Santa Show off.... Lets see your Santa suit

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by runnriottt, Dec 20, 2011.

1. runnriottt

runnriottt Well-Known Member

Just getting started on Saint Nick, and wanted to see what you all have. This is my trial year and its a blast! I ma looking into a far more pro set up.

PLus any tips and things to avoid as Santa would be great to add in the thread.

Merry Christmas!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. Vermithrax 4

Vermithrax 4 Well-Known Member

Here's mine. Made it myself out of red velvet and faux fur. The design is more European Father Christmas than American Santa Claus and was based on a 3' tall decorative display figure that my wife inherited from her grandmother. The inner robe is a gold & red marble-ized fabric overlaid with gold netting and trimmed at the bottom with gold curtain tassels. I get to play Santa tonight for my cousin's children, in fact.

[​IMG]

bobafettsslave1 likes this.
  3. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

OMG, that's awesome!! :eek

4. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Awesome suits. For a brief instant, I thought you had a holster attached to your belt, runriott...LOL. Wonder what that says about me.

5. ironspider

ironspider New Member

i do a stilt walking santa on fremont st here in las vegas here are sum pics

6. ironspider

ironspider New Member

very good job guys

7. runnriottt

LOVE that beard! Is that Yak hair? Fantastic. Great looking suit!

Yea... Cheap belt. I had to tape it flat. Didn't have it done in that shot. I have to post up some Santa Vader shots... LOL

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Here is me... do it every year... next year I am thinking about doing prosthetic pieces, sculpting in Dragon Skin and hand punching the beard... this is a beard that is laced and glued to my face... the mustache is hand laid...
    [​IMG]

9. Vermithrax 4

Oh, if only my beard WAS yak hair!!! Actually, it's totally synthetic, I got it from a local costume shop, it was the best quality beard that they had. I'd love to get a custom made, ventilated one of real hair. Maybe one day.

10. runnriottt

I am looking hard at a Yak hair beard and wig now... I have a question though.

After this season, the beard and wig I have here need styled. How do you all brush it out with out destroying it? How do you remove Spirit Gum from the back of the beard liner?

These are things I am thinking about prior to really dropping coin on a beard and wig...

11. Darth Mule

Darth Mule Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is one awesome Santa suit. Love the Victorian style Santas. Don't see them very often.

You should check out Lacey Wigs Santa sets. They have several levels (including a Yak hair). You can google them to get a quick look through another vendor's site like International Wigs®: Santa Wigs and Beards
    But you really need to call them and request a catalog to get a full look and see their prices. (212) 695-1996

The ones with the separate mustache that you spirit gum on are the way to go.
    These things should also come with eyebrows IMO...

12. Vermithrax 4

Thanks everyone for the kind compliments about my suit, it's truly appreciated.

I haven't needed to comb out my beard as of yet but I've had to take a soft hair brush to the mustache. The wig you really can't brush out since most of it is under the hood, I can just push the hair back on each side with my hands.

I actually have Lacey's catalog already but I've never seen their Santa beards in person. Darth Mule, your suggestions will definitely be taken when I go to finally get a new beard and wig.

Spirit gum can be cleaned off of wig & beard lace with rubbing alcohol.

13. runnriottt

Thanks for the info DM!

Rubbing Alcohol here I come. Thanks!

14. Looch

Looch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's mine-took me a few years to get it just right! The jacket is lined with a quilted, padded lining of red, with darker red snowflakes printed on it, with the occasional silver one. The belt is hand tooled, with the name "Claus" on the back in silver concho letters. The boots are winter boots that I had to sew the tops on to. Under all this is an Italian renaissance shirt and red vest, and very festive handmade suspenders. The beard set is elasticized at the back, but I have a good quality lace knotted one glued over top of it, to give the look of it actually growing out of me! Rather than spirit gum, I use Pros-Aide for the glue.

15. kysupernatural

kysupernatural Well-Known Member

love to see a BAD SANTA costume...lol..with or without beer cans...lol

16. Looch

Hey, posted my pics up, but thought that I'd say hey. As for suggestions, I would suggest picking your beard set very carefully. The moustache is usually fairly crappy-they hang down straight, with a curl at the bottom. Find yourself a separate one-mine was technically a set of eyebrows, but they work far better as my 'stache! Also, be very particular about your belt-they can be hard to find a good one, or at least a good and inexpensive buckle. Oh, and good boots too-very important! My first year as Santa was this year, and I want to keep going!

17. Looch

I use an elastic-backed beard, but then glue a lace-backed one over it for a natural hairline-do try to get one, it really makes a difference!

18. capodimusica

capodimusica New Member

Here's my new custom suit from this past season.

[​IMG]

As far as your question goes, look for a good Santa forum for tips, tricks, etc. I recommend Clausnet.com for those wishing to look into being a professional Santa. As far as the spanking picture above, very sad indeed.

19. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

An entirely different version that I use every year:

[​IMG]

That's quite an old photo, now I usually wear Stormtrooper boots with it. ;)

-Magnoli

20. yt

yt Sr Member

That is really cool!

21. Looch

I used to work in a make-up shop, and one year a Santa came in and asked how to remove the buit-up spirit gum from his beard. I looked at it, and we had to break it off-it was caked on like amber! nyway, there are some good solvents out there, but afterwards, I would recommend Pros Aide for the glue, and Supersolv for the remover.

22. Jeebee25

Jeebee25 Active Member

Absolutely inspiring! About 16 years ago my mom made a Santa suit for no other reason than she wanted to use a pattern she found. She always wanted me to wear it but in all honesty I really had no reason. Flash forward to now. I have a 2 yr old daughter and another on the way. So I asked my mom if I could have the suit to take pictures. She sent me the hat, jacket and pants that she made and a new wig and beard that a friend of mine had sold her. I completed the suit with a belt, gloved, glasses and some boot covers. I also added a few belt fobs and a black pouch I had found for a $1 at a yard sale. For this next year I plan on working with my father-in-law on a leather belt and getting some real boots. I love the capelet idea and am hoping to add one of those also.

[​IMG]

23. kylesrkylejr

kylesrkylejr New Member

Cancelled

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  24. Patton3660

Patton3660 New Member

Has anyone attempted to make the Santa from the Rise of the Guardians?

Edit: I am new here so please excuse me if I do somethin stupid:wacko

25. Looch

Not exactly, but I hope to add a nice robe like his to my outfit. Maybe get the tattoos, too.

26. mathew

mathew Active Member

Looks like sinterklaas , the dutch, older and origional version of your Santa ( together with old European ideas of father winter and scandinavian midwinter spirits).
    He is based on Saint Nicolas of Myra.

27. Indy Magnoli

Yes, indeed... we even have a Zwarte Piet.

28. Jeebee25

Jeebee25 Active Member

I've done some upgrades to my suit this year -

First off, real boots! (Only $50 shipped on eBay. And the quality is better than I expected.)

11002420583_beaa778f2f.jpg

Added some fobs to my belt to hold my "Santa's Magic Key"

11002198625_ece3d99d81_z.jpg

It will work fine for this year. Last but not least I added a little flair to my hat.

11002420383_50023a8ddd.jpg

(I look angry, I'm not... I just don't always take the best pictures ;) ) I have some red gloves ordered also and a real fat pad to give me a little extra jolly.

29. Jeebee25

Jeebee25 Active Member

Full deal, almost ready. I need to sew in a zipper to the jacket. (I'm not the best seamstress in the world.) this weekend I will be Santa for all my wife's friends at work (taking pictures with their children)

SANTA IS READY TO BELIEVE YOU!

11072549193_5b864c4a20.jpg

30. Urban spaceman

Urban spaceman Active Member

Here's my Santa suit.
    It's a replica of the 'Robot Santas' from 'the Runaway Bride' Doctor Who Christmas special back in 2006 (I think it was 2006).
    santa.jpg

31. Dracosfire83

Dracosfire83 Well-Known Member

Always wanted to do this Santa but I could never find the mask.

[​IMG]

32. Froggie

Froggie Member

After seeing this thread I got interested and decided to pull a costume together with whatever I had available.

Foto0241 (Custom).jpg Foto0247 (Custom).jpg

The green tunic, grey wool waistcoat, cloak and the belt are all part of larp clothing I made some years ago.

The coat is my winter overcoat, which I fixed up last year with a new set of buttons and a quick patchjob at the armpit (which I can now see didn't hold up and needs some reinforcement.)

Not shown in pictures: Pants, wool hat, beaked leather boots, gloves, reed walking stick.

The black t-shirt is a standin for an white linen undershirt I'm making at the moment. The neck is far too exposed to the elements for my taste.

I thought it'd be fun to see yet another version of Santa. I imagined this one as Jólnir, which is one of Wotan/Odin's many secret identities, or one of the oldest version of the Yule spirits in Scandinavia.

The Odin part made me think that he should have a more royal feel to him, so I untied the scarf (which was blocking to much of the costume anyway) and pinned it in place with the silver(?) brooches I refurbished a while ago.

It started as an experiment in costuming, but now I'm thinking of completing it by making a red wool cap, perhaps lined with fur and some embroidery, and maybe some pine branches.

I'm also looking for a wig, beard, eyebrows and a mustache, as I feel this part can not be overlooked when dressing up as either Santa Claus or Wotan. I just want less of a jolly curly beard and more of a dignified, severe kind of deal. I don't imagine this guy is overly jolly, at least not all the time. He'd probably have a thing or two to say to Coca Cola as well.

There's a forecast for snow in the weeks to come around here, so maybe I'll get a photo shoot in sometime in the future, and won't have to upload horrible phone camera pictures.:)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  33. ShardSpider

ShardSpider New Member

What a lovely idea for a thread.

Unfortunately I'm heading for more of a "Flash" kinda body... although he can circumnavigate the globe in a single night... hmm, new conclusion... santa is the Flash!

34. vaderbreath

vaderbreath Well-Known Member

Here are a couple. I have about 5 different suits, but this is my favorite. It was designed by a maker in Hollywood to my specifications. I've done mall work, corporate parties, home visits. I love it, but I don't have much time for it anymore. One pic is with my natural beard, the other with a professional yak set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. Jeebee25

Jeebee25 Active Member

Wow! And you have the Tim Allen belt too!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

36. TurboTrey03

TurboTrey03 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

These are great!

If anyone has Netflix and wants to check out a Santa doc, I highly recommend "Becoming Santa"

Here's mine..:lol
    Store bought hat/jacket I retrimmed
    [​IMG]

37. John Hart

John Hart Member

Here is the latest Santa suit I made.
    2011santahorizon.jpg
    Here it is with the hood up.
    9x6IMG_0419.jpg

38. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

These are great! :cool:thumbsup I'm giving some thought to making Father Christmas from Narnia for next year.

39. Jeebee25

Jeebee25 Active Member

I did a photo shoot with my Ghostbusters team (The Windy City Ghostbusters www.windycitygb.com) and here are the results -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. VilleLeskinen

VilleLeskinen Sr Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome photos Jeebee25! :thumbsup

41. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wish my suit looked as good as some of the ones shown here. :cry
    I dress up as Santa every year, but have to really hide my face so that my kids don't realize it's Daddy under that fake and really annoying beard.

And yes, the whole family gets into the spirit too. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

David

42. Entertain349

Entertain349 New Member

This is for the fabulous Santa, wearing the Tim Allen belt: in the same photo of you wearing the Tim Allen belt - The yak wig and beard is brilliant! Can you tell me where you bought it from and the exact name of the beard, as I play santa myself and would love a yak one exactly the same as yours. Yak wigs and beards are very hard to get in the UK. Many thanks. Santa Simon

43. mathew

mathew Active Member

But your not dutch right??
    Btw zwarte piet never goes wrong ( look at the stupid discussion we have now, it's a children's holiday for crying out loud)

44. Indy Magnoli

No, but there are a lot of Dutch traditions here in New Zealand.

45. kev359

kev359 New Member

home 028.JPG
    this is me

46. kev359

kev359 New Member

:lol 578125_10202510967350525_924369556_n.jpg
    this is me also the suit is homemade and the waistcoat made by myself the boots are just wellies with fur stuck on

- - - Updated - - -

the elf is my grandson he was not happy

- - - Updated - - -

the elf is my grandson he was not happy

47. capodimusica

capodimusica New Member

Here are some updated views of my favorite suit.

1531643_684537001567279_1300743545_n.jpg photo6.jpg SantaJClaus.jpg

48. Jeebee25

Jeebee25 Active Member

How's your foot doing buddy?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

49. capodimusica

capodimusica New Member

Slowly but surely, thank you. Should be walking by March.

50. mrbennie

mrbennie New Member

That's really cool! Good job. With all the traditional Santas, its cool to see this.