Sanding aluminum

Nicodimas

Hi there

wondering your thoughts on sanding aluminum ? I have one of these aluminum b5 ppgs and wanted insight.

I usually work on steel , so kitchen knives. So that knowledge might have gotten me in a little trouble.. As I started with probably the wrong grit..

what’s the best grit to work to create a satin finish you think? I have been playing with 220 (too much material lost) to 800.

I have a scotchbrite belt xtra fine that seems to work well too on certain surfaces to get all the scratches going the same way.

I'm no expert, but have sanded and polished aluminum pieces to create the fins on my TOS phaser. Can't remember starting grit, but worked my way down to 600 grit and finished with a thick cotton cloth with Turtle Wax rubbing compound for a super shine. For satin finish, maybe 600 grit alone would achieve that?

Depending on the “brush” finish you want, 400 or 600 usually does it. Try it wet, with a drop of dish soap in the water. Light pressure or you load the paper.

You may consider some sort of guide to keep the scratches straight.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back