Sandtrooper back-pack grey color

TK1536

Sr Member
What's the exact color used for the lower pans and bottles? It looks like a blue-ish grey to me... not the typical grey colors used on Stormtrooper helmet accents.

Also, while I have a nice tube to use for the side tube, it looks a little too thick to my eye and the end caps are way off in accuracy. Anyone have a lead on the actual one used?

Any leads on the 'oil can' thing at the bottom... and the ribbed item in the following picture. Granted, most of these things can be improvised (I already have), but I'm looking for dead-on replicas.

Thanks.

backpack_rpf.jpg

Ribbed thing looks like some sort of Expanding plumbing part.

And is that Black tape holding the 2 blue bricks?

oh... forgot. The Radar Dish... I know it's a Tupperware lid of some sort from the 70's. I was lucky enough to actually have one... but it's not the exact same one. The one in the picture looks to be made of two parts. If I can't find that, I'm not too concerned... but if anyone has a lead, I'm all ears.

Here is the pics of the MDK pack we are making. We just made the parts. Even though they are based off of the Marmit and Koto packs, you can see that our parts are pretty close. We did a bunch of research and think we may have found the source to some of these parts. But really who knows?

As far as the correct paint? that IMHO is hard to tell. We jsut used the same color as on the Stormtrooper Frown. I like the slightly bluer look though.

It has allready been discussed that the Ribbed part (that people usualy use a plunger for) was actualy a "Ball Pipe Plug" like this here....

testballpipeplug4cd.jpg

mdkprototype12yt.jpg

mdkprototype23ux.jpg

mdkprototype45kb.jpg

PARTS:
RADAR DISH: yeah I know not as canon as a tupperware lid. but IMHO looks MUCH better.
marmitpack05.jpg

Funnel canister at bottm (we called the Oil Canister)
MDK%20Pack%20working%20016.jpg

Tubes:
MDK%20Vaporator%20Parts%20011.jpg

Plunger Piece:
MDK%20Plunger%20051.jpg

All of these parts were molded and then we made some SUPER light Weight Hyperfirm Rubber parts.

MDK%20MVP%20Unit%20022.jpg

The boxes of course are not painted correctly above. This pack was thrown together to make sure all the parts fit well together. The whole pack can be lifted by one finger. :p

The bottles in the pics above are nothing like we are using, they were just thrown on there real quick for pictures. So ignore the bottles.

Also that fram was a prototype for support and a different frame has since been created.

mdkprototype12yt.jpg

Was the radio section deliberately left off-center or did it come loose during filming? Does it swing free on your pack or is it fixed in that position. Awesome pack and I can't wait until it becomes available.

Another option might be an old ballcock floater. The ballcock is the valve that stops the flow on your toilet. The older ones (and maybe some of the newer ones as well) use a lever attached to a float. When the float gets to a certain level in the tank, the lever cuts off the water flow.

Originally posted by eltee@Jan 6 2006, 01:37 PM
Was the radio section deliberately left off-center or did it come loose during filming? Does it swing free on your pack or is it fixed in that position. Awesome pack and I can't wait until it becomes available.
[snapback]1152451[/snapback]​

We tilted it a little because on of the Marmit packs has it tilted. And I know that many people here hate the Marmit pack and the fact that some think of it as movie accurate (of which it is not. Close) We used the Marmit as a template since there arent any 100% clear fantastic photos of the movie packs. One's that show a crap load of detail. And besides there seems to be multiple radio boxes, etc, so we just stuck with the one design.

MARMIT: and names we gave to parts after great discussion and research.
Marmit%20Pack%20Parts.jpg

Here is another part we are working on. Time to get this puppy into the mold.
(remember, we are not trying to build a 100% accurate movie pack with realistic looking parts)

vacuumfilternotgoodenough5xi.jpg

EDIT: You know, I just realized that it kinda sounded like I hijacked this thread and I appologize for that. Was not my intention. The discussion had come up of seperate parts, thought I'd show what I was working on.

I don't think it's hijacking... I'm looking for a good back pack discussion. Also, with regards to that heat sink, the screen capture almost looks like something is just rolled up, but it's coming unrolled maybe?

Why does everyone put the "radio" on upside down?
Look at the picture of the "filter" with the red cirle 2 above, and the radio is not upsidedown

Originally posted by TK1536@Jan 7 2006, 05:07 PM
I don't think it's hijacking... I'm looking for a good back pack discussion. Also, with regards to that heat sink, the screen capture almost looks like something is just rolled up, but it's coming unrolled maybe?
[snapback]1153139[/snapback]​

I agree. I think it is some sort of filter or corrugated material that is NOT actually a circle but has been cut and shaped into a very half-assed circle.

we may have found another screenused part.
top of the upper bottle, look yourself...

bowl.jpg

and here the reference shot:

sandtroopers016part.jpg

i think it is the real deal.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back