20131121_214020.jpg

IMG_20131121_215444.jpg

Photo on 21-11-2013 at 21.58 #2.jpg

Photo on 21-11-2013 at 21.58.jpg

So this is part update post and part admin post. First lets get the boring admin stuff out of the way, i've decided to get rid of the blog because I will basically post the same things as I would on here and it seemed a bit pointless to have two locations showing the same stuff.

Now for the update, made a bit of progress on the paper mockup as you'll see below. Added the extra plates and the knuckle guard. Reason why everything is in paper? Waiting for payday to get some gloves for it, heat gun, knife and ePVC (can't find any sintra in the UK and from what i've read it's the same stuff but feel free to correct me)

Also any advice on riveting ePVC, can/should it be done?

Photo on 25-11-2013 at 21.19.jpg

Photo on 25-11-2013 at 22.07 #2.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good so far, wako.
As for Sintra, from what I've read around the RPF forum I believe it's a US brand of pvc foam board and the UK equivalent is FOAMEX (I may be wrong),...
I'm hoping to use the same material to make my armour, hopefully this is the right stuff,... Thinking the price seems pretty reasonable too,...

Yah, just outside of London,...
Price looks good and seems to be individual sheets too, just got to remember to account for VAT, lol,...

Yeah turns into £7.24~ for 120x61. Still pretty good I think though. Also thinking of using Chicago Screws instead of rivets, seems easier and I don't have to get a rivet gun just before christmas :)

Last edited:
So a long break can mean 1 of 3 things. Lots of progress, given up or very busy on other stuff. This is the latter one. After 65 man hours of prep in 11 days (including 2 days off work) and three days of "showtime" my church pantomime is done :D Was a great production but I am glad it's over. I have done a little bit of work on the costume mainly on the gauntlet and I think i've got to the point where i'm getting negative returns the more I fiddle with it so i'm going to leave it be. And as it is the holiday season I obviously won't have any spare cash to put on supplies but I think I will experiment with pepakura and cardboard and see how that turns out :) But unfortunately I probably won't have a progress update till about mid January. Sorry for the gap and the next gap but these things happen.

Happy Holidays everybody :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back