San Francisco Area prop peeps?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by TylerHam, Nov 9, 2011.

1. TylerHam

TylerHam Well-Known Member

Hi All -

I see a lot of "Bay Area" locations in the crowd, but I was wondering who all is local to the SF Bay Area? Would be nice to meet some similarly interested people, and would be nice to have a group resource for nearby help or tips too - Im sure we can all learn something from each other -

Either way, Ill start. Im obviously local -

Anyone else?

Tyler

2. LizardJedi

LizardJedi Sr Member

My location says So Cal but right now I'm in San Jose...

3. mrsmartypants

mrsmartypants Well-Known Member

I'm in Marin County.

4. DepPotts

DepPotts New Member

I'm originally from Marin County. Now living in Sonoma County. Mostly a lurker here but I'd love to meet some of the local guys.

5. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

Ocean Beach, represent! The four-one-five, yo.

6. ictvuser

ictvuser Well-Known Member

South Bay

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  7. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Currently in Santa Rosa, work in Nicasio. Relocating to Marin soon.

8. garybarth

garybarth Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm down on the penninsula in San Carlos.

9. Ikariya

Ikariya Well-Known Member

San Jose too.

10. TylerHam

Great to meet you all. I'm a Marin person too. Would Be fun to meet up sometime

11. Jlewis

Jlewis Well-Known Member

I'm in Sunnyvale during the week and over in Manteca on weekends. All my stuff is over there. Been several years since we had a NorCal prop party. The last was held up in the Sac area in 2008.

J

12. The Wolf

The Wolf Sr Member

I'm in Santa Rosa.

Wolf

13. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Its off topic but id love to settle up in El Sob Or Petaluma.

14. Wolfie

Wolfie Sr Member

Just to jump in where not invited, but I was in San Fran / Marin / Petaluma last weekend. Its very pretty there. If I had to live in California for some reason, I'd certainly pick somewhere around there.

15. Larry Young

Petaluma, everyone? It smells like cow * most days.

16. CeSquared

CeSquared Sr Member

Live in Los Altos, work in Sunnyvale.

17. DepPotts

DepPotts New Member

Despite the occasional cow * smell. I'd never live anywhere else now that I've spent time in Petaluma. This town is pretty fantastic.

18. Jewels

Jewels New Member

My husband and I went to a number of the Norther Ca prop party a number of years back. We are in Central, Ca but travel to the SF area number fo times for various events during the year.

Zendragon likes this.
  19. Wolfie

Wolfie Sr Member

Only place we noticed rank was the landfill off 101. Well, and various San fran areas. And the homeless lady and the other homeless lady I bought a cheese burger. Though considering LA, its still a pretty good record.

maybe you stepped in something when you were out there and it followed you around? :angel

20. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Located in San Jose as well...Shocked to see so many other 408 locals. I've met a couple guys who haven't posted in here yet that live in the area as well. Great people, although I always feel like such a child in the meet ups (lol I'm 25, someday I'd like to find the average age of members on the forum).

21. Larry Young

I have to drive through Petaluma to get to my father-in-law's up at Sea Ranch, which I've done easily 25 times a year for the last 15.

Of course Petaluma is lovely and I have a huge fondness for the Wendy's on East Washington, but, trust me, when it's hot out Petaluma is a fragrant place. :lol

22. Wolfie

Wolfie Sr Member

Yeeeaahh Cool Weather has the nice effect of keeping smells down. lol

Maybe i'd just build a tree house in Muir Woods, though I imagine hippies smell worse in hot weather too. Darned if you do, darned if you don't I suppose.

23. AbbyDarkStar

AbbyDarkStar Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Zendragon and I live in the East Bay area and actually have been considering hosting a prop-party for the Northern California RPF'ers.

We have a huge deck area (both upper and lower) and back yard to work on props. If we did host a party, would you rather it be just a meet/greet until the weather got warmer or if its a warm sunny day, bring props to work out on the deck?

When would be a good time to do so with the holidays and etc coming up?

24. TylerHam

Thats a nice offer Abby - A big deck would be great for something like this, weather permitting

I was also thinking that my complex has a really big pool house that you can rent to host events - Of course the pool woudn't really be to attractive in the winter, but the room is nice and big - And it has a fireplace, big TV, kitchen, etc - So food could be easy -

I was thinking maybe late Jan / Early Feb - after the holiday rush is over???

25. Stuntman Mike

Stuntman Mike Active Member

Didn't realize there were so many other bay area folks either. Sunnyvale for me.

26. AbbyDarkStar

AbbyDarkStar Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds like we have some great options! Let's get this together!! ^_^

27. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Live in Cotati, work in Petaluma. And yes, the cow * smell makes it to Cotati once in a while. All those dairies west of town stink it up once in a while, usually late afternoon.

28. Fugazibaka

Fugazibaka New Member

East/North Bay, Hercules-Pinole here. Amazing how many of you are local. I wouldn't be surprised if i had unknowingly met a few of you at wondercon or some of the other events that are held in SF.

29. TylerHam

I think we are close to maybe nailing down a get together!

I live in Marin but work in Redwood City, so I cover a lot of bay area daily... :)

Abby's place would be East Bay, and my pool house obviously in Marin - Both of which seem pretty "central" considering people seem to be spread from Santa Rosa to San Jose

Zendragon likes this.
  30. TylerHam

dbl post

31. recblue8

recblue8 New Member

S. Bay. Meeting up would be fun!

32. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your idea is a good one too! We live in El Sobrante, which is not a bad in between location. It would be a bring your own 6' table sort of thing and probably not something we could do till the weather warmed up. But I am all for more of us getting together locally.

33. TylerHam

Hi Zen -
    Maybe the pool house would be a good place then, since its inside and the weather wont be a factor?

Ill look into available days and put a feeler out her.. i assume everyone would prefer a Saturday?

34. Zendragon

Yea I think the pool house could be great. Do they have tables and chairs?

35. TylerHam

They sure do! Ill take some pics and post them up here but its a good spot for sure!

36. mrsmartypants

mrsmartypants Well-Known Member

Sounds like either locale would work. I'm definitely interested. :thumbsup

37. Jlewis

Jlewis Well-Known Member

I'd be up for a getogether and prop/collection showing.

J

38. Jewels

Jewels New Member

Did someone say that Zendragon has a big Deck?

39. zanderwitaz

zanderwitaz Well-Known Member

I live in the OC but I frequent my family in San Jose.

40. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

In SF on the Daly City border :) Also near Colma lots of old time celebs buried there :) Maybe a SF/bay area movie location tour? We have the Cow Palace, Mission Armory, City Hall, Presidio, GG bridge, lots of historic locations oh and can't forget ILM, (Don Bies gave a few folks access back in the day), Zoetrope, THX1138, American Grafitti, Explorers, Dirty Hary, Bullet filming locations.

I'd love to go to a meet/greet workshop thing ;) Maybe a TechShop thing :) Maybe a bay area prop/replica mailing list. I think a few years back Fangoria had a mini convention in the San Mateo fair grounds. I'm stuck in class right now at SFSU and maybe this post was wordy and full of tangents ;)

41. Luuke

Luuke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm in Milpitas. For those of you like Jlewis and Keith who might remember I started the Bay Area Prop Parites all those years ago. First was just a few friends in Fremont, then a friends special fx shop in San Leandro then Jlewis was nice enough to offer his building facility in San Jose. It's been a few years. We should definatey get another party together. My wife is a teacher in San Jose and I'm going to check with my kids school. I'm going to see if the schools will let us use their multi-purpose room which is pretty big for a saturday or sunday. What do you guys think about January?

42. TylerHam

I was going to look into the pool room at my place for Feb - But if the spot in San Jose works better for everyone Im up sore it - I think Marin is a little more central for SF / eastbay / Santa rosa people though - But Ill leave it to the majority

43. Zlurpo

Zlurpo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I grew up in Palo Alto... sadly nowhere near anymore. But keep this thread alive, maybe Adam Savage will notice it.

44. sparrowed

sparrowed Well-Known Member

Yay! Sea Ranch here, too! But Berkeley the other 99% of the time! :lol

45. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like work will be moving me to Berkeley soon! I'd love to have a get together sometime. I have a lot of model meet ups, plastic kits, resin kits etc and am surprised that there has not been a prop meet up out here.

46. Larry Young

I love Sea Ranch so much. And the deli sandwiches at Surf Super are the best thing ever. :lol

47. Zendragon

I am down for January

48. sparrowed

sparrowed Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The BEST market around!

It's a great area and I always look forward to going up there!
    Our place is off Leeward, near One Eyed Jack's Park, Shell Beach area.

Soooo...San Jo?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  49. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

South SF!!! Technically, Im on the boarder of daly city, sf, pacifica, colma, ect u get the picture lol. As for a place i have a clubhouse in my complex. It's big enough to fit 50+ people. Also would love to get tips and stuff

50. Luuke

Luuke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I had a chat with my kids principal. He really likes the idea of the party and he's approving the use of the schools multi-purpose room. I need to talk to the D.O. and get approval from them and find out what the janatorial fee is. If its cheap enough, I'll cover that cost. Basically it's to cover the janatorial services for that Saturday. Other than that it looks like we'll have a place to do the party. Now we just need to figure out when in January or February to have the party. I'll have to check my calendar and post some dates. I understand that no matter what date we pick, someone won't be able to make it. The goal is to get as many people as possible to attend. I'm looking forward to this. It's been a while.