Sanding down gloss paint, then regaining a shine???

gonk27

Sr Member
Hi all

I'm aproaching the painting stages on my R2 and I'd like to end up with a nice smooth white sheen on him!

In most parts of the Star Wars films R2 seems either matt or satin white, or to have more of a gleaming shine than a high gloss - even when he's supposed to have been cleaned up.. this is the look I'd like to duplicate
icon_smile.gif

I'm using a gloss white automotive spray paint at the moment, then dulling it with fine grade glass paper, but can I put back some degree of shine with a polish of some sort?

I've heard that some people have done similar things to achieve the this kind of finish on ANH Vader helmets..

If anyone who's done this can help me that would be great!
icon_smile.gif

Jeremy

You can try a "clear coat safe" polishing compound. It's a super fine grit (probably in the 5000 grit or higher range).

The other option (and cheaper) is toothpaste. It's a micro grit as well. You'll just have to rinse afterwards (unless you don't mind R2 having minty breath
icon_lol.gif
).

I've also seen gloss restore kits at some online hobby shops. It looks like it's a set of finer and finer sand paper designed to restore damaged gloss coats.

-Fred

Thanks for that Gigatron!
icon_smile.gif

I'll have a good look for a polishing compound like that or nearest to it that I can find here in the UK.. Failing that I'll get out me toothpaste!

Would that Future Floor polish stuff work?? I think there's a similar sort of product available here.

thanks again!

Jeremy

I believe the future wax would add a high gloss (almost like the spray on gloss clear coat). You could try it on a small out of the way spot and experiment with the amount of buffing. I guess if you don't buff it, it won't have the high gloss.

-Fred

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back